Beware Grouply

  • Thomas Hood
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2008
      I recently joined the relatively inactive Handwriting-L Yahoo Group
      to research in its extensive archive. Sunday I received:

      "We share the HANDWRITING-L group. I want to add you as a friend in
      Grouply so you can see my profile with my pictures, my groups, and my
      favorite group messages.

      Here is the link:
      http://www.grouply.com/register.php?r=1319051&vt=15638664 .

      Michael Miraula"

      On going to the link I was asked for my Yahoo password. God would not
      ask me for my Yahoo password. I checked, and Miraula had not posted
      to Handwriting-L since 2002, nor does he respond to email. The
      message is a Grouply fraud.

      Here's the dope on Grouply:

      "Grouply is stealing Yahoo info

      There are a few new services coming online which are social
      "networking" sites similar to My Space and Facebook. One of these new
      services is called "Grouply". Grouply is tapping Yahoo lists and
      reposting the messages to Grouply members. As soon as ONE list member
      joins this service, all of our messages will then be archived by
      Grouply. Grouply changes your email address to (yourname)@grouply.
      com.
      for the purpose of your Yahoo list mail only. They will also go into
      your Yahoo account and change all of your preferences regarding how
      you view your mail, whether you get individual posts or digests, and
      whether you can be directly added to any of a million other Yahoo
      groups.

      In order to do this, Grouply requires that you give them your Yahoo ID
      and password. I am truly hoping that most of our members are smart
      enough not to hand over that information to ANYONE--especially to
      another web service! There is no guarantee that this information that
      Grouply is aggregating is secure, thus leaving your sign-in info
      available to spammers and hackers--including all of our list files and
      photos.

      At this point, there is no way for us to block Grouply's access to our
      list (although that is being worked on). Until there is, I will be
      checking daily for list members who may have innocently joined
      Grouply. I will be unsubbing and banning them, plus making direct
      contact with them explaining why we will not allow this in our
      membership. They will be welcome to rejoin once they unsub from
      Grouply."
      http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?p=508572

      Tom
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2008
        --- In TaoTalk@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Hood" <pocossin@...> wrote:

        > I recently joined the relatively inactive Handwriting-L Yahoo Group
        > to research in its extensive archive. Sunday I received:
        >
        > "We share the HANDWRITING-L group. I want to add you as a friend in
        > Grouply so you can see my profile with my pictures, my groups, and my
        > favorite group messages.
        >
        > Here is the link:
        > http://www.grouply.com/register.php?r=1319051&vt=15638664 .
        >
        > Michael Miraula"
        >
        > On going to the link I was asked for my Yahoo password. God would not
        > ask me for my Yahoo password. I checked, and Miraula had not posted
        > to Handwriting-L since 2002, nor does he respond to email. The
        > message is a Grouply fraud.
        >
        > Here's the dope on Grouply:
        >
        > "Grouply is stealing Yahoo info
        >
        > There are a few new services coming online which are social
        > "networking" sites similar to My Space and Facebook. One of these new
        > services is called "Grouply". Grouply is tapping Yahoo lists and
        > reposting the messages to Grouply members. As soon as ONE list member
        > joins this service, all of our messages will then be archived by
        > Grouply. Grouply changes your email address to (yourname)@grouply.
        > com.
        > for the purpose of your Yahoo list mail only. They will also go into
        > your Yahoo account and change all of your preferences regarding how
        > you view your mail, whether you get individual posts or digests, and
        > whether you can be directly added to any of a million other Yahoo
        > groups.
        >
        > In order to do this, Grouply requires that you give them your Yahoo ID
        > and password. I am truly hoping that most of our members are smart
        > enough not to hand over that information to ANYONE--especially to
        > another web service! There is no guarantee that this information that
        > Grouply is aggregating is secure, thus leaving your sign-in info
        > available to spammers and hackers--including all of our list files and
        > photos.
        >
        > At this point, there is no way for us to block Grouply's access to our
        > list (although that is being worked on). Until there is, I will be
        > checking daily for list members who may have innocently joined
        > Grouply. I will be unsubbing and banning them, plus making direct
        > contact with them explaining why we will not allow this in our
        > membership. They will be welcome to rejoin once they unsub from
        > Grouply."
        > http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?p=508572
        >
        > Tom

        Thank you for the heads up on the pirates.

        Tom, when you say you will be checking daily for group members and
        unsubbing and banning them, where are you talking? Handwriting-L? If
        not, where? And how would we go about checking in a similar manner
        for taotalk?
      • Thomas Hood
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2008
          --- In TaoTalk@yahoogroups.com, "lisa" <ms_jade_li@...> wrote:

          > Thank you for the heads up on the pirates.
          >
          > Tom, when you say you will be checking daily for group members and
          > unsubbing and banning them, where are you talking? Handwriting-L? If
          > not, where? And how would we go about checking in a similar manner
          > for taotalk?

          No, not me. That was said by the person who posted to snopes.com, but
          I am responsible for a list too, and I certainly will try to defend
          members against Grouply. A fellow member of Handwriting-L posted in
          reply that he had been deceived by Grouply and had to call the company
          to regain control of his Yahoo account.

          Tom