Re: [TaoTalk] taotalk's 10th anniversary is approaching

  • P Burrows
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 28, 2008
      Wow. Ten years. Crazy. I was never overly active on the newsgroup, but was on TAO-L for many years before even that.  I wonder how long I was on TAO-L -- that was one of the first groups I ever joined after getting an email account.

      --
      Patrick Burrows
      http://www.CleverHumans.com

      On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 11:41 AM, lisa <ms_jade_li@...> wrote:

      TaoTalk has not always been at yahoo groups. It started back on
      1/3/99 at a place called dejanews:

      kamerm, bless his heart, performed the arduous task of "moving the
      capital" over to where we are today. thank you my friend.

      1999/01/03 A description of taotalk -- oneof10k <oneof10k@...>
      Message List
      Reply | Forward | Delete Message #1 of 5987 < Prev | Next >
      The Discussion Forum: dejanews.comm.taotalk has been created.
      The description that was given for this forum is:

      Taotalk is a forum for the discussion
      of both the academic and pragmatic
      aspects of tao and Taoism, with
      participants expressing themselves on
      Taoist writings and pragmatics from
      their unique perspectives. It serves
      as a community for Taoists, and those
      interested in Taoism, to gather and
      talk tao.

      Here is some important information about this Forum:

      Forum Name: dejanews.comm.taotalk
      Forum Web address:

      http://www.dejanews.com/~taotalk/group/dejanews.comm.taotalk

      We encourage you to leave your mark. Post a message to this forum
      to really get things started.

      ===============================
      Amazing it has been 10 years, but at the same time it seems like it
      has been forever. Like there was no time before it.

      In a couple of months, there will hopefully be more time from this
      corner to contribute to the discussions.

      It would be good to converse with some of the oldtimers again in the
      bamboo grove. It would be good to get to know some of the newer folks.

      rgds,
      lisa

    • P Burrows
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 28, 2008
        I believe TAO-L is still running (I was going to say "active" but that would be rather inaccurate)
        --
        Patrick Burrows
        http://www.CleverHumans.com

        On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 1:53 AM, gregory_candy <gcandy@...> wrote:

        --- In TaoTalk@yahoogroups.com, "--Michael" <epsilon717@...> wrote:

        > --- In TaoTalk@yahoogroups.com, "lisa" <ms_jade_li@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Well I'm glad you're here, Michael.
        >
        > Nice to be here. This is the only list I've posted on in months, and I
        > belong to more than a few. After a few decades of online interaction,
        > there's not much more to say or to see.

        Like Michael, I don't post as actively as I used to in the early days of this list or even
        earlier. Remember "TAO-L" ? The old list-server days ;-) And like Lisa I don't crack the
        dao-books as much as I used to. But I have fond memories of how this site was, and still
        sometimes is, a sounding board for sharing with others our limited understanding of the
        dao and getting good feedback, gentle correction, sometimes support, or the rare flame.
        (increasingly rare due to the diligence of our fine moderator).

        > > Raising my glass in a toast to the assembled motley crew in this
        > > little bamboo grove nestled amongst the rest of the 10,000 things.
        > >
        > > Cheers! Here's to another 10!
        > >
        > > rgds,
        > > lisa
        >
        > I second the toast.

        Hear! Hear! . . . and Gam Bei ! !

        Greg

      • --Michael
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 2, 2009
          Yep. Just joined.

          Runs out of http://listserv.albany.edu

          Found it through http://www.lsoft.com/

          TAO-L@...

          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 5, 2009
            --- In TaoTalk@yahoogroups.com, "--Michael" <epsilon717@...> wrote:

            > --- In TaoTalk@yahoogroups.com, "lisa" <ms_jade_li@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Not sure whether it was george channeling zz or george himself who
            > > said it, but when the fish have been caught you can toss the net away.
            > >

            > Well... maybe. See below.
            >
            > > When the ideas have been assimilated, the books can be thrown into
            > the fire.
            > >

            > Aack! Never, never, never - I hate that metaphor. Books are sacred,
            > and should be treated respectfully, donated when no longer wanted or
            > needed.

            Or gathering dust on the shelf, quietly waiting... my books wait for
            me. I don't remember which sci fi novel I read it in -- maybe one of
            first trio of Asimov's Foundation series -- but in it books were no
            more than rare oddities that one would hope to run along if one were
            fortunate. Books were like what amazon is selling now and calling it
            Kindle. I rue that day so prophesied by a seer. I shall hold my
            tomes close and dear until my final earthly resting.

