      Sent: Saturday, April 29, 2006 2:54 AM
      Subject: Re: [TaxoCoP] Re: What is a taxonomy (I snipped majority of memo, large w exampl

      My definition, if the focus is to differentiate the two things, is:

      A taxonomy is limited to hierarchical relationships between concepts, like parent-child and whole-part. Therefore a taxonomy is very clear and easy to understand. It can be displayed in a simple outline form and understood by anyone with zero explanation. An ontology can model any kind of relationship, and is therefore perfectly flexible and frighteningly complex. It is an excellent technique for defining complex rules for a computer, but is not really meant to be presented to people.

      --
      James Melzer
      http://www.jamesmelzer.com

      On 4/28/06, limeginger <susandoran@... > wrote:
      Yeah, thanks!

      I guess I'm asking the group if you were a vendor (with your current
      skillset and level of knowledge) and had to sum up the difference
      between taxonomies and ontologies in 1 or 2 sentences to a potential
      customer (who also is knowlegeable) what would you say? Remember: your
      response may be repeated as "funny" on a listserv! ;->

      I'll start: A taxonomy organizes a set of terms into a hierarchy
      (wherein relationships are defined, usually through "rules"
      associating terms to other terms); an ontology is a similar entitty
      that includes properties, relationships, and inferences to provide
      additional dimensions, context, and meaning to a term.

      That's awkward and harder than I thought--anyone else?

      -Susan

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic