File - 05 BOCC Transcript on HRO

  • TampaGLCoupleslooking2MarryandAdopt@yaho
    Message 1 of 48 , Jan 1, 2007
      >>PAT BEAN: F-2 IS A REQUEST THAT CAME IN THROUGH THE
      BOARD'S CHAIRMAN'S OFFICE.
      >>JIM NORMAN: OKAY.
      COMMISSIONER CASTOR.
      >>KATHY CASTOR: YES, BOARD MEMBERS.
      YOU KNOW THAT OUR HUMAN RIGHTS ORDINANCE PROHIBITS
      DISCRIMINATION IN EMPLOYMENT, IN PUBLIC ACCOMMODATIONS, IN
      REAL ESTATE TRANSACTIONS, COUNTY CONTRACTING, AND
      PROCUREMENT.
      IT'S OUR EQUAL RIGHTS ORDINANCE, AND IT PROHIBITS
      DISCRIMINATION BASED UPON RACE, COLOR, SEX, AGE, NATIONAL
      ORIGIN, RELIGION, DISABILITY, OR MARITAL STATUS.
      IT USED TO SAY SEXUAL ORIENTATION AS WELL, AND THAT WAS
      AMENDED OUT OF THE ORDINANCE SOME YEARS AGO, AND I DON'T
      THINK THE BOARD SHOULD LET THIS OPPORTUNITY PASS.
      WE HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY HERE TODAY TO BACK UP YOUR WORD.
      SOME OF YOU SAID OUR -- THE CONTROVERSIAL ISSUE SOME MONTHS
      AGO DIDN'T IMPLY ANY DISCRIMINATORY INTENT.
      HERE'S AN OPPORTUNITY -- WE SHOULDN'T LET IT PASS -- TO
      REPAIR THE DAMAGE TO THE COUNTY'S REPUTATION AND OUR SENSE
      OF COMMUNITY, AND IT'S SIMPLE.
      DISCRIMINATION IS WRONG IN WHATEVER FORM, SO I MOVE THAT WE
      FOLLOW THE RECOMMENDATION OF THE HUMAN RELATIONS BOARD.
      >>JIM NORMAN: IS THERE A SECOND?
      COMMISSIONER STORMS.
      >>RONDA STORMS: I WAS A PART OF THOSE -- OF THAT VERY
      PUBLIC AND VERY, VERY DIFFICULT DEBATE, AND THIS ISSUE IS
      CONTINUALLY COMING BEFORE US.
      THE BOARD IS -- IS -- HAS TO DEAL WITH THIS AND PUT THIS
      AWAY, EITHER DEAL WITH IT OR NOT DEAL WITH IT, AND SO THE
      BOARD HAS DEALT DEFINITIVELY WITH IT A LONG, LONG TIME AGO.
      I DON'T THINK IT'S APPROPRIATE FOR US TO CONTINUALLY BE
      BRINGING THESE MATTERS BEFORE US.
      THEREFORE, I MOVE WE DIRECT THE COUNTY ADMINISTRATOR TO
      TAKE NO ACTION ON THIS SUBJECT AND THAT THE MATTER MAY NOT
      BE RECONSIDERED BY THIS BOARD EXCEPT BY SUPERMAJORITY TO
      MOVE THE ITEM TO REFERENDUM.
      >>JIM NORMAN: IS THERE A SECOND?
      IS THERE A SECOND?
      SECOND.
      >>KEN HAGAN: THERE'S A MOTION ON THE FLOOR BY COMMISSIONER
      STORMS, SECONDED BY COMMISSIONER NORMAN.
      COMMISSIONER CASTOR.
      >>KATHY CASTOR: I'D LIKE THE COUNTY ATTORNEY TO -- TO
      EXPLAIN THE IMPORT OF THAT MOTION, AND WOULDN'T THE BOARD
      HAVE THE ABILITY IN THE FUTURE TO -- TO PASS A SIMPLE
      MAJORITY MOTION TO -- TO ADDRESS THAT?
      >>RENEE LEE: COMMISSIONER, YOU'RE -- LET ME UNDERSTAND
      YOUR QUESTION.
      THE MOTION ON THE FLOOR IS TO SAY THAT THIS TOPIC CAN ONLY
      BE TAKEN UP AGAIN BY SUPERMAJORITY VOTE AND --
      >>RONDA STORMS: TO MOVE THE ITEM TO REFERENDUM.
