The 36 Strategies: #1

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4 2:45 PM
      The following is from Rick Matz' blog, found at:
      http://cookdingskitchen.blogspot.com/

      The 36 Strategies: #1, Fool the Emperor to Cross the Sea

      Next to Sun Tzu's the Art of War, the 36 Stratgies is probably the
      most famous Chinese strategy book. The 36 strategies are fundamentally
      what many manuevers boil down to. It pays for someone even casually
      interested in the topic of strategy to be familiar with them, if only
      to recognise when someone is trying to use one of these strategies on you.

      The first one in the book is: Fool the Emperor to Cross the Sea. The
      folk story whence this stategy comes is that of an incident concerning
      the Tang Dynasty Emperor Tai Zong. The emperor was campaigning against
      the Koreans. His general advised him to cross the Yellow Sea to the
      Korean Peninsula, to suprise the Koreans behind their lines.

      The problem was that the emperor was afraid of large bodies of water.
      The general had a large ship decorated as a country estate and had
      banners hung all around so that you could not see the ocean.

      They told the emperor that a local aristocrat invited him to dine at
      his estate. Once aboartd, the emperor dined and was entertained all
      night. In the meantime, the ship quietly set sail.

      The next morning, they arrived at their destination, with the Emperor
      none the wiser.

      A more modern interpretation might be: Sneak across an ocean in broad
      daylight

      This means to create a front that eventually becomes imbued with an
      atmosphere or impression of familiarity, within which the strategist
      may maneuver unseen while all eyes are trained to see obvious
      familiarities.
      My comment on it was:
      Maybe I misunderstood the story. The way it sounded to me is that the
      generals needed the emperor to cross the ocean to win their conflict,
      but the emperor was afraid of crossing the ocean, so they gave the
      emperor an illusion of not crossing the ocean to put his mind at ease.
      I didn't reach the same conclusion you did. What I saw is that, even
      though the emperor was aware he would be crossing the ocean, he was
      willing to suspend what he knew as truth in order to reach his goal.
      Or maybe that he was willing to be fooled into disregarding personal
      fears for the greater good of his people.
      Rick said:
      The Emperor was duped by the familiar, in this case the illusion of a
      country estate.

      And:
      While it's on my mind, I'd like to write a little more about this.

      Daoism is the about the study of nature, including human nature. We
      are flooded with so much information everyday, we are wired to NOT pay
      much attention to that which is most familiar.

      Blending into the familiar is what this stratgy is all about.
      Then I said:
      I understand what the underlying message is of the strategy. I just
      think that particular story is somehow "tainted" by them throwing in
      the emperor's phobia of water.

      Since I wanted to read more about the 36 strategies, but mainly wanted
      to find other examples illustrating the first strategy, I found 2
      better stories. One about a pesky rat and one about a neighboring
      country who kept trespassing.

      Oh, one more thing. The same symbol is used for both emperor and
      heaven. If I remember what the webpage said, it's heaven rules earth
      like the emperor rules the people. So possibly you could use your
      "blending into nature" to interpret strategy #1 as blend in with
      nature to get where you need to go.
      And then Rick said:
      Perhaps!

      Looking for any comments, responses, feedback, further elaboration,
      etc on any and/or all of the above 
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4 2:47 PM

        > Looking for any comments, responses, feedback, further elaboration,
        > etc on any and/or all of the above  <--that WAS a smiley.
        The transfer from word to here changed it.