Welcome Everyone to our new group

  • Sue
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 8, 2011
      Whether you're already designing tatting patterns,drawing diagrams either by hand or computer,or just thinking about it this is a group for you!

      I will be an administrator here as well as Cynthia.

      And today I began hosting an online class discussing this same topic that is meeting in the Chatzy classroom on Tuesdays.

      The classes are at 3PM and 8:30PM ET (New York time) each Tuesday.
    • Cynthia Stevenson
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 8, 2011
        Sue and all members of the group:
        We will need to put both .docx and .pdf forms of the logs in the files.  I have notices that some people can't open the .docx at all and a couple who said it would not open from the link...I think they have to go in thru the group site not the direct link that comes with the notices.  I started with only the .docx and have added the .pdf as well.

        Happy tatting and  designing to all....Peace, Cyn

        Everyone talks about a better tomorrow, but wouldn't it be nice if we started by making today a little more pleasant? John N. Logan, artist

        Always remember you have within you the strength, the patience and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world. Harriet Tubman
      • Sheron Goldin
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 8, 2011
          Cynthia: .docx is the Office 2010 format and people without Office 2010 (such as Macs and those with older versions of Office) would have to download a free reader program Microsoft (I think) offers.

          PDF files should open on all computers with Adobe Reader on them. If someone has problems opening a PDF file I usually suggest that they first try going to the Adobe site and downloading the latest Adobe Reader. This cures 99% of the problems. If it doesn't help I suggest deleting the version on their computer and then downloading and installing the latest Adobe Reader.

          So if posting only one version of the log I would suggest either PDF format or just add a text file (although links won't be clickable in a text file).

          Re problems opening the file from the link sent: It does sometimes take a while for Yahoo to recognize the link, also if you change the file (delete and put up a new version) it won't work. A third problem can be that too many people are trying to access the file at the same time. For this reason I do suggest group members, who have gotten to the site when they clicked the link, click on the word 'File' on the left menu and go from there.

          Will share other tips as I find they are wanted/needed.

          Sheron

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 8, 2011
            Sheron--a big Thank You from a computer illiterate. I have proved my lack of knowledge again and appreciate getting such a gentle lovely letter explaining how the problem can be solved--My daughter wasn't as gentle. I also believe Microsoft has a free reader as well. (Beth, also told me of the option while speaking with her at 10:30 PM tonight--she called me a computer illiterate...then laughed in a loving manner and said it isn't a put down just a lack of knowledge--you CAN LEARN, MOM...She promised to help me find a link next time she is here so I can share it with others.)
            I had only put it in as a .doc at first and added the .pdf later.
            I will have to figure out how to do a text file....more learning....
            Peace and Hugs Sheron.

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 9, 2011
              If I remember correctly (since the logs Georgia puts up are text files), just copy the log from Chatzy, go to the group site, into the files area, where you want the file and once inside that file (the logs file folder) click Text File in the upper right of the screen, paste the copied log there and save it.

              Easier than making a PDF file. Don't have to put it on your computer first.

              Sheron

              Sheron--a big Thank You from a computer illiterate.  I have proved my lack of knowledge again and appreciate getting such a gentle lovely letter explaining how the problem can be solved--My daughter wasn't as gentle.  I also believe Microsoft has a free reader as well.   (Beth, also told me of the option while speaking with her at 10:30 PM tonight--she called me a computer illiterate...then laughed in a loving manner and said it isn't a put down just a lack of knowledge--you CAN LEARN, MOM...She promised to help me find a link next time she is here so I can share it with others.)
              I had only put it in as a .doc at first and added the .pdf later.
              I will have to figure out how to do a text file....more learning....
              Peace and Hugs Sheron.
              --- In TattingDesigners@yahoogroups.com, Sheron Goldin <sherongb@...> wrote:

              > Cynthia: .docx is the Office 2010 format and people without Office 2010 (such as Macs and those with older versions of Office) would have to download a free reader program Microsoft (I think) offers.
              >
              > PDF files should open on all computers with Adobe Reader on them. If someone has problems opening a PDF file I usually suggest that they first try going to the Adobe site and downloading the latest Adobe Reader. This cures 99% of the problems. If it doesn't help I suggest deleting the version on their computer and then downloading and installing the latest Adobe Reader.
              >
              > So if posting only one version of the log I would suggest either PDF format or just add a text file (although links won't be clickable in a text file).
              >
              > Re problems opening the file from the link sent: It does sometimes take a while for Yahoo to recognize the link, also if you change the file (delete and put up a new version) it won't work. A third problem can be that too many people are trying to access the file at the same time. For this reason I do suggest group members, who have gotten to the site when they clicked the link, click on the word 'File' on the left menu and go from there.
              >
              > Will share other tips as I find they are wanted/needed.
              >
              > Sheron

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  TattingDesigners-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  TattingDesigners-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Cynthia Stevenson
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 9, 2011
                I will give that a try, Sheron, thanks for the tip.  I don't know how it works to get all the pages...Peace, Cyn

                Cynthia Stevenson, CEO BrasThatFit (brasthatfit@...)
                *If you enjoy spending, be my client!
                *If you enjoy saving, be a hostess!
                *If you enjoy earning, join my team!

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 9, 2011
                  Feel free to ask. I have found many things out the hard way and share what I have learned to make it easier for others.

                  One benefit of uploading PDFs over Text files is that links remain clickable in PDF files but are not in Text files. Both work on all operating systems (Windows, Mac, Linux are the ones that come to mind but I don't know many who use Linux)

                  Sheron