size of rings (for Aurora)

  • ninettacaruso@yahoo.it
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2012
      Hi Aurora,
      I've posted a photo in my album with 3 rings and the lenght of thread used for each. I've worked as my usual, not tighter or looser.
      Inner diameter is about 2mm in all rings; outer diameter is 4mm with thread n.80, 6mm with n.10. Sorry, I couldn't measure outer diam. with thread n.30 with my ruler.
      Inner thread lenght is 0,9cm
      Outer thread lengh is 0,75cm (0,78 with thread 10 but it's a different brand)

      I've tryied to open the file with Inkscape (in order to measure diameters), but need help to set the correct size for the grid and properties of the object. Is there a way to know how it's the lenght of a segment or the diameter of a ring? If I only could set the grid to 3x3mm squared, I would have the same saze of my squared notebook.

      Hope this helps,
      Hugs,
      Ninetta
    • Melanie C
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2012
        Hi Ninetta-

        That's a great idea to share samples. I plan on doing the same measuring next week and posting!

        For the Inkscape question, I bumbled my way to a setting I think you can use:
        File menu
        Document Properties dialogue box
        Grids tab
        New rectangular grid button
        grid units drop down box button: I have the option of pixels, inches, mm, cm m, pc??, pt??

        I used that when I did my diagram of the Hair Bun Holder. I measured the rings, created a shape using the grid set up in mm as a ruler, and using a polar grid set up with mm also. I couldn't keep things lined up otherwise.

        Did that help?
        Melanie

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2012
          Hello Ninetta

          Woaoo you´been working a lot and reading the measure of the rings i suspect you tatted 10 ds although you dont mention it.

          Yes, what you´ve done is useful, you have threads that i dont have and it´s a work already done :) Thankyou, very much.

          I´ve been busy so i´ve not being able to write the instructions as i proised. My fault.

          Taking your work as a guide, maybe it could be better and easier if start with 20 ds.

          What I´ve done is:

          One...Size 10, 1 ring 20ds not very-tight,
          ......Size 10, 1 ring 20ds tight as usual
          ......Size 10, 1 ring 20ds a little bit tighter

          Two...Size 10, 1 ring 30ds not very-tight,
          ......Size 10, 1 ring 30ds tight as usual
          ......Size 10, 1 ring 30ds a little bit tighter

          Three Size 10, 1 ring 40ds not very-tight,
          ......Size 10, 1 ring 40ds tight as usual
          ......Size 10, 1 ring 40ds a little bit tighter

          Four Size 10, 1 ring 50ds not very-tight,
          .....Size 10, 1 ring 50ds tight as usual
          .....Size 10, 1 ring 50ds a little bit tighter

          I start with 20ds because work with smaller rings it´s very hard.

          Cut the end threads, measure the outer and the inner diameter, it varies when you change the size thread or it can varies on the tightness of the stitch. I will use that diference when drawing the shape for the pattern.

          Later, andd carefully open a little, just enough to cut the core thread without unflip one ds (ufff hard). Remove the core thread and working thread. This is used to calc the thread needed.

          For every size thread I have a set of 12 measures (not tight, tight as usual, tighter), that give me the media for: core thread use by 1 ds, working thread used by every ds, diameters, the grow proportion, etc.

          Maybe one of the most important thing it gives the knowledge of the space a ring or a chain will take on the pattern, so you could calculate not just the thread used but the size of the final pattern.

          Evenmore, if you tat a 10ds ring it will be rounded, but 20 ds ring will tend to be an ellipse than a circule but you can reshape it to get it rounded again for measuring. Less ds leads to a kind of half ring a chain or just a knot in shape.

          I used this characteristic when graph the shape.

          Talking about TatHelper is progressing again. I had troubles with my pc for 2 weeks and had to stop developing, then recover the time, concentration and thread. Today felt into a hole fighting with the rotations, maybe the hardest thing for me. I´m thinking of working the others modules and leave it for the last minute.

          The application will be a tool for tatting designing, drawing shapes,
          calculating the threads needed in each of the shuttles (just 2 at the begining), but not will be a graphic editor although it already have graphic capacities on it to draw the shapes of the pattern creation. If a graphic editor is wanted, there are many increadible ones in the market mantained by teams of many people out there.

          Besitos

          Aurora.
        • arigamor
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2012
            Oooops
            I didnt answer your question, it´s because I dont use graph editors, they are a kind of mistery to me.
            But Mel has gaves you a guide, try it, maybe it works quite well for you

            Aurora
          • ninettacaruso@yahoo.it
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 13, 2012
              DMC special dentelles thread n. 80

              20 ds ring: normal worked
              inner diameter 2,5mm, outer 4,5mm
              inner thread 13mm, outer 117mm

              20 ds ring: tight worked
              inner diameter 2mm, outer 4mm
              inner thread 12mm, outer 117mm

              30 ds ring: normal worked
              inner diameter 4,5mm, outer 6,5mm
              inner thread 19mm, outer 176mm

              30 ds ring: tight worked
              inner diameter 4mm, outer 6mm
              inner thread 18mm, outer 171mm

              40 ds ring: normal or tight worked
              inner diameter 6mm, outer 8mm
              inner thread 25mm, outer 234mm

              50 ds ring: normal or tight worked
              inner diameter 8mm, outer 10mm
              inner thread 30mm, outer 306mm

              (or something like that!)
              Ninetta
            • arigamor
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 14, 2012
                Ohhh Ninetta
                What a incredible work with size 80. How could you undo a ring with that thin thread?

                It´s perfect. Just one thing when you can, if you tat another ring with 20 or 30 or whatever ds with thread 80, just measure the outer diameter, dont undo it, it´s for knowing how thick the ds is.

                Thanks a lot,

                Aurora