Is this group still going?

  • Michelle
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 23, 2006
      Haven't seen any activity for some time.

      I'm looking at using Tanglewood for my Year 1 ds in about 6 months
      from now, so I'm trying to get organized and find out more about the
      curriculum, how it works, pros/cons etc.

      Is there anywhere else to go to find people using this curriculum?

      I hope this group will continue because the curriculum looks really
      good and it would be great to share experiences, ideas etc.

      Blessings,
      Michelle (in Jerusalem)
    • mccollumannemarie
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 23, 2006
        Well - I always check to see if there are any messages - but as you
        can see , there is ver little activity - I get most of my discussion
        done on Well Trained Mind site. There is another Tanglewood yahoo
        group - but it is not active really either. If you pose a question,
        you will probably get several responses, I always try to answer when
        I can, and there are several others who can give input. I am
        currently schooling a first grader - I really like much of TW
        suggestions, especially in science and nature studies. Let me know
        if you have any specific questions and I will be glad to give my
        opinion for what it's worth :) Anne Marie

        --- In TanglewoodCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle" <eime@n...>
        wrote:

        > Haven't seen any activity for some time.
        >
        > I'm looking at using Tanglewood for my Year 1 ds in about 6 months
        > from now, so I'm trying to get organized and find out more about
        the
        > curriculum, how it works, pros/cons etc.
        >
        > Is there anywhere else to go to find people using this curriculum?
        >
        > I hope this group will continue because the curriculum looks really
        > good and it would be great to share experiences, ideas etc.
        >
        > Blessings,
        > Michelle (in Jerusalem)

      • Michelle
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 25, 2006
          Hi Anne Marie,

          Glad to see someone is still checking this group!
          Here's a couple of questions that I have regarding TW...Do you use
          all the books suggested or do you substitute some with something
          else? Have you used the little phonics/learn to read program that
          is on the site? What age would you recommend starting Year 1? Is
          it like AO where they recommend not starting before age 6. Do you
          follow the Reading Schedule on the website or have you made up your
          own schedule?

          Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to work out what I want
          to do for Year 1 so that I can have friend bring the books I need
          when they visit in March to avoid paying huge postage and customs.

          TIA
          Blessings,
          Michelle (in Jerusalem, Israel)

          --- In TanglewoodCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "mccollumannemarie"
          <ammccollum@c...> wrote:

          > Well - I always check to see if there are any messages - but as
          you
          > can see , there is ver little activity - I get most of my
          discussion
          > done on Well Trained Mind site. There is another Tanglewood yahoo
          > group - but it is not active really either. If you pose a
          question,
          > you will probably get several responses, I always try to answer
          when
          > I can, and there are several others who can give input. I am
          > currently schooling a first grader - I really like much of TW
          > suggestions, especially in science and nature studies. Let me
          know
          > if you have any specific questions and I will be glad to give my
          > opinion for what it's worth :) Anne Marie
          >

          > --- In TanglewoodCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle" <eime@n...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Haven't seen any activity for some time.
          > >
          > > I'm looking at using Tanglewood for my Year 1 ds in about 6
          months
          > > from now, so I'm trying to get organized and find out more about
          > the
          > > curriculum, how it works, pros/cons etc.
          > >
          > > Is there anywhere else to go to find people using this
          curriculum?

          > > I hope this group will continue because the curriculum looks
          really
          > > good and it would be great to share experiences, ideas etc.
          > >
          > > Blessings,
          > > Michelle (in Jerusalem)

        • mccollumannemarie
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 27, 2006
            Do you use
            > all the books suggested or do you substitute some with something
            > else?
            No - I do not follow TW exactly - I use Young Folks Josephus along
            with Story of the World. I do not use all of the fairy tale story
            books - we are doing Greek myths and Brer Rabbit stories mostly.

            Have you used the little phonics/learn to read program that
            > is on the site?
            Tried it - did not stay with it - I taught my son to read with
            explode the code books and some home made flashcards, now we use
            Spell to Write and Read for phonics learning.

            What age would you recommend starting Year 1? Is
            > it like AO where they recommend not starting before age 6.
            I think it is designed as a first grade/ 6 year old plan, that is
            what we have done.

            Do you
            > follow the Reading Schedule on the website or have you made up your
            > own schedule?

            We read at our own pace - since we are also doing Story of the World,
            and I do not realistically see us completely a 4 year history cycle -
            but more of a 6 year cycle.

            For my first grader:

            Josephus
            Childs Story Bible
            Story of the World (we listen to the audio mostly)
            Prima Latina
            Singapore Math
            Spell to Read and Write
            Science - we are really focusing on birds, but we read nature books
            all the time (my son's favorite topic!) We love the Burgess Bird
            Book, and we have several bird id books.

            I have taken my curriculum from a combination of Well Trained Mind,
            Tanglewood, and Highlands Latin School.
            HTH - Anne Marie

          • Michelle
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 27, 2006