solitude 365 Tao

  • lisbeth
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2004
      solitude

      huge outrcrop rocks and mountain, stormy sky frames small village

      There are no ancients before me,
      No followers behind:
      Only the vastness of heaven and earth
      On this mountain terrace.
      Though heaven may know the ultimate,
      Joy or sorrow is our own will.

      We stand alone in this life. No one lives our life for us. Neither
      drug nor sorcery can remove us, even for a moment, from our own
      life. We can deny it, but it is useless: We are here, alone, to
      engage every precious moment according to our wills.

      The precedents of the ancients may be helpful, but in the end they
      are only references. The thought of those who will follow after us
      is likewise merely a consideration. What matters is being, pure
      being. Accept who you are. Be who you are.

      If there are gods in the heavens, maybe they know the future. As a
      human being, I can only say that the future is yet to be made. Let
      us go forth and make it, but let us make it as beautifully as we
      can. The degree of elegance is determined by our will and the
      perfection of our own personalities. Therefore, do not sigh over
      misfortune or adversity. Whether you are happy or sad is entirely up
      to you.

      solitude
      365 Tao
      daily meditations
      Deng Ming-Dao (author)
      ISBN 0-06-250223-9

      duckdaotsu.org <http://www.duckdaotsu.org/index.html>
      September tao hub <http://www.duckdaotsu.org/tao9.html>
      support <http://tinyurl.com/qjwm>
      sustain <http://tinyurl.com/32jrw>

      email to friend
      <mailto:?Subject=This%20is%20wonderful%20--%20hope%20you%20enjoy%21&Body=Thought%20you%20might%20find%20this%20interesting%20-%20http://www.duckdaotsu.org/9/solitude.html>

      the quality and detail of this art has been severely diminished to
      keep the size of the mailing down
      see the beauty of the artwork at the archived site
      http://www.duckdaotsu.org/10/solitude.html

      GAO DE XING
      GAO DE XING

      HIDDEN VILLAGE

      this artist seldom gives titles for his work
      and I miss working on my calligraphy,
      so I am creating titles to suit the day
      this is "HIDDEN VILLAGE"
      (with apologies to Gao De Xing!)

      http://www.chinafinearts.com/ <http://www.chinafinearts.com>

      receive a full HTML copy of the daily meditation sent directly to your
      inbox, please send a note with the words "subscribe tao" in the subject
      line to mailto:duckdaotsu@... or
      mailto:editor@.... Make sure to write subscribe or I might
      consider it spam and toss it!
      also, do let me know if you wish to unsubscribe
      <mailto:duckdaotsu@...> from the daily meditations or need to
      take a vacation.