Re: [TanglewoodCommunity] CHOW, SL, Tanglewood and WP

  • Darlene Goodman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 7, 2008
      I'm glad to hear that you and your DD like CHOW! I've read some reviews on the SL forums that the children's eyes glaze over when reading it, LOL!!

      I was initially going to skip the Tanglewood books that are SL read-alouds, but I figured that there may be a year or two until we get to them again through SL. For example, Tanglewood's Grade 1 has you reading The Cricket in Times Square which you'll read again in Core 2. With SL's comprehension questions and the fact that my DD will be at least two years older when we read it again, we'll be reading and studying it at a deeper level and she'll have a deeper level of understanding when we re-read it. Besides, I always enjoyed re-reading my favourites!

      Have you looked into WinterPromise's programs? You could add in some books from their programs to stretch out Cores 1 and 2. If your DD loves animals, I would recommend Animals and Their Worlds.

      Oh, I love to plan as well! I was even contemplating how I could add in Galloping the Globe with Core K!!

      Darlene

      On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 1:09 PM, Sherry <leonanablue@...> wrote:
      Thanks for the info about the Josephus book. If I come across it at a
      cheap price, I think I will get it. We have read the OT from the
      Ergermeir's Bible (which we loved), so I have covered some of it.

      Well, I have changed my mind again, lol. I'm finding that some of the
      Tanglewood RA's are Readers in later years for SL. I think I will do as
      you and stick with SL as my base, and incorporate Tanglewood books for
      our home library. Any SL or Tanglewood books we don't want to keep, I
      will list on PBS, and then get credits for more books.

      I wish I had done as you and done Core B for K. This is why I am doing
      Core 1 and 2 in three years, and then I can do Core 3 for 4th grade. I
      think I will also get Our Island Story and use it for next year. I also
      want to get the d'Aulaire books, the Hollings books, and the Burgess
      books.

      We are doing 2-3 days of school this summer by reading CHOW. I really
      like CHOW, and dd likes it too. We are taking a break from the heavier
      books and reading Boxcar Children. I think dd could read a lot of it
      herself, but she wants me to read them.

      Thanks for discussing this with me! It's nice to find another planner,
      lol. I think it's fun, although when I discuss it with other hs'ing
      friends, their eyes start to glaze over, lol.
    • Sherry Gillingham
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 7, 2008
        Re: CHOW, sometimes I skip over the more flowery language. However, overall I think it is a good world history book for this age. I think people tend to post more when they don't like something, so I believe the majority are ok with CHOW. Going by posts about SL's LA, you would think no one uses it. However, when they did a poll on the forum, the actual number who liked the LA was 65%. I think I'll try and set up a poll on CHOW!

        DD does love animals. However, I'm afraid to look at any other curriculums, lol. I'm overflowing in books suggestions as it is! I won't have a problem stretching out the cores, as we are only halfway done with Core 1. I am also incorporating Tanglewood, along with Our Island Story. We have a lot of activities going on, so I only school 3 days a week on average, although we don't stop in the summer. She will be going to a one day a week school for electives next year also.

        Now I'm just impatiently waiting for our IRS stimulus money so I can buy some books!

        Sherry

      • Darlene Goodman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 8, 2008
          Are you going to read Our Island Story at the pace of AO or at Tanglewood's Grade 2 pace? Will you be doing the history add-ins from Tanglewood as well?

          Since we'll be reading OIS at AO's pace, I have added already some of the history add-ins from Tanglewood's Grade 2 even though we're doing Grade 1. When we follow AO Year 2 and Tanglewood's Grade 2 next year, I'll have to decide whether to continue AO's OIS pace or to follow Tanglewood's. I guess it all depends how our Grade 1 year goes and whether we find AO's pace too slow.

          Are we the only 2 people on this board?? No one else has piped in!

          Darlene

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 8, 2008
            I know of one other user for next year, from another group (AHomeschoolReviewatYahooGroups.com). There are some CM users on that group. I will let her know about this group.

            I am now not sure what I'm going to do! I change my mind every 15 seconds, lol. I was going to use SL's schedule, and add in TW and AO. SL has such good resale value, I won't lose money if I don't use all of it. OTH, I won't use all of it, lol. I'm still thinking.

            I want to finish reading CHOW through the Romans to get to the history covered in TW grade 2. I also want to fnish some SL Core 1 RA's. Then I will go into the time period of Core 2, TW2 and AO(2?). I need to check all of the schedules and see what will work.

            Sherry