Ways to De-Stress

  • episani2003
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2006
      Hi all,

      Fall is fast paced and can be stressful - as a scouter - we need to
      be aware our new families handle stress differently.

      Here are some good ways to help new leaders / new parents handle,
      prevent, and/or reduce stress.

      Physical Strategies:
      *Get enough exercise
      *Eat a variety of nutritional foods on a regular schedule
      *Avoid food that impairs body functions (ie 3 or more cups of coffee
      a day)

      Self Talk and Emotional Strategies:
      *Express your feelings with someone who cares and will listen (ie
      Unit Commissioners)
      *Engage in 'Self Talk' where you consciously talk to yourself about
      your good and bad behaviors
      *Learn to 'reframe' events so you can focus on the good instead of
      the bad components of a situation (ie My happy Scouts left my meeting
      with a smile even though we didn't fully complete the project this
      week.)

      Lifestyle Strategies:
      *Practice taking responsibility for your choices - good and bad.
      (ie We picked a weekend to go camping but it rained = bad; but all
      the boys had fun using the slip and slide in the rain = good)
      *Clarify your values and decide what is important to you personally.
      Follow throught in the priorities you set and decisions you make.
      *Spend your time doing things that are important to you. (ie "How do
      you spell 'love' to a child - T..I..M..E" Cubmaster Charles Etheridge)

      Interpersonal Stratgies
      Find a small group of people who will provide support, listen, give
      you honest feedback and with whom you can be vulnerable
      Work on developing assertiveness skills that will help you get your
      needs met with less conflict

      Happy Scouting!