poetry -- external vs internal

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10 4:28 AM
      I prefer reading and writing external poetry rather than internal.
      External describes the here and now, but in a context of all we
      experientially know. For example, you the viewer/writer describing
      a vision of a particular tree at a particular time of the year,
      looking just-so in a unique moment of time is external. The words
      will describe the tree in such a way that the reader conjures the
      image in their mind. It's like the hologram hidden in the droid in
      the Star Wars movie. No hidden messages other than the hidden
      message. External poetry is clean and simple.

      Internal poetry describes an imagined perception. There is no
      pinning the where other than the place in your mind that perceived
      the point of view, with aesthetically, linguistically combined
      blocks called words, inadequate to capture even a smidge of all --
      the life lived in order to get to this place -- essential to a
      symphony of empathy rather than a lonely twanging on a heart-/soul-
      string. Internal poetry is messy and murky.