      >>RENEE LEE: TO MOVE THE ITEM TO REFERENDUM ONLY BY
      SUPERMAJORITY VOTE, AND IT WOULD TAKE A MAJORITY -- A
      SIMPLE MAJORITY OF THE BOARD TO OVERTURN THAT MOTION?
      THAT'S A GOOD QUESTION.
      BUT I BELIEVE THAT IT WOULD JUST TAKE A SIMPLE MAJORITY OF
      THE BOARD TO OVERTURN THE MOTION, THAT THIS WOULD BE A
      SUPERMAJORITY TO PUT IT TO REFERENDUM.
      >>KATHY CASTOR: THEN, BOARD MEMBERS, I WOULD SAY IF YOU'RE
      NOT GOING TO AMEND THE HUMAN RIGHTS ORDINANCE, DON'T BE
      MEAN SPIRITED AGAIN AND CREATE ADDITIONAL CONTROVERSY AND
      DISCORD IN THE COMMUNITY BY DOING IT.
      >>KEN HAGAN: IF THERE ARE NO FURTHER COMMENTS, PLEASE
      RECORD YOUR VOTE.
      >>RECORDING SECRETARY: THE MOTION CARRIED 5-2.
      COMMISSIONERS CASTOR AND SCOTT VOTED NO.
      >>JIM NORMAN: OKAY.
      >>PAT BEAN: MR. CHAIR, I THINK YOU CAN PASS A MOTION, IF
      YOU WOULD, THEN, ON DEFERRAL FOR F-1, F-6, G-3, G-4, AND G-
      5.
      >>JIM NORMAN: TO CONTINUE.
      IS THERE A SECOND?
      >> SECOND.
      >>JIM NORMAN: PLEASE RECORD YOUR VOTE.
      >>RECORDING SECRETARY: COMMISSIONERS CASTOR, SCOTT, AND
      SHARPE.
      THE MOTION CARRIED 7-0.
      >>JIM NORMAN: OKAY.
      AT THIS TIME, WE HAVE THE END-OF-THE-DAY PUBLIC COMMENT.
      IS THERE ANYONE TODAY WANTING TO SPEAK TO THE BOARD?
      YES, MA'AM.
      >> REVEREND PHYLLIS HUNT, METROPOLITAN CHURCH, AT 408 EAST
      CAYUGA.
      I AM -- I AM OUTRAGED, I AM EMBARRASSED.
      I HAVE SAT HERE ALL DAY WATCHING YOU ALL DO YOUR BICKERING
      BACK AND FORTH, DEMANDING EACH OTHER RESPOND TO ISSUES THAT
      YOU DON'T LIKE.
      EVERY SINGLE TIME THERE'S PUBLIC COMMENT OR ANY KIND OF
      PUBLIC VOICE WELCOME, YOU GET BUSY, YOU GET UP, YOU LEAVE
      THE ROOM, YOU GO AND TALK TO PEOPLE, YOU DON'T LISTEN TO
      THE HEARTS AND THE COURAGE THAT IT TAKES TO COME TO THIS
      MICROPHONE AND SPEAK TO YOU.
      PLEASE STOP AND GIVE ME MY THREE MINUTES.
      WE HAVE -- YOU HAVE SAID THAT PROMOTING GAY PRIDE IS NOT A
      HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY TAXPAYER POSITION.
      WE DIDN'T LIKE IT.
      WE SPOKE OUT AGAINST IT.
      WE RESPECTED YOUR OPINION, AND YOU DID NOT LISTEN TO US.
      WE HAVE ASKED FOR PROTECTION, WE HAVE ASKED YOU TO INCLUDE
      SEXUAL ORIENTATION IN -- IN THIS ORDINANCE, AND YOU
      CONTINUE TO NOT SEE THIS AS IMPORTANT.
      WHAT IS IT GOING TO TAKE, SOMEBODY TO BE KILLED, SOMEBODY
      TO SUFFER, SOMEBODY TO EXPERIENCE THE FEAR OF -- OF ANOTHER
      PERSON'S PRIVILEGE BECAUSE WE'RE NOT PROTECTED?
      I DON'T GET IT.
      YOU WERE PUT IN THIS POSITION TO NOT ONLY DO NO HARM BUT TO
      DO GOOD FOR ALL PEOPLE.
      THIS WAS A SIMPLE ACT, AN OPPORTUNITY FOR YOU TO -- TO SAY
      ALL PEOPLE MATTER, ALL PEOPLE HAVE VALUE.
      LET ME JUST ASK YOU THIS.
