1471Fw: Tar River Challenge Reminder

    Mar 28, 2014

    Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

    From: Andrea Sessoms <amomof3scouts@...>;
    To: James Suggs <j_suggs_jr@...>; Best, Terry - NRCS, Halifax, NC <terry.best@...>; Matthew Connors <mconnors@...>;
    Subject: Tar River Challenge Reminder
    Sent: Fri, Mar 28, 2014 8:23:52 PM

    Please post this to the yahoo group.....

    Tar River Challenge is quickly approaching.  The weather has the potential to work in our favor this year. Please come out and give our new location a try.  I have attached the flyer again and please forward this to your parents in your packs. Below is a list of belt loops that we will be providing.

                  weather, good manners, language & culture, physical fitness, flag football,
                  ultimate, bb, archery, hiking, map & compass

    New this is year is the Webelos ONLY area where the Webelos have the opportunity to work on 3 activity badges (forrester, handyman, & artist) as well as test their readyman skills in relay and scenario events.

    We will also have a craft for the kids and the rope bridge.  Troop 49 will be selling concessions such as drinks, candy bars, etc through out the day.  All proceeds will go towards summer camp. There will be lunch available for purchase when you register.   Option 1: Hot dog, chips & drink for $3.00. Option 2: Barbecue sandwich, chips & drink for $5.00.

    For those camping Friday night, registration will be open beginning at 5pm.  It will remain open until 8-9pm that evening.  It will open again from 7-10am on Saturday.  If you are coming after 10am, you will need to park in the "day only" parking and catch the tram.  You can register at the stage area.  We will give you information about what to do about camping.  For safety reasons, we are just trying to minimize the traffic near the events/camping areas during the event times from 9-4pm.

    A few logistical items:
    • There will be separate parking for the campers and those only coming for the day.
    • Camp fires are permitted, but we must remember leave no trace principles and the fire can be no bigger than 3 feet in diameter (per request of the land owner).
    • Please take every opportunity to pick up trash where you see it.
    • If you are camping, you will need to provide your own water.
    • We will have an interfaith worship service Sunday morning at 8am.  All units should respect this time: halting campsite tear down & no cars will be allowed in or out during this time.
    • There will be a tram of sorts that will help people get around as well as transport them to the "day only" parking area. Most of the events are centrally located to make it easier to get around.
    • There is no dumpster so you will be responsible for disposing of your personal or packs trash.
    • Port-a-potties will be on site.
    We will provide each scout a pass book at the time of registration and this is how they will keep up with their belt loops they earn.  This will have the times each activity is offered and the overall schedule.  Opening ceremony will begin at 8:45am and everyone must attend.  Events will begin promptly at 9am.  We will stop all events from 12-1pm.  Lunch will be served beginning at 11 until 1pm.  We will have pack tug of war competitions after dinner and a scavenger hunt.  It should be full of fun and excitement.  You don't want to miss it.

    I have tried to cover everything, but if there is something I left out or if you have general questions, feel free to contact me via email or phone at 252-813-6839.  Also, if you have a head count of people or families camping, let me know.  This information would help us estimate camping space & lunch for Saturday.

    Thank you for supporting this great event and the Tar River District,

    Andrea Sessoms
    Cubmaster Pack 49