New Member intro

  • momspeapods
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 18 5:50 PM
      I just wanted to say Hi and introduce myself. My name is Jennifer and I
      am a hs mom of 4 dc. I was so excited today to stumble on this
      curriculum. I love the CM curriculum and have always used it in some
      way or the other. I have decided to choose the CM method in full for
      our next school year. I like the way the lessons are simple and layed
      out. One question I have though is it possible to use one level for
      more then one child? I will have a 2nd and 4th grader next year and we
      have always combined our history and science. Is this possible with
      this curriculum? If not how hard is it to do more than one at the same
      time?

      Thank you in advance
      Jennifer
    • Carolyn
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 20 6:43 AM
        As someone who has created her own curriculum based on the excellent Tanglewood
        suggestions, I can assert a couple of things about combining. I have two children four
        years apart, so that's going to take some juggling. However, from all the reading that I
        have done as well, I say these few things:

        1) When combining, try to do so with the main, as Charlotte Mason called them,
        inspirational subjects, being History, Geography, and Science. You can involve everyone in
        studying about ancient history, just age-appropriate activities of course. Many times
        moms will choose simpler components of a larger activity or experiment to be done by the
        younger child. Readings can be almost always enjoyed altogether, including most great
        literature. A great advantage of combining studies is that your oldest will impart his
        knowledge to the younger and reinforce his own learning. It also serves as a way to
        further deepen relationships and shared experiences among siblings.

        2) When in doubt, teach to the older child. The younger will catch up and learn a lot by
        osmosis.

        Good luck, and welcome to the group,

        Carolyn

        --- In TanglewoodCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "momspeapods" <jagreensboro@...>