Re: experiencing the labyrinth

  • lday@pathcom.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2001
      --- In TaoTalk@y..., "lisa" <oneof10k@a...> wrote:
      > from the flyer:
      >
      > "Join us when we walk a replica of the Chartres Labyrinth, a
      winding,
      > unbroken 1/3-mile path. The labyrinth is a path of spiritual
      > transformation. Using sacred geometry, it was created to be a space
      > where one's inner and outer worlds could safely commune--where the
      > psyche could meet the soul. Come walk the Chartres Labyrinth with
      us
      > and see what awaits you there. The walk will be preceded by a
      > lecture discussing the unique design and properties of the Chartres
      > Labyrinth."
      >
      > I will be doing this on October 27. One of the 2 presenters is a
      > local physician. He was your standard western doctor until about 12
      > years ago, when it was discovered that he had an inoperable
      > astrocytoma in his brain. Instead of giving up and waiting to die,
      > this doc started studying alternative ways of healing. A few years
      > ago he opened the first holistic health center in the area. As I
      > read about the labyrinth I thought it sounded intriguing. When I
      > read who was presenting, I knew I had to go.
      >
      > Does anyone know anything about labyrinths in general or this one in
      > particular? You have to admit, the opportunity to introduce one's
      > psyche to one's soul sounds pretty awesome :)

      I've always found labyrinths fascinating.
      On an island in Toronto harbour
      there is one with big hedges
      that takes up about an acre.
      It is very close to where my parents first met back in the 1940s.

      Mazes are also fun.

      Laying out a magic square with ho tu trigrams
      in one's garden and moving through it in numerical
      order is also fun.

      Current events can seem a bit of a maze.
      Today, October 2, is Mahatma Gandhi's birthday.
      An interesting article is available at:

      -la

      > rgds,
      > --li
    • Michael Corey
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2001
        >From: "lisa" <oneof10k@...>
        >To: TaoTalk@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [TaoTalk] experiencing the labyrinth
        >Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 02:44:48 -0000

        >TaoTalk-owner@yahoogroups.com
        >
        >from the flyer:
        >
        >"Join us when we walk a replica of the Chartres Labyrinth, a winding,
        >unbroken 1/3-mile path. The labyrinth is a path of spiritual
        >transformation. Using sacred geometry, it was created to be a space
        >where one's inner and outer worlds could safely commune--where the
        >psyche could meet the soul. Come walk the Chartres Labyrinth with us
        >and see what awaits you there. The walk will be preceded by a
        >lecture discussing the unique design and properties of the Chartres
        >Labyrinth."

        sounds rather amazing, it does ;) i wonder, what is the properties of this
        sacred geometry that allowed it to be reproduced in a real space.
        sounds rather ambitious to let the psyche meet the soul.
        might it also work in a virtual space (ie. computer model) ? of course, the
        tangibilists among you might point out that it lacks the essence of touch,
        and smell, etc. yet, an experience of geometry is first and foremost
        spatial and visual. of course, there is an element of balance, orientation,
        and mental concentration.. however, there are ways to simulate these
        sensations on a screen. Imagine the labyrinth on Imax, and how SICK you may
        get! personally, i would enjoy it :P

        >I will be doing this on October 27.

        sweet, have fun!

        > One of the 2 presenters is a
        >local physician. He was your standard western doctor until about 12
        >years ago, when it was discovered that he had an inoperable
        >astrocytoma in his brain. Instead of giving up and waiting to die,
        >this doc started studying alternative ways of healing. A few years
        >ago he opened the first holistic health center in the area.

        i assumed he was healed of his astrocytoma .. or at least it went into
        remission.