      IF YOU WERE ONE OF THE VICTIMS OF HURRICANE KATRINA AND A
      HELICOPTER CAME TO PULL YOU OUT OF YOUR HOUSE, WOULD IT
      MATTER TO YOU WHAT THEIR SEXUAL ORIENTATION WAS OR WHAT
      THEY DID IN THE PRIVACY OF THEIR OWN HOME, OR WOULD SAFETY
      COME FIRST?
      WHY DOESN'T SAFETY MATTER FOR ALL PEOPLE?
      SHAME ON YOU.
      SHAME ON YOU.
      AND THANK YOU -- THANK YOU, KATHY, FOR AT LEAST MAKING THE
      EFFORT TO MAKE THIS A SAFER PLACE FOR EVERYONE WHO CARES
      ABOUT HUMANITY.
      >>JIM NORMAN: THANK YOU.
      NEXT, PLEASE.
      ANYONE ELSE?
      OKAY.
      >> ROBERT, "THE REBEL," WIRENGARD.
      I CAN'T RESIST WHAT SHE JUST SPOKE ABOUT.
      THE ISSUE AT HAND WAS NOT PROMOTION OF SOMEONE'S SEXUALITY,
      IT IS RECOGNITION THAT THERE ARE GOOD PEOPLE IN THE GAY
      COMMUNITY THAT -- THAT -- THAT CAN WRITE AND BE GREAT
      LITERARY AUTHORS.
      IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH PROMOTING A LIFESTYLE.
      IT JUST SAYS, YOU KNOW, THESE PEOPLE ARE GOOD TOO.
      BUT EVERYTHING BROUGHT FORTH IN THIS HEALTH CARE PLAN IS
      NULL AND VOID THAT HAS BEEN TRANSPIRING HERE BECAUSE THEY
      AND YOU HAVE NOT ADDRESSED MY HEALTH CARE PROPOSAL.
      INSTEAD, THEY HAVE HAD PROPAGANDA ABOUT BEING A, QUOTE,
      MODEL TO THE COUNTRY WHEN ABSOLUTELY IT'S JUST A REPLICA
      RIP-OFF OF THE 3-M MODELS, EXCEPT IT IS WORSE AND PAYS THE
      PROVIDERS EVEN LESS THAN THE 3-Ms DO.
      YOUR STAFF OR DAVID ROGOFF HAS BEEN AVOIDING, EVASIVE, AND
      IGNORANT OF THE PLAN, ONE, THE EXISTING, QUOTE, MODEL,
      WHICH ENSURES THAT 15 MILLION IN WASTED HALF CENT TO KEEP
      THE NECESSARY HEALTH CARE STAFF PAID.
      ALONG WITH THE -- THEY HAVE GONE SO FAR AS TO REFUSE, NOT
      EVEN ANSWER, AN INVITATION TO SIT DOWN WITH ME AND IRON
      WORKERS IN SEFFNER TO DISCUSS THE POSSIBILITIES OF A JOINT
      PLAN THAT PARTNERS WITH THE COMMUNITY, AND YOU, JIM NORMAN,
      YOU WERE IN CONTACT WITH ED DEES, BUSINESS MANAGER, OF
      THOSE IRON WORKERS IN SEFFNER TO SAY BEHIND MY BACK THAT
      THE COUNTY IS NOT, QUOTE, RECEPTIVE TO MY PLAN.
      WHY IS THAT?
      WHY ARE YOU NOT AS RECEPTIVE TO THE PLAN?
      YOU MAY TAKE 30 SECONDS OF MY PRECIOUS TIME AND ANSWER ME.
      >>JIM NORMAN: IT'S NOT TRUE.
      >> YOU ARE RECEPTIVE TO THE PLAN?
      >>JIM NORMAN: NO, I DID NOT SAY THAT TO MR. DEES OR ANYONE
      OVER THERE, SO SORRY.
      >> WHY ARE YOU NOT RECEPTIVE TO IT.
      >>JIM NORMAN: SIR, YOU HEARD MY COMMENTS.
      YOUR STATEMENT WAS UNTRUE.
      >> WELL, SOMEONE IS NOT BEING HONEST.
      BUT YOUR STAFF AND YOU RESPECTIVELY HAVE ONLY ONE RATIONAL
      REASON EACH FOR EVADING MY PROPOSAL.
