i'm a pepper

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2006
      Or should I say a pepper is growing in the back yard?

      All of these years of gardening have been exclusively growing flowers
      and ornamental trees, shrubs, and grasses (and a feeble attempt at
      growing ginseng). Younger son obliquely inspired my trying something
      different this year.

      Every year younger son grows peppers at his dad's house and ends up
      bringing a couple of them over here.

      This spring, while younger son was still gone to college, I decided to
      order him a packet of mixed hot pepper seeds. When he came home I
      gave him the packet. He said his dad wasn't going to have a garden
      this year. So... I didn't want the pepper seeds to languish or not be
      used to their potential.

      I got a couple of pie tins and managed to sprout them, albeit a bit
      later than they should have been sprouted. It was already past frost
      so the sprouting took place outside. When they actually made it to
      the seedling level and growing their second set of leaves, I planted
      them in an oblong container that used to have flowers in it but only
      was growing weeds.

      Using Osmocote, which is a coated, pelleted, time-released fertilizer
      (I **highly** recommend it-- or the form of it anyway --as the
      preferable, non-polluting and optimal maximization of fertilizer) and
      lots of sunshine and enough water, even through this drought we've
      been having, the plants have been thriving beyond my wildest
      imagining! This week has been the best so far, when I examined the
      plants and see a tiny pepper, maybe 1/4 the size of a pinky nail,
      growing. There are lots and lots of blossoms on the plants, and the
      container sits next to a patch of bee balm, so I'm hoping to see more
      peppers growing in the near future.

      Since my camera gave up the ghost about a year ago, I will have to
      have older son take a pic, or break down and buy another camera.
      Hopefully there will be a picture or two to post.

      Anybody else have gardening stories to tell?

      rgds,
      lisa