Tar River Challenge

  • j_suggs_jr@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 17 , May 29, 2009
      As you know tomorrow is the big day for the Tar River Challenge at NC Wesleyan College.

      All activities will take place on the South Field. Entering through the Main Entrance, turn right. The South Field is located nearest Food Lion.

      Thanks,
      James Suggs
      252-717-2231
      j_suggs_jr@...
    • TarRiverDistrictECCBSA-owner@yahoogroups.
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 15, 2011
        Hello Everyone! I hope you all are excited about our Upcoming Cub Scout / Boy Scout Event the Tar River Challenge. Just wanted to make sure that you guys have as much information about the event as possible.

        Campers may arrive on Friday starting at 2:00. Registration will open at that time. Please be aware that you are on your own for meals on Friday night. However, there will be a campfire program that will be hosted by Pack 11. The time TBA. Remember it is dark out there so please be prepared to come with lights of your choice and a chair for the campfire. You will have the use of Portable Toilets in the Camping area. And remember that water is not very close.

        On Saturday, registration will open at 7:30. Remember that the cost of the event is $8.00 per scout (Cub or Boy Scout) and registered leaders as well as anyone else who will be participating in events. There is a Family Cap fee of $24.00 for those of us who have many children. Patches will be handed out at registration. Everyone must have with them or must complete a medical History Form Below you will find a list of events and a tentative time schedule. When you arrive we will give you a schedule that you will need to follow and each scout will receive a passport book that will have a place for his/her name and pack # on it. After the completion of an event the scout will be able to have their Passport stamped. This will be convenient for Den leaders as a tracking method.

        Events that will be open from 9AM-11AM and from 1-5PM:

        BB, Archery, Sling Shot, Soapbox Derby, Fishing, Crafts, Hiking with a Map and Compass, Obstacle Course, Bicycling, Kickball, Soccer, Knot Tying, Thank you Cards, and Campsite set-up.

        There will also be different organizations that will be there. However, we have staggered their times so that we don't ask them for too much. They are as follows:
        Edgecombe County Beekeeping (9-11)
        Wildlife Commission (Boater Safety and Game Warding) (9-11)
        Nash County Sheriff's Dept. (Golf Cart Drunk Driving Course) (9-11)
        Edgecombe County Rescue Squad (All Day)
        Tarboro Police Dept (4-5) (Drug Awareness, How to Say No!)
        Edgecombe County Sheriff's Office (?)
        Tarboro Fire Dept (Smokehouse, ?)
        Nash County CERT Team (1-?)
        Edgecombe County Health Dept. Nutrition - (Confirmed, awaiting our time)
        Forestry Service (They will be there after 1)

        As an added bonus we are offering 2 sessions of Readyman, Naturalist, and the Outdoorsman for the Webelos. The times for these will be on the schedule the day of the event.

        All scouts must attend the entire session to get a stamp on their passport book to receive credit towards their advancements.

        Boy Scouts will be responsible for showing leadership by being facilitators and helping to demonstrate skills. Don't forget you are $8.00 as well.

        Event Schedule
        8:45 Opening Ceremony (EVERYONE MUST ATTEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        9:00 Events Open
        11:00-12:00 Lunch for 1st Rotation / K9 Demonstration / Eagle Scout's Message
        12:00-1:00 Lunch for 2nd Rotation / K9 Demonstration / Eagle Scout's Message
        1:00 Events Reopen
        5:00 Events End
        5:30 Chicken Plates will be Available
        7:30 / 8:00 Campfire program Begins (BE PREPARED FOR A SONG OR SKIT)
        After Campfire Program we will show the movie "Daddy Daycamp"
        Lights out

        Sunday Morning
        8:00 Worship Service with Dale Belvin, Youth Pastor of First Free Will Baptist Church

        Lunch Tickets will be available at Registration for $3.50. This year lunch is being sold by the First Free Will Baptist Women's Auxillary Group. They will be feeding all of the volunteers from all of the above mentioned organizations for lunch. The meal includes a hotdog, chips, drink, and sweet.

        Saturday Night Chicken Plate Sale – make things even easier on yourself….. The Layman's Group from First Free Will Baptist Church will be selling BBQ Chicken Plates for $6.00. The plate includes ½ BBQ Chicken, Green beans, Potatoes, Roll, Slice of Cake, and a Drink.

        Qusetions??? Call Tina Parker at 252-544-0219 after 3:30 or Angie Davis at 252-883-0703.

        See You Soon!!!!!!
      • David
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 22, 2011
          Friday night program (not mandatory)

          Pack 11 will be hosting a campfire sing-along/story time from 8-9pm around a central campfire on Friday night.

          This is an extremely optional event, but we are doing it so that if you are still working on setting up the camp and need somewhere to place the younger cubs, or more energetic older cubs you have an option. If you have a song you would like to lead, come on out with your guitar and let me know, we will get you up there and let you rip. We are only planning on a 1 hour program for the fire, but we won't put the fire out till everyone leaves. The music may stop and it may be less entertaining but feel free to enjoy the company of the rest of the district for as long as you want, just know the program itself will be over.

