New to Tanglewood and Group

  • Sherry
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2008
      I just came across the website, and I love the booklists. I want to do
      2nd grade next year with my dd.

      I noticed this group is very quiet. Is anyone still using it? I was
      also wondering what happened to the owner of the curriculum.

      Sherry
      Mom to Ana (7)
    • Darlene Goodman
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2008
        Hi, Sherry! Yes, it is a very quiet group! I recently joined as well, and it has been quiet. Maybe we can stir up some activity?

        I was thrilled to stumble across the Tanglewood website. I am using Grade 1 with my DD. We are voracious readers. We will be using Sonlight Core K as our "main" curriculum and adding WinterPromise's Animals and Their Worlds (spread out over 2 years), Ambleside Online's Year 1 (which we won't be starting until spring), and Tanglewood's Grade 1. Whew!! Lots of books, but there are quite a few books that overlap between the different programs. We also enjoy FIAR.

        The owner of the curriculum (Diana) is still around. I sent her an email recently about one of the books she recommended (Our Young Folks Josephus), and she wrote me back. I have no idea if this is her group?

        Darlene

        On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 9:56 PM, Sherry <leonanablue@...> wrote:
        I just came across the website, and I love the booklists. I want to do
        2nd grade next year with my dd.

        I noticed this group is very quiet. Is anyone still using it? I was
        also wondering what happened to the owner of the curriculum.

        Sherry
        Mom to Ana (7)

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           mailto:TanglewoodCommunity-digest@yahoogroups.com
           mailto:TanglewoodCommunity-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Sherry
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2008
          Hi Darlene!

          I also stumbled on this list recently, and really love the books. We
          did Core K for K last year (which we loved), and I did half of Core 1
          for 1st grade. I find that some of the Core 1 books are above dd's
          level, or she doesn't like them.

          So I was looking for a way to avoid buying a whole package with not
          using 1/3 of the books, if you know what I mean. SL has good resell,
          but dd won't part with 2/3rds of the books, lol.

          Wow, you have a lot of books planned! I also like AO, along with SL,
          and Tanglewood. I was driving myself crazy trying to decide.

          AO and Tanglewood have literature that fits my dd better than SL
          RA's. However, I like the world focus that SL has. I think I will do
          as you and incorporate books from all of them. I just have to decide
          which books to use.

          I think I am going to continue with Child's History of the World,
          which I purchased for SL Core 1, and then incorporate history books
          from AO and Tanglewood. Although I like the looks of The Island
          Story. I think I will try and fit that in also this year.

          I want to do my modified Core 2, AO, Tanglewood for 3rd grade. For
          4th grade, I think I will mainly do SL's Core 3, as I want more IG
          help in the later years.

          I think I will use Tanglewood for literature read alouds for 2nd and
          3rd, and then have other books from AO and SL for our home library,
          when dd is older and can read them independently. I thought of using
          the library, as we have a good one. However, I think that if I have
          the books at home, dd will be more inclined to read them. Also, it
          seems that the books I want are always checked out.

          Phew, so many good books and too little time!

          I assumed that this group was the owner's group, but it looks like
          that is not so. I'm glad the website is still up, and it is a great
          resource.

          I was curious about the Young Josephus book. Is it considered an
          accurate history book? I was searching for comments on Tanglewood,
          and read one criticism of this book. The poster was Jewish, and
          Josephus was a traitor to the Jews, so I could see why she did not
          care for it. She said it would be like Americans looking to Benedict
          Arnold to write an American history book, lol.

          Sherry
          Mom to Ana (7)

          --- In TanglewoodCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Darlene Goodman"
          <WpgAPmama@...> wrote:

          > Hi, Sherry! Yes, it is a very quiet group! I recently joined as
          well, and it has been quiet. Maybe we can stir up some activity?

          > I was thrilled to stumble across the Tanglewood website. I am using
          Grade 1 with my DD. We are voracious readers. We will be using
          Sonlight Core K as our "main" curriculum and adding WinterPromise's
          Animals and Their Worlds (spread out over 2 years), Ambleside
          Online's Year 1 (which we won't be starting until spring), and
          Tanglewood's Grade 1. Whew!! Lots of books, but there are quite a few
          books that overlap between the different programs. We also enjoy FIAR.

          > The owner of the curriculum (Diana) is still around. I sent her an
          email recently about one of the books she recommended (Our Young
          Folks Josephus), and she wrote me back. I have no idea if this is her
          group?

          > Darlene
        • Darlene Goodman
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 6, 2008
            Hi, Sherry!

            Looks like you and I have similar tastes - loving SL, AO and Tanglewood, LOL!! So many books, so little time.

