Help...inkscape troubles.

  • mommyto3
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2012
      I made a pattern, and i went and diagrammed everything out...i saved the second part of it, but when i went to save the first, it wouldn't save...I found a way around...but copying an old file, renaming and doing it that way...i got inkscape to save...but it won't let me save it as a pdf...so is there anyone who would be willing to convert it to pdf for me, through inkscape...

      also i have tried all sorts of online converters, and print to pdf thingys...but all have problems and none wholly convert it.

      also if anyone knows how to solve the saving issue...that would help heeps.

      *Shannon
    • Cynthia
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2012
        It is my understanding that you can't go directly from inkscape to pdf...The way I do it is copy and paste into a word document then use the cutepdf to make that a pdf. Pdf995 works too but has ads...

        Peace, Cyn

        --- In TattingDesigners@yahoogroups.com, "mommyto3" <shannon_in_love@...> wrote:

        > I made a pattern, and i went and diagrammed everything out...i saved the second part of it, but when i went to save the first, it wouldn't save...I found a way around...but copying an old file, renaming and doing it that way...i got inkscape to save...but it won't let me save it as a pdf...so is there anyone who would be willing to convert it to pdf for me, through inkscape...
        >
        > also i have tried all sorts of online converters, and print to pdf thingys...but all have problems and none wholly convert it.
        >
        > also if anyone knows how to solve the saving issue...that would help heeps.
        >
        > *Shannon

      • Shannon Campos
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2012
          i tried something like that, but the quality of the document was severely compromised. the words were missing in places and the image was blocky.

          It is my understanding that you can't go directly from inkscape to pdf...The way I do it is copy and paste into a word document then use the cutepdf to make that a pdf. Pdf995 works too but has ads...

          Peace, Cyn

          --- In TattingDesigners@yahoogroups.com, "mommyto3" <shannon_in_love@...> wrote:

          > I made a pattern, and i went and diagrammed everything out...i saved the second part of it, but when i went to save the first, it wouldn't save...I found a way around...but copying an old file, renaming and doing it that way...i got inkscape to save...but it won't let me save it as a pdf...so is there anyone who would be willing to convert it to pdf for me, through inkscape...
          >
          > also i have tried all sorts of online converters, and print to pdf thingys...but all have problems and none wholly convert it.
          >
          > also if anyone knows how to solve the saving issue...that would help heeps.
          >
          > *Shannon

        • Misti Hamon
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2012
            I just did a quick test, not a tatting diagram, using inkscape and CutePDF on my Windows 7 Home Premium laptop, and I was able to print to PDF with no loss.  To get from inkscape to PDF using this set up, you have to print, not save, using CutePDF as your printer.

            Sorry, not help with the saving issue, but, if you are still unable to get your pattern into PDF format, and are willing to send me the inkscape file, I could get it into PDF format for you.

            Misti

            On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Shannon Campos <shannon_in_love@...> wrote:

            i tried something like that, but the quality of the document was severely compromised. the words were missing in places and the image was blocky.

            It is my understanding that you can't go directly from inkscape to pdf...The way I do it is copy and paste into a word document then use the cutepdf to make that a pdf. Pdf995 works too but has ads...

            Peace, Cyn

            --- In TattingDesigners@yahoogroups.com, "mommyto3" <shannon_in_love@...> wrote:

            > I made a pattern, and i went and diagrammed everything out...i saved the second part of it, but when i went to save the first, it wouldn't save...I found a way around...but copying an old file, renaming and doing it that way...i got inkscape to save...but it won't let me save it as a pdf...so is there anyone who would be willing to convert it to pdf for me, through inkscape...
            >
            > also i have tried all sorts of online converters, and print to pdf thingys...but all have problems and none wholly convert it.
            >
            > also if anyone knows how to solve the saving issue...that would help heeps.
            >
            > *Shannon

          • yumatatter
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2012
              Hi!
              Try this program...free pdf creator.
              http://www.exp-systems.com/pdfredirect/downloads.htm
              Once you've installed it, will be brought up in your list of printers...just use it instead of a physical printer. I have used it for years...love it!
              Just tried it with Inkscape...worked fine. :-)
              Yuma Tatter

              --- In TattingDesigners@yahoogroups.com, "mommyto3" <shannon_in_love@...> wrote:

