Happy Pride 2005 - Please Forward to Friends & other groups!

  • Bob & Dave Cozzoinger
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2005
      I have had several question me on what does LAMBDA mean?
      Also many of you may not know the History of the RAINBOW FLAG which
      follows.

      LAMBDA AS A SYMBOL OF GAY/LESBIAN RIGHTS

      "The Enclylopedia of Homosexuality has the following entry on LAMBDA:

      In the eary 1970's in the wake of the Stonewall Rebellion, New York
      City's Gay Activist Alliance selected the Greek letter lambda, which
      member Tom Doerr suggested from its scientific use to designate
      Kinetic Potential, as its emblem. (Curiously, in some ancient Greek
      graffiti the capital lambda appear with the meaning "fellate",
      representing the first letter of either "lambazein" or "laikazein.)
      Because of its militant associations,thelambda symbol has spread
      throughout the world. It sometime appears in the form of an amulet
      hung round the neck as a subtle sign of recognition which
      can "pass" among unkowing heterosexuals as a mere ornament. Such
      emblems may reflet a tendency among homosexuals
      toward "tribalization" as a distinct segment of society, one
      conceived as a quasi-ethnic group.

      In "More Man Than You'll Ever Be" by Joseph P. Goodwin (Indiana
      University Press:Bloomington, 1989) on page 26, Goodwin writes:
      The lowercase Greek letter lambda carries several meanings. First
      of
      all,it represents scales, and thus balance. The Greeks considered
      balance to be the constant adjustment necessary to keep opposing
      forces from overcoming each other. The hook at the bottom of the
      right leg of the lambda represents the action required to reach and
      maintin a balance. To the Spartans, the lambda meant unity. They
      felt that society should never infringe on anyones individuality and
      freedom. The Romans adopted the letter to represent "the light of
      knowledge shed into the darkness of ignorance." Finally, in physics
      the symbol designates an energy change.
      Thus the lambda, with all its meanings, is an especially apt symbol
      for the gay liberation movement, which energetically seeks a balance
      in society and which strives through enlightenment to secure equal
      rights for homosexualpeople.

      HISTORY OF THE RAINBOW FLAG

      Gilbert Baker, a San Francisco artist, designed the first Rainbow
      flag in 1978, He created the flag in response to a local activist's
      call for the need of a community symbol. Baker designed a flag with
      eight stripes: pink,red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and
      violet. According to Baker, those colors represented, respectively:
      sexuality, life, healing,sun,nature, art, harmony and spirit. Baker
      dyed and sewed the material for the first flag himself, in the true
      spirit of Betsy Ross. Baker soon was approached San Francisco's
      Paramount Flag Company about mass producing and selling his
      "gay flag". Unfortunately, Baker had hand-dyed all the colors and
      since the color "hot pink" was not commericially available, mass
      production of his eight-stripe version became impossible. The flag
      was thus reduced to seven strips.

      In November 1978, San Francisco's gay community was stunned when the
      city's first openly gay supervisor, Harvy Milk, was assasinated.
      Wishing to demonstrate the gay community's strength and solidarity
      in
      the aftermath of this tragedy, the 1979 SF Pride Parade Committee
      decided to use Baker's flag. The committee eliminated the indigo
      stripe so they could divide the colors evenly aong the parade route -

      three colors on one side of the street and three on the other. Soon
      the six colors were incorporated into a six striped version that
      became popularized, and that today is recognized by the
      International
      Congress of Flag Makers.

      Both of these emblems are used on our over 500 LAMBDA RAINBOW
      NETWORK sites...in Cities, States, Provinces, Territories, Countries
      and Continents as we form a More Sincere, Welcoming, Loving,
      Inclusive and *FREE* ...

      L A M B D A - R A I N B O W - FAMILY & COMMUNITY

      W O R L D - W I D E - with YOUR Help & Support!

      We hope that - ALL GLBT GROUPS - will post their - NEWS, ACTIVITIES
      &
      EVENTS - to our LAMBDA RAINBOW NETWORK and our many Chapter Group
      sites in YOUR LOCAL City, State or Territory sites.

      State

      The LATEST in GLBT NEWS from Many Sources...

      For further info - and/or to volunteer to - JOIN OUR TEAM - as a
      Moderator, Editor, Featured Writer, Columnist, Host, Coordinator
      etc. - PLEASE CONTACT US....

      OOOOXXXX Bob & Dave Cozzoinger@...(comcast.net)
      Long-Term Partners, Parents of a Bi Son and Founders of ....

      LAMBDA-RAINBOW-NETWORK@yahoogroups.com

      Lambda-Group@... (comcast.net)
      LambdaGroup@... (msn.com)
      Lambda.Rainbow@... (gmail.com)

      HAVE A COMPLETE MEMBERSHIP PROFILE ON JOINING!
      YOU WISH TO KNOW ABOUT OTHERS - OTHERS WISH TO KNOW MORE ABOUT YOU!
      Place YOUR info, stats, interest in our DATABASE!