      YOURS IS THAT YOU GET CAMPAIGN FUNDS FROM PRIVATEERS AND
      SPECIAL INTERESTS IN HEALTH CARE, SUCH AS INSURANCE FIRMS
      AND TGH TOO, AND THAT'S WHY YOU FIND IT NECESSARY TO TRY TO
      SABOTAGE MY PROGRAM, TO BE THE POINT MAN, THAT VERY TINY
      PRICK THAT BURSTS INTO ANY BUBBLE OF A GRASS-ROOTS MOVEMENT
      THAT I MIGHT MUSTER.
      JUST AS CHRIST SAID, IF YOUR HAND CAUSES YOU TO FALL, CUT
      IT OFF, SO SHOULD YOU RESIGN YOUR POSITIONS ON THIS BOARD
      IF YOU'RE NOT REPRESENTING US, THE PEOPLE, BUT REPRESENTING
      ONLY THE SPECIAL INTERESTS THAT CONTRIBUTE TO YOUR
      CAMPAIGNS.
      DR. WARREN CLARK SPOKE HIGHLY OF THE PLAN, BUT IT WAS CLEAR
      THAT USF DID NOT PROVIDE AN EMPLOYEE WITH HEALTH CARE
      COVERAGE.
      IT'S USF'S RESPONSIBILITY TO PAY FOR HEALTH CARE FOR ITS
      EMPLOYEES, EVEN IF THIS COMES DOWN TO CONTRIBUTING 10% TO
      THE COUNTY PROGRAM.
      THEY SHOULD, WAL-MART SHOULD, PUBLIX SHOULD, EVERYONE
      SHOULD.
      >>JIM NORMAN: THANK YOU VERY MUCH, SIR.
      ANYONE ELSE?
      >> COMMISSIONERS, I JUST WANTS TO TAKE A QUICK MOMENT TO --
      TO ADDRESS THE HYPOCRISY OF WHAT YOU JUST DID WITH ITEM F-
      2, AND I'M REALLY ADDRESSING ALL OF THE COMMISSIONERS.
      I APPRECIATE YOUR VOTE, COMMISSIONER CASTOR AND
      COMMISSIONER SCOTT.
      YOU -- COMMISSIONER SCOTT -- SORRY.
      A NUMBER OF COMMISSIONERS HAVE SAID SINCE THE JUNE 15th
      VOTE THAT THIS WAS NOT ABOUT DISCRIMINATION, THAT THIS WAS
      A VOTE, BOTH A FISCAL VOTE AND A VOTE AGAINST PROMOTION.
      HOWEVER, TODAY'S VOTE CERTAINLY EXPOSES THE HYPOCRISY OF
      THOSE STATEMENTS WITH THE EXCEPTION OF COMMISSIONER SCOTT.
      TO SAY THAT THIS BOARD HAD MADE THIS DECISION AND THEREFORE
      REQUIRE A SUPERMAJORITY TO REVISIT IT IS UTTERLY
      RIDICULOUS.
      COMMISSIONER STORMS SPEARHEADED THE EFFORT IN '95 TO PUT
      THIS -- THIS ISSUE IN FRONT OF THIS BOARD AGAIN.
      IT HAD BEEN DECIDED.
      THE BOARD HAD PUT IT ON -- ADDED SEXUAL ORIENTATION TO THE
      HUMAN RIGHTS ORDINANCE OF HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY.
      IT WAS REVISITED.
      THE HYPOCRISY TO SAY THIS BOARD HAS MADE THIS DECISION AND
      WE SHOULD NEVER REVIEW IT AGAIN EXCEPT BY SUPERMAJORITY IS
      UTTERLY RIDICULOUS.
      I HOPE THAT THE ENTIRE COMMUNITY SEES THE HYPOCRISY OF THIS
      BOARD.
      AND I'LL SAY ONE MORE THING.
      AS A RESULT OF THAT EFFORT ALMOST TEN YEARS AGO, EQUALITY
      FLORIDA WAS BORN OUT OF THAT EFFORT, AND IT HAS BECOME THIS
      DAY ONE OF THE STRONGEST STATEWIDE ORGANIZATIONS IN THIS
      NATION, FIGHTING FOR THE RIGHTS OF LESBIAN, GAY, BISEXUAL,
      TRANSGENDER HUMAN BEINGS, AND I HOPE THAT OUT OF THE
      DESPICABLE ACTS OF THIS BOARD ON JUNE 15th, THAT SOME
      EQUALLY GOOD REACTION CAN COME OUT OF IT.
      THANK YOU, COMMISSIONERS.
      >>RECORDING SECRETARY: I NEED HIS NAME FOR THE RECORD.
