synchronous taopoetry

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2004
      from the April 5 issue of The New Yorker:

      DAISIES

      It is possible, I suppose, that sometime
      we will learn everything
      there is to learn: what the world is, for example,
      and what it means. I think this as I am crossing
      from one field to another, in summer, and the
      mockingbird is mocking me, as one who either
      knows enough already or knows enough to be
      perfectly content not knowing. Song being born
      of quest he knows this: he must turn silent
      were he suddenly assaulted with answers. Instead

      oh hear his wild, caustic, tender warbling ceaselessly
      unanswered. At my feet the white-petalled daisies display
      the small suns of their centerpiece, their--if you don't
      mind my saying so--their hearts. Of course
      I could be wrong, perhaps their hearts are pale and
      narrow and hidden in the the roots. What do I know.
      But this: it is heaven itself to take what is given,
      to see what is plain; what the sun
      lights up willingly; for example--I think this
      as I reach down, not to pick but merely to touch--
      the suitability of the field for the daisies, and the
      daisies for the field.

      --Mary Oliver