Re: [TattingDesigners] Sue, Did You Ask For Class Ideas?

  • sktattingdesigner@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2012
      Hi Barb,
      Yes, I asked for class ideas and think it was is last week's classes rather than in a post. I'd love to go back to focusing again on creativity and how to unleash it. We talked about it a lot when our classes first started last Nov. and I've been wanting to get back to it.

      I'm hoping a some point Gina will want to again do the Inkscape classes every month so I will just be doing the creativity and design portion, though for the summer I have really enjoyed doing the Inkscape color tutorial. I just cannot keep up with both but am worried that Gina got bummed out when members complemented me so much on how that loved the way I was doing the Color Tutorial when we first started it. She has never taught anything before or done tutorials like this so I think she felt that in comparison she was not doing a good enough job. But I know many of us enjoyed her Inkscape sessions very much and thought how she was doing was great! She has this summer though had personal issues also.

      I do not remember that I  focused much on hindrances to creativity and breaking through a block so that would be a perfect topic (thanks for that idea!). I just went to get the book I recently acquired, Creativity by Mihaly Csikszenthmihalyi. I see on the cover it says he is also the Author of a bestseller book called Flow; could that have been one of the books you used?

      I've had Julie Cameron's book, The Artist's Way, for quite a few years and just last month picked up her book "The Vein of Gold; A Journey to Your Creative Heart.

      I just went to your blog and loved reading about your beaded leaf bracelet and how the idea came from your macrame hanging. That's exactly the type of designer stories I am hoping to get from others.

      When finishing up our Color wheels on Sept 11th we'll be making a hexagon in Inkscape. Then I was going to segue from that into discussing the hexagon as one of the basic shapes used to begin tatted medallions (Elgiva Nichol's and Rhoda Ault both discuss the hexagon and basic tatting shapes and tatting design in their books) then we'd go more into creating designs from basic shapes and creativity.

      So going into creativity, flow, and hindrances the next week Sept. 18 will work great.

      And what I now know I want to do is put off my "Heart's Desire" process discussion; I did it in Illustrator and will have to transpose it into Inkscape, probably make an Inkscape tutorial for it and I really don't feel like doing any more Inkscape for a bit.  And for those who haven't been able to attend classes this summer and are more interested in Inkscape rather than creativity,  they will have the Color Tutorial to work through and can still ask questions about that in class and of course get responses.

      Does this sound reasonable to you Barb? Thanks so much for your response and input to my request- you're the only one who has responded to my query and I so appreciate it! I think I still have an earlier email from you with suggestions that I just haven't gotten to but I was happy to get it and will respond.

      Thanks again and Best Wishes,
      Sue

      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 2012
        Gentle tatters we are forgetting something here...First a quote from Sue's message in reply to Barb..."... I think she felt that in comparison she was not doing a good enough job..." Maybe and I totally agree with this next part."But I know many of us enjoyed her Inkscape sessions very much and thought how she was doing was great!" Now the part we are forgetting...(Caps just for emphasis as it won't give me another option to emphasize) WITHOUT GINA'S HELP SOME OF US--ME FOR SURE--WOULD NEVER HAVE LEARNED HOW TO USE INKSCAPE!!!!!!!!!!!!! GINA IS AWESOME, AMAZING, BRILLIANT AND I SUSPECT WE MAY HAVE NOT GIVEN HER THE CREDIT SHE DESERVES...shame on us.

        Note to Gina--without your help I could not ever have gotten inkscape to work. It expects the user to have a skill set that I did not have as I am just not that computer literate and without your help I'd still be drawing circles with a crayon and scanning them in...I almost have the new tutorial for the butterfly done...with inkscape illustrations--awesome and thank you Gina.

        Now back to Sue's message...Yes Gina has had some issues this summer that have kept her away. I suspect many of us are keeping her in our thoughts and prayers as she deals with one of life's blows. Her beloved 4 legged family member, Pharoh had reached the end of his life here on earth. I know that Gina and Pharoh will meet again in spirit after she also crosses the rainbow bridge and leaves this life. I hope it will be years and years before they meet again and her personal issues get resolved soon as I for 1 miss her awesome sense of humor and the fun she has in life and laughing with us when we mess up.

        Peace, Cyn

        --- In TattingDesigners@yahoogroups.com, sktattingdesigner@... wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > And what I now know I want to do is put off my "Heart's Desire" process discussion; I did it in Illustrator and will have to transpose it into Inkscape, probably make an Inkscape tutorial for it and I really don't feel like doing any more Inkscape for a bit. And for those who haven't been able to attend classes this summer and are more interested in Inkscape rather than creativity, they will have the Color Tutorial to work through and can still ask questions about that in class and of course get responses.
        >
        > Does this sound reasonable to you Barb? Thanks so much for your response and input to my request- you're the only one who has responded to my query and I so appreciate it! I think I still have an earlier email from you with suggestions that I just haven't gotten to but I was happy to get it and will respond.

