Better Late Than Never ?

  • gregory_candy
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4, 2007
      I'm only 24 years behind the times with this post, but if you haven't seen the movie
      "Koyaanisqatsi" yet, and you are into daoism and/or Buddhism: you're missing something.

      I've just gotten the second of of the "Qatsi Trilogy" (Powaqqutsi) and am going to order the
      third movie (Naqoyqatsi) shortly.

      Guess I needed Philip Glass' 70th birthday last week to get me up off my ass.

      greg
    • Thomas Hood
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007
        --- In TaoTalk@yahoogroups.com, "gregory_candy" <gcandy@...> wrote:

        > I'm only 24 years behind the times with this post, but if you
        haven't seen the movie
        > "Koyaanisqatsi" yet, and you are into daoism and/or Buddhism:
        you're missing something.

        > I've just gotten the second of of the "Qatsi Trilogy" (Powaqqutsi)
        and am going to order the
        > third movie (Naqoyqatsi) shortly.
        >
        > Guess I needed Philip Glass' 70th birthday last week to get me up
        off my ass.

        > greg

        Greg, I'm not a movie person, so please tell why you think this movie
        worthwhile. What are its themes, conflicts, and resolutions.

        Tom
      • bradford hatcher
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007
          > Greg, I'm not a movie person, so please tell why you think this movie
          > worthwhile. What are its themes, conflicts, and resolutions.
          >
          > Tom

          No plot. It's just a video journey, like Baraka, but more disturbing.
          Koyaanisqatsi is the Hopi word for "Life Out Of Balance", or as we
          might say here, Sheng Bu Dao, Life Without the Way
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 5, 2007
            per a movie review found at rottentomatoes.com:

            Koyaanisqatsi
            Director: Godfrey Reggio
            Genre: Documentary
            Publisher: Institute for Regional Education
            Released: 1983
            MPAA Rating: Unrated
            Cast: Godfrey Reggio

            Visual Balancing Act
            A Review by John Nesbit
            10/05/2002

            koy.aa.nis.qat.si (Hopi) [n] 1. crazy life 2. life out of balance
            3. life disintegrating 4. life in turmoil 5. a way of life that calls
            for another way of living.

            Having lived among the Hopi and Navajo for over twenty years before
            moving to the urban megalopolis of Phoenix, Koyaanisqatsi seems like a
            comfortable trip �home.� But its wordless splendor and provocative
            imagery will play like that to people who haven't even visited
            northern Arizona�its basic core values of Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water
            relate to all humanity, making Koyaanisquatsi among the most
            interactive cinematic experiences ever produced as it connects to
            wordless regions of the viewer's soul.

            Although based on a Hopi word, the title was chosen more to avoid
            cultural baggage than reflect Hopi concepts. However, those familiar
            with the Hopi way of life will note thematic similarities with the
            visuals, since their closely-knit families appreciate the essentials
            of daily life that revolves around working the fields surrounding
            their isolated mesa tops. Although many Hopis find they must live in
            such crazy places as Phoenix or Los Angeles to make a living, they
            find that they must return to their homeland in northern Arizona�the
            center of the Universe�to gain perspective and put their lives back
            into balance.

            Director Godfrey Reggio, inspired by Bunuel's Los Olvidados, seeks
            this same sense of balance, beginning with stunning rhythmic visuals
            of Nature that plunge into similar patterns of technology that have
            infused urban life as much as the very air we breathe.

            Over a low rumbling chant, resembling that of Hopi mudhen kachinas or
            Buddhist monks, that simply repeats the film's title and Phillip
            Glasses enigmatic score, Koyaanisqatsi invokes the basic elements in
            its opening sequences that shift from petroglyphs, to fiery images, to
            aerial shots over the mesas and red sandstone canyons of the great
            Southwest. Before long, mesmerizing time-lapse photos of billowing
            clouds shadowing the Grand Canyon, then flowing over ancient Canyon de
            Chelly merge with Niagara Falls and the ocean�convincing evidence of
            the harmony between air and water to sustain life on Earth.

            The breath taking natural beauty lasts for twelve minutes before the
            first man-made objects are introduced. And this begins just north of
            Hopi land on Black Mesa, where huge caterpillar trucks dredge coal.
            Wordlessly the film connects the coal with power lines that flow into
            the city, leading to striking images of urban life and technology,
            where modern canyons are created from skyscrapers. Just as the ocean
            has a natural flow and rhythm, so too do people in their daily
            routines�whether on the crowded freeways or loading into the subway
            from Grand Central Station. And what about computer chips, that look
            so much like aerial photographs of a megalopolis?

            Although you may think that such a wordless film could only play the
            arthouse circuit, the powerful images that Reggio and
            writer/cinematographer Ron Fricke fashion should pack a potent punch
            with most humans. If only this could play on IMAX, it could
            breakthrough as a cinematic cure for drug addiction! Reggio describes
            the cinematic creation as �awesome beauty, terrible beauty, and beauty
            of the beast.� And that about describes it as best you can with mere
            words. It simply has to be seen to be experienced.

