tanka prose in Santa Fe Broadside

  • paplinda
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1 4:15 AM
      http://www.sfpoetry.org/

      Jeffrey Woodward has just emailed me that the special issue of Santa
      Fe that he's edited is online. In it are tanka prose contributions
      from Bob Lucky, Terra Martin, Gary LeBel, Patricia Prime, Jeffrey
      Woodward, Marjorie A. Buettner, and me. Also collages by Gary LeBel.

      I already knew Bob's, Terra's, Pat's and Jeff's pieces from when they
      were being workshopped and am very pleased that one of mine was
      included too. Here 'tis, but please also go to the full issue.

      ----
      On Wings

      Thump of a bird against the window, then silence. I assume it flew
      away and hours pass before I find the tiny feathered bundle on the
      deck. With workmen at the house, I do what normally I wouldn’t: pick
      it up with bare hands.

      The talons are clenched in rigor mortis, eyes closed as if the end had
      not been swift and violent. Marveling at the translucence of its tail,
      the spotted pattern on its throat and pale gray breast, I lay it on
      the railing till I have a moment and can get a shovel. . .

      heart shining
      to the morning sky
      a spirit
      sparrow on its bier
      midway between worlds

      Linda Papanicolaou
      Santa Fe Poery Broadside 55 Sept. 2008

      Linda Papanicolaou
    • kitsune miko
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2 1:28 PM
        Kewel!
        Sandy

        --
        "Expectations are resentments under construction."

        -Anne Lamott-