      • Sue
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 1, 2012
          Thanks so much Cyn for your response. I too would never have been able to do what I did this summer in Inkscape without Gina. She is my life savior and without her I just might have decided that I could not run this class any longer.

          I had used a different drawing program previously and was falling apart trying to do the lessons for us in Tatting Designers; I was rapidly sinking and wondering if I had made an error in starting the class so quickly, just the week after we initially discussed it, and without any previous preparation ready.

          Gina is so much better and more knowledgeable in Inkscape than I was and answering so many questions, that I couldn't even answer, and so quickly that I asked her if she might be willing to do some of the Inkscape lessons. She was hesitant because she had never taught before but decided to jump in and try and we decided she would do every other week, and I would do the design and creativity portion every other week.

          Well it worked out wonderfully. She has done great classes for us and I was able to learn to get around so much better in Inkscape from her as well as have the time to prepare for my creativity and design weeks.

          Then when it was time for our Color study of our design journey I decided I had just enough Inkscape to try a tutorial. If I had added up all the the time I've spent making it for this summer I know I have spent at least 10 full days working on it and learning more Inkscape as I went along which is one of the reasons it takes me so long. I would still have wanted to do it and glad that we Gina and I decided to go on having the class meet during the summer instead of taking it off like the other online tatting classes.

          Since I've taught computer graphics and desktop publishing in a large Community College for about 5 years, as well as taken community college classes about teaching online, the structure of making a tutorial for this type of class was the easiest part for me since I'd done it so much before.

          Gina is my partner who gives me the support I need to keep going which I really want to do because I love teaching and particularly this class. I have really enjoyed doing the color theory and Inkscape this summer but could not continue doing this type of tutorial regularly, it was a summer special.

          Since we provide this class voluntarily, which I totally want to do and had planned, I also need time this to begin again teaching tatting and crochet classes this fall since I have retired from the college but still need to bring in some income.

          Well, I'll jump off my soapbox now!

          Thanks for listening, Sue

          this time in my home since i in my home

          Because of Gina and all the rest of you who come and contribute regularly I could not keep going. I also received help by getting designing information for a couple of our classes from Martha Ess and Teri Dusenbury who sent me emails about their designing process.

          --- In TattingDesigners@yahoogroups.com, "Cynthia" <brasthatfit@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > > And what I now know I want to do is put off my "Heart's Desire" process discussion; I did it in Illustrator and will have to transpose it into Inkscape, probably make an Inkscape tutorial for it and I really don't feel like doing any more Inkscape for a bit. And for those who haven't been able to attend classes this summer and are more interested in Inkscape rather than creativity, they will have the Color Tutorial to work through and can still ask questions about that in class and of course get responses.
          > >
          > > Does this sound reasonable to you Barb? Thanks so much for your response and input to my request- you're the only one who has responded to my query and I so appreciate it! I think I still have an earlier email from you with suggestions that I just haven't gotten to but I was happy to get it and will respond.

        • brenda evans
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 1, 2012
            I haven't done much in the design group. It's the day that is the problem. But I agree wholeheartedly Gina is all of the things
            Cynthia said. Gina is very helpful in all sorts of areas. She helped me to get videos into my iPod. Nothing to do with tatting
            except the videos I have put in my iPod are tatting techniques. The are the for reference just in case I forget a technique that I need to do for a particular pattern. She was very patient with me, it took me quite some time to get the videos.

            She is one of my cyber space friends. I know if we met I would like her.

            Keep smiling be happy.
            Brenda.

            On 1 Sep 2012, at 21:45, Cynthia wrote:

> [...]

            > And what I now know I want to do is put off my "Heart's Desire" process discussion; I did it in Illustrator and will have to transpose it into Inkscape, probably make an Inkscape tutorial for it and I really don't feel like doing any more Inkscape for a bit. And for those who haven't been able to attend classes this summer and are more interested in Inkscape rather than creativity, they will have the Color Tutorial to work through and can still ask questions about that in class and of course get responses.
            >
            > Does this sound reasonable to you Barb? Thanks so much for your response and input to my request- you're the only one who has responded to my query and I so appreciate it! I think I still have an earlier email from you with suggestions that I just haven't gotten to but I was happy to get it and will respond.

          • Cynthia
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 1, 2012
              To steal a line....It takes a tatting community to design a class...

              I have often felt that way...without the talents of all the people who do share of their knowledge, skill, talents our tatting community would be a lot poorer. Unfortunately many of the people who share are the unsung heroes we forget to acknowledge or only acknowledge in passing. We are the ones who should be ashamed not of our lack of thankfulness but our forgetfulness in acknowledging their help.

              We all need to be better at that.

              Peace, Cyn

            • sonsery@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 1, 2012
                Hello Sue,

                Thank you your kind words about my blog. I'm so terrible about keeping it up. I really should write on it more often.

                I really like the direction you are thinking of going with the class plans.  It sounds like you've got it planned out nicely. I really like that you are going to bring tatting designs into the class so we can relate design to actual projects.