            Without preaching, Koyaanisquatsi gets its point across through
            Phillip Glass' hypnotic and evocative score, cinematographer Ron
            Fricke's creative and provocative juxtapositions, and mystical forces
            that allow your brain to make its own connections. Through Fricke's
            creative camera, you'll see life differently than before and just may
            walk away a changed person. Only interactive media can obtain such
            results, and this film stands as a landmark for its genr�. (What that
            genr� is, I'm not exactly sure; if you ask whether Koyaanisquatsi is
            about nature or about technology, all I could say is �yes.�)

            The DVD presentation has an eighteen-minute featurette in which the
            director explains how the Institute for Regional Education project was
            made and what they had in mind. Also released is the second of the
            trilogy, Powaqqatsi (Life in Transformation), which doesn't measure up
            to the power of the first of the series�notably absent is
            cinematographer/writer Fricke, who went on to film the renown Baraka.

            These two �quatsi� films have long been out of print and are a welcome
            addition to the home collection for multiple viewing�and God knows
            I've lost enough bids for a video copy at eBay over the past two
            years. The DVD release coincides with the theatrical debut of the
            finale of the trilogy, Naqoyqatsi (Life as War) in mid October.
            Without Fricke behind the camera, I don't expect the latest chapter to
            compare with Koyaanisquatsi's pensive artistry, but the original is so
            powerful that the �sequels� require viewing. It's a balance thing�a
            compelling need for completeness.

            © Copyright ToxicUniverse.com 10/05/2002

            --- In TaoTalk@yahoogroups.com, "gregory_candy" <gcandy@...> wrote:

            > I'm only 24 years behind the times with this post, but if you
            haven't seen the movie
            > "Koyaanisqatsi" yet, and you are into daoism and/or Buddhism: you're
            missing something.

            > I've just gotten the second of of the "Qatsi Trilogy" (Powaqqutsi)
            and am going to order the
            > third movie (Naqoyqatsi) shortly.
            >
            > Guess I needed Philip Glass' 70th birthday last week to get me up
            off my ass.

            > greg

          • Thomas Hood
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 7, 2007
              --- In TaoTalk@yahoogroups.com, "bradford hatcher" <bradford@...>
              wrote:

              > > Greg, I'm not a movie person, so please tell why you think this
              movie
              > > worthwhile. What are its themes, conflicts, and resolutions.
              > >
              > > Tom
              >
              > No plot. It's just a video journey, like Baraka, but more
              disturbing.
              > Koyaanisqatsi is the Hopi word for "Life Out Of Balance", or as we
              > might say here, Sheng Bu Dao, Life Without the Way

              Thank you, Bradford and Lisa, but I can't help conceptualizing
              everything. It's part of my nature that the monkey mind wont shut
              up. So in lieu of of Greg's personal response, which I really wanted
              because Greg is more interesting than a movie, let's see what we have
              here. I should have known this without asking or consulting

              http://www.koyaanisqatsi.org/films/koyaanisqatsi.php

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koyaanisqatsi
              Wiki's long article

              The more things change the more they are the same.

              theme: spiritual renewal through a return to Nature: Walden West.
              conflict: natural beauty versus urban ugliness.
              resolution: renewal by return to the origin. Well, yes, but it's not
              easy to get there. Make peace with the parents, too.

              Yes?

              Tom
            • gregory_candy
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 7, 2007
                --- In TaoTalk@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Hood" <pocossin@...> wrote:

                > So in lieu of of Greg's personal response, which I really wanted
                > because Greg is more interesting than a movie, let's see what we
                > have here.

                Tom,

                Your comment (complement ?) is most flattering, thank you. So you've
                "guilt-ed me" into leaping back into this thread. ;-)

                For me, the structure of the movie skillfully led us down a path of
                the director's choosing; which was OK by me. The 12 min or so opening
                alluded to in an earlier e-mail went in a sense through the "five
                elements", perhaps not literally; but started with dry, lifeless land,
                to some green, then more green, then ice, fire, sky, cloud, vapor,
                water and so on. And balance. Then the first shot of man is man and
                machine basically at war with the earth. Then shots of man at war
                with man, then shots of man at war with society (or the other way
                around). Eventually we have society as organism or society as machine,
                with us as insignificant constituent parts. A shot toward the end that
                shifts from an aerial photo of a big city to a shot of a circuit board
                was quite a shock if you weren't expecting it. And so on and so
                forth: "Life out of Balance" is one definition of Koyannaqatsi.
                Another (given in the movie) is "life out of control" or "a way of
                living that points to or demands a better way of living." (my
                paraphrases from memory).

                For daoists who try to learn the lessons of nature, this movie shows
                how as a society we are not only ignoring the lessons of nature, but
                ignoring and destoying nature itself; and in the process
                loosing/destroying our own nature.

                My 2-cents.

                Greg
              • Thomas Hood
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 9, 2007
                  --- In TaoTalk@yahoogroups.com, "gregory_candy" <gcandy@...> wrote:

                  > For daoists who try to learn the lessons of nature, this movie shows
                  > how as a society we are not only ignoring the lessons of nature, but
                  > ignoring and destoying nature itself; and in the process
                  > loosing/destroying our own nature.
                  >
                  > My 2-cents.
                  >
                  > Greg

                  And a fine 2-cents it is. Thanks, Greg.