            > As much as I appreciate Zen, sometimes their statements are just too
            > shocking. Burning sutras is madness.

            Are those Zen statements then?

            > On the other hand, I do wonder at some of the so-called Zen masters,
            > or any form of spiritual teacher. Perhaps at least some of them <ahem>
            > were not a little, shall we say, "teched in the head?" Certainly
            > mystical spirituality is a safe harbor for eccentrics, among others.

            As Baba Wawa said, "Too twoo too twoo." I wouldn't want to pick apart
            the intertwined threads madness and mysticism. Madman may be defined
            as one who dances to a crazy tune that few if any other can hear. A
            mystic may be defined as one who speaks to a vision that few if any
            other can see. How to distinguish?

            > > I don't crack the dao books as much as I used to but the ideas have
            > blossomed and incorporated themselves into my being. That in no way
            > means I live the life of course. It just means I can transmit/spew
            > forth the ideas....
            > >

            > One can't live with the books constantly by one's side. One gets
            > beyond the training wheels and water wings eventually. Or should.
            > Gotta leave the nest, flap the wings, and run into a tree now and
            > then. Or take a fall.
            >
            > On the other hand, re-visiting the books now and then can provide
            > fresh gleanings. Good texts are good on many levels. Crap is basically
            > one-dimensional.

            The end point whose stench fades, leaving but bits to grow flowers
            another day. Even crap has its uses.

            > > Well I'm glad you're here, Michael.
            >
            > Nice to be here. This is the only list I've posted on in months, and I
            > belong to more than a few. After a few decades of online interaction,
            > there's not much more to say or to see.

            I hear you on that. If you wait awhile though, even the worn paths
            spring daisies from time to time.

            > > Raising my glass in a toast to the assembled motley crew in this
            > > little bamboo grove nestled amongst the rest of the 10,000 things.
            > >
            > > Cheers! Here's to another 10!
            > >
            > > rgds,
            > > lisa
            >
            > I second the toast.

            good wine.

            rgds,
            lisa
          • George Henry
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 13, 2009
              On Wed, 24 Dec 2008, lisa wrote:

              > TaoTalk has not always been at yahoo groups. It started back on
              > 1/3/99 at a place called dejanews:

              > Amazing it has been 10 years, but at the same time it seems like it
              > has been forever. Like there was no time before it.
              >
              > In a couple of months, there will hopefully be more time from this
              > corner to contribute to the discussions.
              >
              > It would be good to converse with some of the oldtimers again in the
              > bamboo grove. It would be good to get to know some of the newer folks.

              I looked back and one of the first subjects was "Waley's World
              and the Tao" and the first thing that popped into my mind was the
              name of the amusement park that the Griswold family visitsp in
              the movie "National Lampoons Vacation". Similar to "Star Wars and the
              Tao in the desert. Then you explained it was Arthur Waley the translator..
              who wrote the first translation that I read while in my Zen withdrawal.

              I looked around for some of the names around at the time and I
              came up with the following..

              Audrey <audreyf@...>,
              Bil <BLuther@...>,
              George <gchenry@...>,
              Lisa <JadelNTao@...>,
              Patrick <demosthe@...>,
              Rick <MATZ_Frank/usa_carrollton_ca@...>,
              Zhou <zhoubu@...>

              'Chad Hansen' <hrxahac@...>,
              'Doctor Nine' <doctor9@...>,
              'Miller Jew' <Zhou@...>,
              'Oliver Sterczyk' <sterczyk@...>,
              'Sally-Anne Zenith' <Windows/STEVEN/Sally@...>,
              'Steve Carter' <shc103@...>,
              'Steven Ericsson Zenith' <steven@...>

              af@...,
              antrobin@...,
              APOeticOne@...,
              audreyf@...,
              Bil.Luther@...,
              Cheng-e@...,
              CleoParker@...,
              gchenry@...,
              gmetesky@...,
              gojeda@...,
              MATZ_Frank/usa_carrollton_ca@...,
              PettyMarc2@...,
              SpearAsc@...,
              Yorokobu@...

