writing

  • oneof10k2
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2010
      From 11/12 to 11/28 I was on vacation from work. The last time I took many days off was when I took 10 days to stay with my brother and his (now-ex-)wife in Naples, FL probably 7 years ago. Back then I laid by their poor and made a sizable dent in the Rabbit Run series. Also it allowed my mind to decompress to a place where I was able to decide on a course that included going back to school.

      Been there, done that.

      This time was similar in that a decision to make a change came out of it. I want to take writing more seriously. I read one of Chuck Palahniuk's (sp?)books, which, despite the often grim subject matter (even if he clearly intends it to be black comedy) over the vacation. He inspires me as Tom Robbins inspired me in the past. To actually sit down in one place long enough to finish a book -- any book -- was quite an achievement.

      Now that I'm back to work for a week, that decision seems distant. Facebook has crept into my world and has me fixated like the old days of usenet addiction. At least with usenet there was at least an illusion of learning or enrichment. Facebook has no redeeming quality, except perhaps it encourages regular communication of minutea (minoosha) (sp?) with people you actually, rather than virtually, know. In a way it's good for me, as my anti-social tendencies increase by the day. On the whole, however, it seems to have paralyzed my typing fingers for anything other than typing work reports and posting insipid status updates in facebook.

      A plan of action must be developed then carried out. Wish me luck!

      rgds,
      lisa