              > I made a pattern, and i went and diagrammed everything out...i saved the second part of it, but when i went to save the first, it wouldn't save...I found a way around...but copying an old file, renaming and doing it that way...i got inkscape to save...but it won't let me save it as a pdf...so is there anyone who would be willing to convert it to pdf for me, through inkscape...
              >
              > also i have tried all sorts of online converters, and print to pdf thingys...but all have problems and none wholly convert it.
              >
              > also if anyone knows how to solve the saving issue...that would help heeps.
              >
              > *Shannon

            • Cynthia Stevenson
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2012
                My computer saves them automatically from cutepdf.
                Peace, Cyn

                tattingaway.blogspot.com  is my blog for tatting

                Cynthia Stevenson, CEO BrasThatFit (brasthatfit@...)

                Everyone talks about a better tomorrow, but wouldn't it be nice if we started by making today a little more pleasant? John N. Logan, artist

                Always remember you have within you the strength, the patience and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world. Harriet Tubman

                It is my understanding that you can't go directly from inkscape to pdf...The way I do it is copy and paste into a word document then use the cutepdf to make that a pdf. Pdf995 works too but has ads...

                Peace, Cyn

                --- In TattingDesigners@yahoogroups.com, "mommyto3" <shannon_in_love@...> wrote:

                > I made a pattern, and i went and diagrammed everything out...i saved the second part of it, but when i went to save the first, it wouldn't save...I found a way around...but copying an old file, renaming and doing it that way...i got inkscape to save...but it won't let me save it as a pdf...so is there anyone who would be willing to convert it to pdf for me, through inkscape...
                >
                > also i have tried all sorts of online converters, and print to pdf thingys...but all have problems and none wholly convert it.
                >
                > also if anyone knows how to solve the saving issue...that would help heeps.
                >
                > *Shannon

              • brasthatfit
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 1, 2012
                  I don't know why my computer is playing with the size of the font...It is bouncing back and forth between 12 and 36...sorry if I ever figure it out I will fix it. Peace, Cyn

                  --- In TattingDesigners@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia Stevenson <brasthatfit@...> wrote:

                  > My computer saves them automatically from cutepdf.
                  > Peace, Cyn
                  >
                  > tattingaway.blogspot.com  is my blog for tatting
                  >

                  > Cynthia Stevenson, CEO BrasThatFit (brasthatfit@...)
                  >
                  > Everyone talks about a better tomorrow, but wouldn't it be nice if we started by making today a little more pleasant? John N. Logan, artist
                  >
                  > Always remember you have within you the strength, the patience and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world. Harriet Tubman
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Monica Mancenido
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 1, 2012
                    Hello Shannon, I am not sure if you have solved the issue already, but here is my two cents anyway...
                    I usually prefer to make only the graphics in inkscape, and then move to a word processing program (ie. Word, I personally use Open Office) for the explanations, etc, and export as pdf from there.
                    In my system, the "print" dialog, includes a "print to file" option. I hope you could intall a program to do it tht way, it is the easiest by far!
                    Peace,

                    Monica

                    On 1 October 2012 15:54, Shannon Campos <shannon_in_love@...> wrote:

                    i tried something like that, but the quality of the document was severely compromised. the words were missing in places and the image was blocky.

                    It is my understanding that you can't go directly from inkscape to pdf...The way I do it is copy and paste into a word document then use the cutepdf to make that a pdf. Pdf995 works too but has ads...

                    Peace, Cyn

                    --- In TattingDesigners@yahoogroups.com, "mommyto3" <shannon_in_love@...> wrote:

                    > I made a pattern, and i went and diagrammed everything out...i saved the second part of it, but when i went to save the first, it wouldn't save...I found a way around...but copying an old file, renaming and doing it that way...i got inkscape to save...but it won't let me save it as a pdf...so is there anyone who would be willing to convert it to pdf for me, through inkscape...
                    >
                    > also i have tried all sorts of online converters, and print to pdf thingys...but all have problems and none wholly convert it.
                    >
                    > also if anyone knows how to solve the saving issue...that would help heeps.
                    >
                    > *Shannon

                  • Shannon Campos
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 1, 2012
                      Thank you guys for all your help, i have tried the ideas listed...misti volunteered to convert it for me. so that should solve the problem until i can spend more time figuring it out...seriously...three days...what a pain in the butt...but i find inkscape really easy (most of the time) to use..so thanks for the suggestions...