Is there anyone there? Questions (long)

  • momspeapods
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2008
      Hi Again!

      I have noticed that this is not a very active group but I am very
      excited about using Tanglewood but I still have some questions. We
      are new to homeschooling and just trying to find where we fit in as
      far as style. I stumbled upon Tanglewood while researching Charlotte
      Masons ideas and methods. I feel very drawn toward an education which
      utilizes these. This is where my confusion starts because I have been
      looking at both Ambleside and Tanglewood. I feel much more drawn
      toward using Tanglewood but am uncertain about older years. It seems
      that Tanglewood is more Charlotte Mason in the younger years and
      switches to more Classical approach around 5 or 6th grade. I have
      been doing some reading and I don't really understand the whole
      trivium. My oldest will be entering homeschool at a 4th grade level
      next school year right from ps. He has some learning differences and
      received assistance in ps. He is 9 (10 in sept.) We brought him home
      because he was having health problems due to stress over school and
      his work. It was questionable about wheither he would pass for the
      year. His writing is horrible, both handwriting and actual language
      skills. He has a difficult time getting his ideas from his head to
      the paper. He has problems with his working memory and staying
      focused.
      My question is how and when do I make that transition into the
      dialect stage? He is right at the edge now. Our plan is to actually
      start with the second grade year possible even the first so that we
      can get that chronological history. I also have a soon to be 2nd
      grader whom I was wanting to combine as far as history and science.
      They will work on seperate language, spelling, and math. Everything
      that I have read about Classical education seems to start from
      kindergarten the with a cycle of chronologic history. It seems that
      each year gradually works more toward that dialect stage. This will
      be a new way of learning for him and he is somewhat damaged from ps
      how does he fit in to the trivium? Does this make sense?

      Thank you and God Bless

      Sorry soooo long!!

      Jennifer