Re: Tar River Challenge (the TBA Friday night program)

  • David
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 22, 2011
      Friday night program (not mandatory)

      Pack 11 will be hosting a campfire sing-along/story time from 8-9pm around a central campfire on Friday night.

      This is an extremely optional event, but we are doing it so that if you are still working on setting up the camp and need somewhere to place the younger cubs, or more energetic older cubs you have an option. If you have a song you would like to lead, come on out with your guitar and let me know, we will get you up there and let you rip. We are only planning on a 1 hour program for the fire, but we won't put the fire out till everyone leaves. The music may stop and it may be less entertaining but feel free to enjoy the company of the rest of the district for as long as you want, just know the program itself will be over.

      Last year several tents were ripped as kids ran through the dark woods with no lights and collided with the tents. We don't want a repeat of that this year. If the cubs are not at the campfire then please keep them in your campsite or under direct supervision. The woods are dark back behind the lake and it's very easy to not see tents or guidelines if you aren't careful.

      Thanks, looking forward to a fun weekend.

      Avery Moore
      Pack 11
      avery@...
    • j_suggs_jr@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 23, 2012
        Tar River Challenge is quickly approaching. As mentioned at Roundtable there is a change in the registration for this event. Scouts and registered leaders are still $8.00 each. There is also still a family cap of $24.00.

        However, the Town of Tarboro has raised their camping fees from $2 per person to $4 per person. With this being said anyone not covered under the family cap or the scout/leader registration fee that wishes to camp will need to pay $4 to cover the cost of camping.

        This year there will be new activities for the scouts to include: bike riding, skateboarding, table tennis, basketball, rope bridge, row boating, and marshmallow shooting to name a few. Scouts should come prepared to enjoy the "outing in Scouting".

        This year scouts will have a chance to learn bicycle and skateboarding safety. As well they can show off what they have learned by taking a bike ride through the park or by practicing their skateboarding skills. Therefore, we are encouraging scouts and their families to bring their bikes, skateboards, pads, and helmets. Remember it is a NC State Law that bike riders wear helmets.

        If your unit has not secured an event that you would like to run please contact me ASAP to sign-up. Remember this is a district event. Therefore, it takes the district to make it happen for our youth. It is also a great time for Boy Scouts to provide leadership. If you have scouts that would be interested in assisting with events please contact me. In advance I would like to thank you for your support.

        Tina Parker

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 14, 2012
          We are looking for a Troop with adult leadership that would be interested in running bicycling event at the Tar River Challenge. This event should also include a bicycle safety portion. After the safety portion we would like for the troop to assist with the bicycle trail around the lake. If your unit would like to volunteer, please contact Tina Parker.

          Thanks,

          Tina Parker
          Tri-County District Executive
          East Carolina Council, Boy Scouts of America
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 14, 2013
          Please see the attached flyer for the 2013 Tar River Challenge. Also, don't forget you can go to http://www.eccbsa.org/ and click Events to download the latest event flyers. Look forward to seeing everyone there. Thanks.

          James Suggs

          Message 5 of 17 , May 7, 2013

          Please the attachment about the Tar River Challenge.

          Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

          Message 6 of 17 , May 30, 2013
            If your Unit is planning to still run an event at Tar River Challenge next weekend please contact Tina Parker ASAP.  Also, if you know that you have youth from your Unit who are planning on attending please contact her with that information as well.  We are trying to get an idea of about how many people may be attending for the hotdog lunches.  Any youth that will be attending are encouraged to bring their bicycles, helmets, and fishing gear.  We will not have fishing rods available this year.

            Please contact Tina Parker at 252-544-0219 or by e-mail at tparker@...<mailto:tparker@...>.

            Tina Parker

            East Carolina Council, Boy Scouts of America

            Northern Area, District Executive

            Serving Halifax, Northampton, Hertford, Bertie, and Edgecombe Counties
            Message 7 of 17 , Jun 9, 2013
              The District Executives of the Tar River District would like to thank all of the Scouts, Scouters, and families that attended today's Tar River Challenge.  Despite the showers, we had good attendance and made the best of the day.  Scouts enjoyed archery, fishing, hiking, bike riding, a catapult craft, sling shot, badminton, water games, a visit from the Tarboro Police Dept., K-9 Unit, and spending time with their families in the rain.  What a day for some good old fashioned family fun.  We would also like to thank everyone that helped to run events today to make this day possible for our youth.

              Tina Parker & Matt Connors

              Tina Parker

              Message 8 of 17 , Mar 12, 2016
              This year the Tar River Challenge will be held on the beautiful campus of Nash Community College. This will be a great opportunity for Cub Scouts to get out and enjoy the outdoors. Please see the attached flyer for more details.

              The flyer should be posted on the Council website www.eccbsa.org  within the week.. Once it has been posted, those packs or individuals that wish to register through tentaroo my do so at that time. For those that wish to go a head register now just need to fill out the form in the flyer and mail payment along with the form to Council.

              We look forward to seeing you there.

              YIS,

              James Suggs
              Message 9 of 17 , Apr 20, 2016
              Don't forget that the Tar River Challenge is this weekend at Nash Community College. See attached flyer or visit http://www.eccbsa.org/ under the Events tab for flyer.

              Also the Tar River Pinewood Derby will be running Saturday morning in the Con Ed Building at Nash Community College as well. Flyer and registration details can be found on Council website as well.