        >As I
        >read about the labyrinth I thought it sounded intriguing. When I
        >read who was presenting, I knew I had to go.
        >
        >Does anyone know anything about labyrinths in general or this one in
        >particular? You have to admit, the opportunity to introduce one's
        >psyche to one's soul sounds pretty awesome :)

        perhaps terrifying and amazing all at once :-)

        i might point out that logicians (notably Frege) have demonstrated that
        geometry can be represented by arithmetic, which can be proven by logic.
        what i mean by bringing this up is that the labyrinth may tie into our inate
        ability to construct mental models with simple truths about shapes and
        vectors. thus, the one who is in a labyrinth, and separated on a path, may
        be at the same time internally construct a sense of the entire maze, and
        predict a way out! Our mind is the most wonderful modeller on the market..
        perhaps this practise, while significant on its own (it teaches us to
        escape mazes), may allow us to evolve a workable metaphor for our tangled
        embodiments. for instance, we can tie it into our thoughts about moments.
        i may be stuck in one moment, but at the same time i may construct an
        internal model of the interconnections b/w my moment and the available
        moments of 10,000 others right now.
        or, i may be stuck in one moment, but at the same time i may construct an
        internal model of my 10,000 moments before this one moments, or the 10,000
        moments that follow.
        maybe you will discover how to escape yur own predicaments, or how to at
        least become comfortable with them, and get a sense of their synergy.
        on the level of the soul, maybe you will get a better sense of how
        individual actions (one turn here, one turn there) can have eternal
        importance.

        dont get lost,

        Mike C.

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2001
          la writes:

          > Current events can seem a bit of a maze.
          > Today, October 2, is Mahatma Gandhi's birthday.
          > An interesting article is available at:
          >
          > http://www.commondreams.org/views01/1002-05.htm
          >
          > -la
          > >
          > > rgds,
          > > --li

          hi la,
          Just read the article. As a daoist, it is common practice to see the
          relativity in things. The following was sent to me today:

          "On Monday there were people fighting against praying in schools
          On Tuesday you would have been hard pressed to find a school where
          someone was not praying

          On Monday there were people were trying to separate each other by
          race,
          sex, color and creed
          On Tuesday they were all holding hands

          On Monday we thought that we were secure
          On Tuesday we learned better

          On Monday we were talking about heroes as being athletes
          On Tuesday we relearned what hero meant

          On Monday people went to work at the World Trade Centers as usual
          On Tuesday some died

          On Monday people were fighting the 10 commandments on government
          property
          On Tuesday the same people all said 'God help us all' while thinking
          'Thou shall not kill'

          On Monday people argued with their kids about picking up their room
          On Tuesday the same people could not get home fast enough to hug their
          kids

          On Monday people picked up McDonalds for dinner
          On Tuesday they stayed home

          On Monday people were upset that their dry cleaning was not ready on
          time
          On Tuesday they were lining up to give blood for the dying

          On Monday politicians argued about budget surpluses
          On Tuesday grief stricken they sang 'God Bless America'

          On Monday we worried about the traffic and getting to work late
          On Tuesday we worried about a plane crashing into your house or place
          of
          business

          On Monday we were irritated that our rebate checks had not arrived
          On Tuesday we saw people celebrating people dying in the USA

          On Monday some children had solid families
          On Tuesday they were orphans

          On Monday the president was going to Florida to read to children
          On Tuesday he returned to Washington to protect our children

          On Monday we emailed jokes
          On Tuesday we did not

          It is sadly ironic how it takes horrific events to place things into
          perspective, but it has. The lessons learned this week, the things we
          have taken for granted, the things that have been forgotten or
          overlooked, hopefully never will be again...."

          Here is what I wrote a friend of mine today:

          "I've been staying away from the media reports of the whole thing.
          It is still too painful for me to look at pictures or read
          descriptions of the sorrow that has come out of the acts of crazed
          fundamentalists. I will say that I am very thankful that there are
          those out there who have kept their heads about them and are poised
          for action and taking action to keep the bastards from doing any more
          damage. I hope the terrorists are ferreted out and exterminated
          quickly."

          Don't tell me that the U.S.A. and each of the U.S.'s allied countries
          doesn't have assassins who can do the job.

          rgds,
          --li

          p.s. One of my co-workers has 3 children in the D.C. area. One of
          her sons, who is in the military, was chosen to do Pentagon cleanup
          duty.