To: Anne Marie....

  • Michelle
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2005
      I noticed in your last post you mentioned that you're using SWR this
      year with your son. My dd is 6yo and in 1st grade and I have her in
      Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading. It's a little "youngish"
      for her, but it's doing the job of getting her reading. Now I'm
      re-thinking this.

      Can you give me your insightful opinion about SWR? It looks so
      promising, but honestly I'm intimidated by the amount of prep
      involved. I'm not that disciplined of a person and I'm afraid I would
      drop the ball on this program.

      TIA
    • mccollumannemarie
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2005
        Definitely not an expert! I was sold on it by several from the Well
        Trained Mind Message Board (peer pressure I guess :)- and finally
        decided to get it this August. I really like it, though it
        definitely requires some patience in the beginning. As far as prep
        work, I did very little to prepare myself other than read the first
        few steps, we kind of dove right in. In the back of SWR is a day by
        day plan for the first 5 weeks, and while we moved much slower than
        that, I have followed that order and it made it really fairly simple
        to execute. The main thing is not giving up too soon, and doing it
        in short periods of time. Our schedule now - we spend a minute or
        two going through all the phonogram cards we have learned, review the
        spelling rules, then I dictate 5-10 phonograms for him. Then we do
        spelling words. We never spend more than 20 minutes a day, and we
        don't always do spelling words every day (we do try to always review
        phonograms). I definitely have to do the process with him -
        especially b/c he is not completely confident with all letter
        formations (we decided to try cursive b/c print was sending him into
        orbit - he could not remember where to start a letter, and it was
        painstaking work). But he is doing well, he enjoys the counting
        syllables, he likes the learning log - doesn't always love spelling
        words, but too bad I say :)
        Don't know if this helps, and I couldn't tell you how it compares to
        OPGTR, have never seen it - I actually used Explode the Code Primers -
        Book 2 to get my son reading, and he is a fairly fluent reader, but
        I was worried about his understanding of phonics (he picked up
        reading very naturally and intuitively, with little work on my part,
        and so I wanted to be sure when he got to difficult words he would
        know how to decode). Anyway, I intend to stay with SWR, and plan to
        use it with my 4 year old - she already practices saying the
        phonograms, and since she never learned her letter names at MDO like
        my son, it has been very easy to teach these. I like it b/c I feel I
        will use it for many years. If you really want to hear from the
        experts, go to the Well Trained Mind message board and holler for
        Pensguys and OhElizabeth - both are invaluable resources when looking
        at or trying to begin SWR. HTH Anne Marie

        BTW - so far - Rocksolid Inc had the best price I could find for the
        program

        --- In TanglewoodCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle"