intro

  • Michelle
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 14, 2005
      Hello...my name is Michelle. We have just started the homeschooling
      journey with our 2 children (ds 4.5 and dd 2.5). We are Australians
      living in Israel and want to introduce "school"/learning in a relaxed
      natural way. When I heard about Charlotte Mason, I immediately loved
      her ideas but now need help to get started. I need some structure and
      guidelines because this is all new to me and really have no idea how
      to proceed. Tanglewood and Ambleside online look great but I couldn't
      find any schedules for Kindergarten. They could be there and I just
      haven't found them yet :-) My ds knows all his letters and sounds and
      is starting to sound out 3 letter words. He loves to write his
      letters but doesn't like to do other workbooks. So I'm looking for
      some sort of schedule for Kindergarten to prepare us for either
      Tanglewood or Ambleside or a combination of both for Year 1.
      I look forward to learning alot and hopefully contributing something
      back.

      Blessings,
      Michelle (in Jerusalem, Israel)
    • mccollumannemarie
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 20, 2005
        I don't believe there is any formal plan for K on either site -
        really K is a time when you are just supposed to relax, have fun,
        read a ton of great books, spend lots of time outside, and maybe work
        on reading skills very informally. For us, I used the Sonlight
        Curriculum list of books, read aloud at our own pace. The only
        other "school" we did was phonics - for my son I used the Explode the
        Code books, and am starting my daughter on these now (though we don't
        to the writing, just the letter sound activities). I would keep it
        simple, just spend the year reading to him about a wide variety of
        things (nature, history, fun fiction etc). If he is already sounding
        out 3 letter words, you are well ahead, just work on his reading and
        writing if he likes that (my son hated it, so we just focused on
        reading in K - he is in 1st grade now and finally has the motor
        skills to write without it being a chore, so now we use Spell to
        Write and Read as our phonics program). You could also do some math
        games - counting, adding etc with objects. If I were you, I would
        focus your efforts on planning for first grade, spending time looking
        at the programs you are thinking of using, and trying to determine if
        they will be a good fit for you and your son. There is not a great
        deal of preparation that you need for him to be able to start the
        Ambleside or TW the following year - especially if he is already
        beginning to read. HTH Anne Marie

        --- In TanglewoodCommunity@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle" <eime@n...>