              Audrey Farber <audreyf@...>,
              Bil Luther <imaginetix@...>,
              chuang@...,
              Demosthenes <demosthe@...>,
              "For every thing, there is a season"
              <JK7023%ALBNYVMS.bitnet@...>,
              JadelNTao@...,
              "Luther, Bil MV" <BLuther@...>,
              MATZ_Frank/usa_carrollton_ca@...,
              Miller Jew <zhoubu@...>,
              Skip Fryar <jdf94a@...>,

              There's more but I couldn't find them.. so it goes.
            • George Henry
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 13, 2009
                On Sat, 27 Dec 2008, --Michael wrote:

                > --- In TaoTalk@yahoogroups.com, "lisa" <ms_jade_li@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> Not sure whether it was george channeling zz or george himself who
                >> said it, but when the fish have been caught you can toss the net away.
                >>

                > Well... maybe. See below.
                >
                >> When the ideas have been assimilated, the books can be thrown into
                > the fire.
                >>

                > Aack! Never, never, never - I hate that metaphor. Books are sacred,
                > and should be treated respectfully, donated when no longer wanted or
                > needed.

                Hmm.. here is no sacred in Zen.. "if you meet the Buddha on the
                road kill him". It refers to the "Transmission of the Mind" when
                this takes place and the student has attained Satori/Transcendance
                the words of others are meaningless and in fact he can begin
                writing his own "useless words" for his students. It's like a
                koan once realized it is useless. The Zhuangists hae similar
                ideas.. "the words of the dead have no meaning" and "the Way can
                be found in the excrement on the ground. Many make the
                assumption tha Zen is Buddhism with a little Zhuangzi but it's
                the other way around.. Zen is Zhuangism with a little Buddhism thrown in.

                > On the other hand, I do wonder at some of the so-called Zen masters,
                > or any form of spiritual teacher. Perhaps at least some of them <ahem>
                > were not a little, shall we say, "teched in the head?" Certainly
                > mystical spirituality is a safe harbor for eccentrics, among others.

                When I was into Zen you could count the Zen Masters in the US on
                one hand.. almost one finger. The Japanese and Chinese were of
                the belief that westerners were incapable of any form of
                attainment.

                >> little bamboo grove nestled amongst the rest of the 10,000 things.

                Which reminds me one of the lists that I sent was a list of
                members of "our" personal grove.

                --
                geo
              • George Henry
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 13, 2009
                  On Sun, 28 Dec 2008, P Burrows wrote:

                  > Wow. Ten years. Crazy. I was never overly active on the newsgroup, but was
                  > on TAO-L for many years before even that. I wonder how long I was on TAO-L
                  > -- that was one of the first groups I ever joined after getting an email
                  > account.

                  That list is still open.. every once in a while I'll get an email
                  from a subscriber "Tao of the day" thing. Jaime may be gone but
                  the list is still there.

                  --
                  geo
                • George Henry
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 13, 2009
                    On Sun, 28 Dec 2008, P Burrows wrote:

                    > I believe TAO-L is still running (I was going to say "active" but that would
                    > be rather inaccurate)
                    > --
                    > Patrick Burrows
                    > http://www.CleverHumans.com

                    Oops you beat me to it and as far as I know there is only one
                    actie member.

                    --
                    geo
                  • --Michael
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 13, 2009
                      > Hmm.. here is no sacred in Zen..

                      Not even zazen?

                      > "if you meet the Buddha on the road kill him". It refers to the
                      "Transmission of the Mind" when this takes place and the student has
                      attained Satori/Transcendance the words of others are meaningless and
                      in fact he can begin writing his own "useless words" for his
                      students. It's like a koan once realized it is useless. The
                      Zhuangists hae similar> ideas.. "the words of the dead have no
                      meaning" and "the Way can be found in the excrement on the ground.
                      Many make the assumption tha Zen is Buddhism with a little Zhuangzi
                      but it's the other way around.. Zen is Zhuangism with a little
                      Buddhism thrown in.

                      I've seen that quoted so very often. What meaning does it really have?
                      In fact, so many Zen sound bites look good, almost cute, but they've
                      become nothing but cliches through overuse and misunderstanding.

                      All this satori / transmission / transcendence again sounds good but
                      is highly questionable. There's far too much pseudo-mysticism in Zen.

                      Of course, blowing clouds of smoke does have some uses, for the blower
                      at least.

                      > When I was into Zen you could count the Zen Masters in the US on
                      > one hand.. almost one finger.

                      I daresay you could count the so-called masters in the whole world on
                      the finger of one hand.

                      >The Japanese and Chinese were of the belief that westerners were
                      >incapable of any form of attainment.

                      Yes, not surprising considering they were blowing the smoke clouds,
                      and have been for a long time.

                      That's not to say there's nothing of value in Ch'an or Zen, but one
                      has to look very carefully and critically, and certainly not accept
                      what any so-called master (or book) says.