            We are using SL Core K for Grade 1 with DD6. My initial plans were to use it for kindergarten, but then I realized that so many of the books would be way over her head. So, for her kindergarten year, I am doing SL Core B with Janet's alternate schedule, to which I have added to make it even meatier: SL Core A, WinterPromise's Journeys of Imagination, BFIAR and FIAR, Come Sit by Me, SL LA K, LLATL, RightStart Math, PowerGlide German, and a ton of critical thinking books.

            Both AO Year 1 and Tanglewood's Grade 1 use Our Island Story. We'll be reading that book at the pace of AO Year 1. I've added in the supplemental readings from Tanglewood's history to coincide with AO Year 1, such as the Story of King Arthur.

            Agreeing with you that SL books tend to be a little "heavy". That's why I've added in WP's Animals and Their Worlds. DD loves animals, and these books are "fluffier" and "lighter". I think it will help to balance the harder books from SL. I really love the d'Aulaire books from AO Year 1, as well as Paddle to the Sea and the Burgess book. The AO Year 1 books that I think DD will struggle with will be Trial and Triumph, Our Island Story, and Shakespeare. This is the reason that I'm holding off until spring to start AO Year 1, when DD will be 7 yrs.

            I am really impressed with Tanglewood's book selections. I suspect that we will be getting ahead in the SL read-alouds, so we'll be using Tanglewood's literature suggestions for adding in some lighter reading. I bought the Poetry for Young Readers pack from Scholastic because I loved the Robert Louis Stevenson so much that Tanglewood uses for Grade 1. These are really beautiful poetry books, and I want to have the entire set.

            Regarding your question about the Our Young Folks Josephus, according to the publisher's website: "Our Young Folks' Josephus" is a simplified retelling of the great historian Flavius Josephus' epic narratives, "The Antiquities of the Jews" and "The Jewish Wars." It covers the history of Israel from the time of Abraham until the fall of Jerusalem in A.D. 70, following the Septuagint chronology. This work is an invaluable supplement to the study of Old Testament history, covering a broad period of time in detail, yet at a more manageable pace suitable for the mid-elementary level through middle school.

            "...a must have for every bookshelf." ~ Eclectic Homeschool Online

            I did order the book, but it hasn't arrived yet. I searched for comments on Amazon, and those that I read were from homeschoolers who had used it and I didn't read any negative reviews.

            LOL, I see that you are a planner as well!! I can't wait for SL Cores 1 and 2 for world history. I was thinking of supplementing with WP's Children Around the World for those years and then with WP's American Story I and II for SL Cores 3 and 4. I will also continue to add in AO and Tanglewood suggestions. I plan to use the library as much as possible for the Tanglewood and AO suggestions. For the books that the library doesn't have, I've already bought what I need for Grade 1. Since SL is our base, anything we read from WP or AO or Tanglewood is "gravy" and I won't be trying to keep up with four different schedules. I will follow the WP/AO/Tanglewood schedules for the sake of orderliness and keeping track of what we read and when, but I certainly won't be keeping up with them at the same pace as SL.

            We're just finishing up Week 28 from my "meaty" kindergarten schedule. I had a baby in December, so that set us back a little bit. We should be finished up with our current material by the end of July, and I simply can't wait to start with Grade 1!! DD is also excited because I keep ordering books and then taking them down to the basement. She looks at them when they arrive and wants to read them now, but I keep making her wait, LOL!

            Darlene

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 6, 2008
              Thanks for the info about the Josephus book. If I come across it at a
              cheap price, I think I will get it. We have read the OT from the
              Ergermeir's Bible (which we loved), so I have covered some of it.

              Well, I have changed my mind again, lol. I'm finding that some of the
              Tanglewood RA's are Readers in later years for SL. I think I will do as
              you and stick with SL as my base, and incorporate Tanglewood books for
              our home library. Any SL or Tanglewood books we don't want to keep, I
              will list on PBS, and then get credits for more books.

              I wish I had done as you and done Core B for K. This is why I am doing
              Core 1 and 2 in three years, and then I can do Core 3 for 4th grade. I
              think I will also get Our Island Story and use it for next year. I also
              want to get the d'Aulaire books, the Hollings books, and the Burgess
              books.

              We are doing 2-3 days of school this summer by reading CHOW. I really
              like CHOW, and dd likes it too. We are taking a break from the heavier
              books and reading Boxcar Children. I think dd could read a lot of it
              herself, but she wants me to read them.

              Thanks for discussing this with me! It's nice to find another planner,
              lol. I think it's fun, although when I discuss it with other hs'ing
              friends, their eyes start to glaze over, lol.

              Sherry