Re: [TaoTalk] Quote of the Day

  • Dave Winslow (Dad)
    Message 1 of 74 , Jun 1, 2003
      From: "Patrick Burrows" <pburrows@...>

      > I can believe Dave Winslow \(Dad\) said:
      >
      > >From: "listening" <listening@...>
      > >
      > > > Persons of high self-esteem are not driven to make themselves
      > >superior
      > > > to others; they do not seek to prove their value by measuring
      > >themselves
      > > > against a comparative standard. Their joy is being who they are,
      not
      > >in
      > > > being better than someone else.
      > > >
      > > > ~~ Nathaniel Branden~~
      > >
      > >AH, great to read Branden's words, a prescription for mental health
      as
      > >good as any. Its strange that this has a Taoist feel to it, but
      this
      > >guy's greatest influence was Ayn Rand!
      >

      > I'm not a fan of the Rand. Though I do like that quote. It's only
      taoist
      > feel is the implication that all taoists have high self-esteem.
      Seems
      > unlikely to me.

      Hi Patrick, it was the implication that we not measure ourselves
      against others or strive for superiority that seemed Taoist to me. If
      such things are linked to self esteem as Brandon suggests, then I
      think the deal can work backwards. That is the enlightened Taoist who
      frees himself or herself from petty comparisons will necessarily enjoy
      self esteem.

      Dave
      Message 74 of 74 , Jun 20, 2003
        Patrick:
        > > My goal in life is to become a dirty old man.

        Dave:
        > Yes we are at different places, I am 59. More and more, dirty is
        what
        > you get from working in the garden!

        funny. I can relate :)

        rgds,