                      That's true in general, of course.

                      Anyway, this isn't a debate about Zen; everyone has their own
                      opinions, usually strongly-held.

                      But there's no substitute for critical thinking, study, and research.
                      If something sounds too good to be true, or especially profound and
                      wonderful, it's probably false, or worse.

                      >--
                      >geo

                      --Michael
                    • P Burrows
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 16, 2009
                        Wow. emi.net... that was the first email address I ever had. I wonder if that ISP is still around. They were the "Emi.Net Domain" ...I chose them cause of the funny name.

                        --
                        Patrick Burrows
                        http://www.CleverHumans.com

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 18, 2009
                          --- In TaoTalk@yahoogroups.com, George Henry <gchenry@...> wrote:

                          George, it's so good to see you back. It feels like a family reunion :)

                          > On Sat, 27 Dec 2008, --Michael wrote:
                          >
                          > > --- In TaoTalk@yahoogroups.com, "lisa" <ms_jade_li@> wrote:
                          > >>
                          > >> Not sure whether it was george channeling zz or george himself who
                          > >> said it, but when the fish have been caught you can toss the net
                          away.

                          > > Well... maybe. See below.
                          > >
                          > >> When the ideas have been assimilated, the books can be thrown into
                          > > the fire.
                          > >>

                          > > Aack! Never, never, never - I hate that metaphor. Books are sacred,
                          > > and should be treated respectfully, donated when no longer wanted or
                          > > needed.
                          >
                          > Hmm.. here is no sacred in Zen.. "if you meet the Buddha on the
                          > road kill him". It refers to the "Transmission of the Mind" when
                          > this takes place and the student has attained Satori/Transcendance
                          > the words of others are meaningless and in fact he can begin
                          > writing his own "useless words" for his students. >>

                          Yours are watery words quenching a parched mind.

                          What it sounds like you are saying is it isn't so much that the words
                          written are intended to illuminate the path for others (even if that
                          may be the by-product/outcome). It is more that the person writing
                          them needs to go through a process of putting them out there. What is
                          done with them after that is no matter necessarily. When you throw
                          kitchen scraps out on the compost heap, do you have a particular worm
                          in mind to churn them into fertile soil?

                          Conversely speaking, when you run across a guru who proclaims
                          competence in targeting their wisdom to students, run the other way?

                          It's like a
                          > koan once realized it is useless. The Zhuangists hae similar
                          > ideas.. "the words of the dead have no meaning" and "the Way can
                          > be found in the excrement on the ground. Many make the
                          > assumption tha Zen is Buddhism with a little Zhuangzi but it's
                          > the other way around.. Zen is Zhuangism with a little Buddhism
                          thrown in.

                          > > On the other hand, I do wonder at some of the so-called Zen masters,
                          > > or any form of spiritual teacher. Perhaps at least some of them <ahem>
                          > > were not a little, shall we say, "teched in the head?" Certainly
                          > > mystical spirituality is a safe harbor for eccentrics, among others.
                          >
                          > When I was into Zen you could count the Zen Masters in the US on
                          > one hand.. almost one finger. The Japanese and Chinese were of
                          > the belief that westerners were incapable of any form of
                          > attainment.
                          >
                          > >> little bamboo grove nestled amongst the rest of the 10,000 things.
                          >
                          > Which reminds me one of the lists that I sent was a list of
                          > members of "our" personal grove.

                          What list was that and who was the sender?

                          rgds,
                          --li

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 18, 2009
                            --- In TaoTalk@yahoogroups.com, "--Michael" <epsilon717@...> wrote:

                            [...]

                            > That's not to say there's nothing of value in Ch'an or Zen, but one
                            > has to look very carefully and critically, and certainly not accept
                            > what any so-called master (or book) says.
                            >
                            > That's true in general, of course.
                            >
                            > Anyway, this isn't a debate about Zen; everyone has their own
                            > opinions, usually strongly-held.
                            >
                            > But there's no substitute for critical thinking, study, and research.
                            > If something sounds too good to be true, or especially profound and
                            > wonderful, it's probably false, or worse.
                            >

                            > >--
                            > >geo
                            >

                            > --Michael

                            Sounds like work. Is there any way around the effort involved?
                            (can you tell, i'm lazy)

                            rgds,
                            lisa
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 18, 2009
                              --- In TaoTalk@yahoogroups.com, George Henry <gchenry@...> wrote:

                              > On Wed, 24 Dec 2008, lisa wrote:
                              >
                              > > TaoTalk has not always been at yahoo groups. It started back on
                              > > 1/3/99 at a place called dejanews:
                              >
                              > > Amazing it has been 10 years, but at the same time it seems like it
                              > > has been forever. Like there was no time before it.
                              > >
                              > > In a couple of months, there will hopefully be more time from this
                              > > corner to contribute to the discussions.
                              > >
                              > > It would be good to converse with some of the oldtimers again in the
                              > > bamboo grove. It would be good to get to know some of the newer
                              folks.