          Last year several tents were ripped as kids ran through the dark woods with no lights and collided with the tents. We don't want a repeat of that this year. If the cubs are not at the campfire then please keep them in your campsite or under direct supervision. The woods are dark back behind the lake and it's very easy to not see tents or guidelines if you aren't careful.

          Thanks, looking forward to a fun weekend.

          Avery Moore
          Pack 11
          avery@...
        • j_suggs_jr@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 23, 2012
            Tar River Challenge is quickly approaching. As mentioned at Roundtable there is a change in the registration for this event. Scouts and registered leaders are still $8.00 each. There is also still a family cap of $24.00.

            However, the Town of Tarboro has raised their camping fees from $2 per person to $4 per person. With this being said anyone not covered under the family cap or the scout/leader registration fee that wishes to camp will need to pay $4 to cover the cost of camping.

            This year there will be new activities for the scouts to include: bike riding, skateboarding, table tennis, basketball, rope bridge, row boating, and marshmallow shooting to name a few. Scouts should come prepared to enjoy the "outing in Scouting".

            This year scouts will have a chance to learn bicycle and skateboarding safety. As well they can show off what they have learned by taking a bike ride through the park or by practicing their skateboarding skills. Therefore, we are encouraging scouts and their families to bring their bikes, skateboards, pads, and helmets. Remember it is a NC State Law that bike riders wear helmets.

            If your unit has not secured an event that you would like to run please contact me ASAP to sign-up. Remember this is a district event. Therefore, it takes the district to make it happen for our youth. It is also a great time for Boy Scouts to provide leadership. If you have scouts that would be interested in assisting with events please contact me. In advance I would like to thank you for your support.

            Tina Parker

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 14, 2012
              We are looking for a Troop with adult leadership that would be interested in running bicycling event at the Tar River Challenge. This event should also include a bicycle safety portion. After the safety portion we would like for the troop to assist with the bicycle trail around the lake. If your unit would like to volunteer, please contact Tina Parker.

              Thanks,

              Tina Parker
              Tri-County District Executive
              East Carolina Council, Boy Scouts of America
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 14, 2013
              Please see the attached flyer for the 2013 Tar River Challenge. Also, don't forget you can go to http://www.eccbsa.org/ and click Events to download the latest event flyers. Look forward to seeing everyone there. Thanks.

              James Suggs

              Message 7 of 17 , May 7, 2013

              Please the attachment about the Tar River Challenge.

              Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

              Message 8 of 17 , May 30, 2013
                If your Unit is planning to still run an event at Tar River Challenge next weekend please contact Tina Parker ASAP.  Also, if you know that you have youth from your Unit who are planning on attending please contact her with that information as well.  We are trying to get an idea of about how many people may be attending for the hotdog lunches.  Any youth that will be attending are encouraged to bring their bicycles, helmets, and fishing gear.  We will not have fishing rods available this year.

                Please contact Tina Parker at 252-544-0219 or by e-mail at tparker@...<mailto:tparker@...>.

                Tina Parker

                East Carolina Council, Boy Scouts of America

                Northern Area, District Executive

                Serving Halifax, Northampton, Hertford, Bertie, and Edgecombe Counties
                Message 9 of 17 , Jun 9, 2013
                  The District Executives of the Tar River District would like to thank all of the Scouts, Scouters, and families that attended today's Tar River Challenge.  Despite the showers, we had good attendance and made the best of the day.  Scouts enjoyed archery, fishing, hiking, bike riding, a catapult craft, sling shot, badminton, water games, a visit from the Tarboro Police Dept., K-9 Unit, and spending time with their families in the rain.  What a day for some good old fashioned family fun.  We would also like to thank everyone that helped to run events today to make this day possible for our youth.

                  Tina Parker & Matt Connors

                  Tina Parker

                  Message 10 of 17 , Mar 12, 2016
                  This year the Tar River Challenge will be held on the beautiful campus of Nash Community College. This will be a great opportunity for Cub Scouts to get out and enjoy the outdoors. Please see the attached flyer for more details.

                  The flyer should be posted on the Council website www.eccbsa.org  within the week.. Once it has been posted, those packs or individuals that wish to register through tentaroo my do so at that time. For those that wish to go a head register now just need to fill out the form in the flyer and mail payment along with the form to Council.

                  We look forward to seeing you there.

                  YIS,

                  James Suggs
                  Message 11 of 17 , Apr 20, 2016
                  Don't forget that the Tar River Challenge is this weekend at Nash Community College. See attached flyer or visit http://www.eccbsa.org/ under the Events tab for flyer.

                  Also the Tar River Pinewood Derby will be running Saturday morning in the Con Ed Building at Nash Community College as well. Flyer and registration details can be found on Council website as well.