Introduction - Donna T.

  • dthom36507
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2006
      Hello! My name is Donna Thompson. I just joined your group. I
      understand it is not very active but still appreciate the opportunity
      to chat with you. I also signed up for the one other Tanglewood
      group that I found on yahoo. I frequent the Well-Trained Mind board
      and several others. I am looking for information on how this
      curriculum works. I am homeschooling a seven year old who will be
      second grade next year and a four year old. We have recently started
      Sonlight Core 1 with some other things. I love CM and the classical
      approach particularly the model as advocated by the Bluedorns. we
      ised My Father's World last year for first grade.

      I just returned from convention and was thrilled to get a copy of The
      Young Folks' Josephus. I really want to use this as the spine for our
      first year of the Ancients. I have recently started Sonlight Core 1
      Intro. to World History. I had hoped there was some type of schedule
      out there in cyber world that would coordinate these two a bit as
      many of the books listed on the Tanglewood list came with Core 1.
      How does this work? Should I download a file from Tanglewood and
      make my own schedule? Do you go at your own pace or try to fit it
      all in a year? I have my SL schedule but I want to get maximum use
      out of the Josephus book and coordinate the other SL books around it.

      Also, I have The Handbook of Nature Study. I have had it for years
      but don't know the best way to use it either. I got the Burgess Bird
      Book at convention along with a Birds of Alabama (where we live)
      field guide that has all the bird calls/songs. I would love ideas on
      how to actually use the Handbook.

      I have tons of other resources but don't know how to pull it all
      together. I think I have some awesome materials but don't know how
      to pull it all together or if I should even try at this age to have
      everything perfectly coordinated. We do have a Book of Time that
      we've used for the last two years.

      Would the grade 1 of Tanglewood work ok with a second grader? He is
      reading and writing (copywork) very well. How do the young children
      like the Josephus book?

      Any direction, feedback will be greatly appreciated!

      Blessings,
      Donna T.