                              > I looked back and one of the first subjects was "Waley's World
                              > and the Tao" and the first thing that popped into my mind was the
                              > name of the amusement park that the Griswold family visitsp in
                              > the movie "National Lampoons Vacation". Similar to "Star Wars and the
                              > Tao in the desert. Then you explained it was Arthur Waley the
                              translator..
                              > who wrote the first translation that I read while in my Zen withdrawal.

                              I did?? It was an unprecedented convergence of people, places, and
                              times at TAO-L. You were withdrawing from Zen then? I was totally
                              fresh to the internet and to taoism. It was a fortuitous day that
                              when I typed "tao" into a search engine and TAO-L popped up.

                              > I looked around for some of the names around at the time and I
                              > came up with the following..
                              >
                              > Audrey <audreyf@...>,
                              > Bil <BLuther@...>,
                              > George <gchenry@...>,
                              > Lisa <JadelNTao@...>,
                              > Patrick <demosthe@...>,
                              > Rick <MATZ_Frank/usa_carrollton_ca@...>,
                              > Zhou <zhoubu@...>
                              >
                              > 'Chad Hansen' <hrxahac@...>,
                              > 'Doctor Nine' <doctor9@...>,
                              > 'Miller Jew' <Zhou@...>,
                              > 'Oliver Sterczyk' <sterczyk@...>,
                              > 'Sally-Anne Zenith' <Windows/STEVEN/Sally@...>,
                              > 'Steve Carter' <shc103@...>,
                              > 'Steven Ericsson Zenith' <steven@...>
                              >
                              > af@...,
                              > antrobin@...,
                              > APOeticOne@...,
                              > audreyf@...,
                              > Bil.Luther@...,
                              > Cheng-e@...,
                              > CleoParker@...,
                              > gchenry@...,
                              > gmetesky@...,
                              > gojeda@...,
                              > MATZ_Frank/usa_carrollton_ca@...,
                              > PettyMarc2@...,
                              > SpearAsc@...,
                              > Yorokobu@...
                              >
                              > Audrey Farber <audreyf@...>,
                              > Bil Luther <imaginetix@...>,
                              > chuang@...,
                              > Demosthenes <demosthe@...>,
                              > "For every thing, there is a season"
                              > <JK7023%ALBNYVMS.bitnet@...>,
                              > JadelNTao@...,
                              > "Luther, Bil MV" <BLuther@...>,
                              > MATZ_Frank/usa_carrollton_ca@...,
                              > Miller Jew <zhoubu@...>,
                              > Skip Fryar <jdf94a@...>,
                              >
                              > There's more but I couldn't find them.. so it goes.

                              I look at the list of names and a million feelings and memories bubble
                              to the surface, along with the tears. Some of the folks are no longer
                              with us. Some have wandered away to other places. I wonder how they
                              are doing. Some are still around.

                              Remember PATHS with Bill Johns? How many of the crew from a.p.t. are
                              still around?

                              rgds,
                              --li
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 18, 2009
                                --- In TaoTalk@yahoogroups.com, P Burrows <pburrows@...> wrote:

                                > Wow. emi.net... that was the first email address I ever had. I wonder if
                                > that ISP is still around. They were the "Emi.Net Domain" ...I chose them
                                > cause of the funny name.

                                A cross between eminent and Eminem!

                                I shudder when I remember the aol dial-up days.

                                George, it is amazing that panix is still your home base!

                                rgds,
                                --li

                                <MATZ_Frank/usa_carrollton_ca@...<MATZ_Frank%2Fusa_carrollton_ca%40usx006.stm.com>

                                <Windows/STEVEN/Sally@...<Windows%2FSTEVEN%2FSally%40thetemple.com>

                                <JK7023%ALBNYVMS.bitnet@...<JK7023%25ALBNYVMS.bitnet%40UACSC2.ALBANY.EDU>

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 18, 2009
                                  Good point. That is some mackin domain name longevity, there!

                                  --
                                  Patrick Burrows
                                  http://www.CleverHumans.com