                About the books I read:  I can't remember the names of the books that I read. I had some notes but lost them somewhere along the line.  I got all of them  from the library except for "The Artist's Way',  which i bought. I remember one of the books was quite old, but it still had some fantastic information. To be honest, I liked the books that I read from the library more than The Artist's Way. But that may be because I read it last and I had already learned most of what she says in her book.

                I really hope that Gina will start teaching Inkscape again too (are you listening Gina?). I love how she does the lessons and how she prepares her information. I really like her teaching style too. Gina has taken her time to help me through private emails too and I'm really grateful for all her help.

                You are welcome about answering your question. I think that sometimes when an instructor asks for input people are a bit shy about offering suggestions because they are afraid they'll offend the teacher. As a beadwork instructor, I really value good, honest, input. It helps make future classes better and benefits the students as well and makes me a better teacher.

                People seem to think that instructors 'know it all' and that we have somehow 'arrived'. That's not necessarily so. Learning is an ongoing living process.  I've learned a lot from my students as well. There's an old saying. "iron sharpens iron". When we surround ourselves with people of like interests we become sharper, more aware and more creative. That's one of the reasons I'm glad you and Gina started the design class.

              • Cynthia
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 1, 2012
                  Well said Barb, I am echoing several items in particular...but the whole thing could go here too. Barb you write better than I do!...grin
                  --" I really value good, honest, input. It helps make future classes better and benefits the students as well and makes me a better teacher."
                  --"I think that sometimes when an instructor asks for input people are a bit shy about offering suggestions because they are afraid they'll offend the teacher."
                  --" I love how she does the lessons and how she (Gina) prepares her information. I really like her teaching style too. Gina has taken her time to help me through private emails too and I'm really grateful for all her help." Ditto for Sue!

                  I also need to write in my blog more often...

                  Peace and hugs, Cyn

                • sonsery@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 1, 2012
                    I second everything that Cynthia said.  Gina, is an awesome teacher and I really miss her too. (Gina are you listening?)  I love the idea of tag-team teaching. I love that Sue, also an awesome teacher,  can concentrate on design concepts and that Gina can teach the mechanics of Inkscape. It's a perfect match and I really hope Gina feels better soon. Losing a  fur-kid is like losing a child and it's devastating. ((((( Gina )))))

                    I think Gina and Sue make the perfect tat-team. Oops. I meant to write tag-team, but hey, tat-team works too. LOL

                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 1, 2012
                      Yes, Sue and Gina have both taken their personal time to help me in private emails too and I really appreciate them both.

                      I'm very fond of both Sue and Gina and I'm so glad I joined the class and have gotten to know them better. They are both good instructors and I really appreciate all their sacrifice. And yours too Cynthia. I really appreciate all of  you ladies. I applaud your efforts and all the time spent 'behind the scenes'. As an instructor myself, I know it takes many many hours of behind the scenes work to research and prepare a class. Unless a person has done it themselves they have no idea of the sacrifice instructors make to bring them a simple, one hour class.

                      I say well done ladies - all three of you!

                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 1, 2012
                        >>> Since we provide this class voluntarily, which I totally want to do and had planned, I also need time this to begin again teaching tatting and crochet classes this fall since I have retired from the college but still need to bring in some income. >>>

                        Sue, are you saying that you are going to take a break from teaching the design classes or just that you can't do the Inkscape part anymore because of time constraints?

                      • Cynthia
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 2, 2012
                          Barb Thank you for the compliment. I appreciate that and know you have a better idea than some of how tricky it can be to teach. Gina, Sue, Georgia all get the same appreciation from those of us who know how much time id truly takes to do these classes. Peace and hugs, Cyn

                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 2, 2012
                            What I'm saying is more like Inkscape may be only a once a month class rather than every other week, though I haven't had Gina's input on this yet, and also ideally I'd like to have a guest speaker once a month or at least every other month.

                            I had the time to spend this summer and using it for this class was my 1st choice. But this fall I will not have so much time to prepare for class.

                            I love teaching this class so much and I need what I get out of the class from all of you. I only meant to say there have been a couple times when I thought I took on more than I could handle, but doing this has been a dream of mine for years. As you said Barb "When we surround ourselves with people of like interests we become sharper, more aware and more creative." The class is my weekly shot of inspiration, tatting and designing encouragement, and friendship. Everyone in class gives me back and teaches me as much as I give to them. I also "really value good, honest, input ...and (it)makes me a better teacher."

                            Every weekend I'm looking forward to the week and the time I will spend with tatting friends not only on Tuesdays for this class but whenever possible the Monday and Thursday classes too.

                            Sue

                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 2, 2012
                              Awesome Sue.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 4, 2012
                                Oh goodness, Yes, I forgot to add Georgia to the list. Geez. How could I have not added her name to my list of tatting heros! Bad Barb. I'm forever grateful to Georgia for her labor of love over the years.  None of this would be here at all if it wasn't for our wonderful Georgia and we'd all still be groping around in the dark trying to figure out how to tat. She's so sweet and humble and  I often wonder if she really realizes the enormous contribution she's made to tatting around the world.