      >>JIM NORMAN: SIR, I NEED YOUR NAME FOR THE RECORD.
      >> SORRY.
      APOLOGIZE.
      BRIAN WINFIELD.
      >>JIM NORMAN: LET ME SAY, I WAS ON THE BOARD THEN.
      COMMISSIONER STORMS WAS AN ACTIVIST IN THE COMMUNITY AND
      WAS WORKING VERY HARD.
      SHE DID NOT SERVE ON THE BOARD THEN, DID NOT TAKE ANY
      ACTION THAT DAY.
      I WAS CHAIRMAN THEN, SO I KNOW -- I KNOW THE DETAILS OF
      THAT DAY, AND COMMISSIONER STORMS -- TO BLAME HER FOR THOSE
      ACTIONS -- SHE IS A COMMUNITY ACTIVIST, AND SHE WAS ABLE TO
      WORK JUST LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE ON THEIR CAUSES.
      SO FOR WHATEVER IT'S WORTH, I WAS THERE.
      I KNOW THAT.
      >> ABSOLUTELY.
      SIR, SHE WAS A COMMUNITY ACTIVIST WHO WAS BRINGING AN
      EFFORT IN FRONT OF THE BOARD THAT HAD ALREADY BEEN DECIDED.
      >>JIM NORMAN: NO, SIR.
      NO, SIR.
      SHE DID NOT PERSONALLY BRING THE EFFORT BEFORE THIS BOARD.
      OUR BOARD HAD DISCUSSIONS.
      I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW CHAIRMAN STORMS THEN, AND I WAS CHAIRMAN
      OF THE COUNTY COMMISSION.
      >> SHE WAS A COMMUNITY ACTIVIST WHO SPEARHEADED THIS TO
      BRING IT IN FRONT OF THE BOARD AGAIN.
      >>JIM NORMAN: THAT WAS IN THE NEWSPAPER, SIR.
      I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHO COMMISSIONER STORMS WAS OTHER THAN
      SHE WAS AN ACTIVIST IN THE COMMUNITY.
      I NEED TO SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT BECAUSE I WAS CHAIRMAN
      THEN.
      I'LL ALLOW YOU 30 SECONDS BECAUSE --
      >> YOU VOTED TODAY FOR A SUPERMAJORITY TO SUPPORT A MOTION
      THAT SAYS THIS BOARD HAD ALREADY CONSIDERED THIS ISSUE,
      THIS HAS GOTTA -- THIS HAS GOTTA STOP, LET'S JUST PUT AN
      END TO IT BY BRINGING A SUPERMAJORITY, YET YOU WERE ON THE
      BOARD -- WHEN YOU REVISED THIS IN '95, IT HAD BEEN DECIDED,
      THEY ADDED SEXUAL ORIENTATION, BUT BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T LIKE
      IT, IT WAS OKAY TO BRING IT BACK BEFORE THE BOARD.
      BUT TODAY, BECAUSE IT'S THE WAY YOU WANT IT, YOU WANT TO
      CEMENT IT IN STONE.
      IS THAT RIGHT?
      >>JIM NORMAN: THIS IS THE LAST COMMENT ON THE QUESTION.
      WE KEEP PUTTING LETTERS FOR RESPONSE ON OUR AGENDA, AND
      THAT WAS -- THE COMMENT IS IF A BOARD MEMBER WANTS TO
      INTRODUCE THAT AND TRY, BUT WE KEEP GETTING LETTERS TO --
      FOR RECONSIDERATION OF THIS, THIS, AND THIS, AND EVERY TIME
      IT'S A BOARD ISSUE.
      WHAT WAS BEING SPOKEN TO TODAY IS THAT IT CAN'T COME UP
      EVERY WEEK.
      THAT'S WHAT'S BEEN GOING ON.
      SO ANYWAY, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR PUBLIC COMMENT.
      COMMISSIONER SCOTT.
      >>THOMAS SCOTT: YEAH.
      MR. CHAIRMAN AND TO THE BOARD MEMBERS, I DON'T WANT ANYONE
      TO MISCONSTRUE MY VOTE WHETHER I'M IN SUPPORT OR IN
      OPPOSITION.
      I WILL SAY THAT WHAT MY VOTE REPRESENTS TODAY WAS I HAD A
      REAL ISSUE WITH MAKING IT HARD FOR PEOPLE TO BE ABLE TO
      DISCUSS THE ISSUE ON A FUTURE BOARD.
      I BELIEVE -- I BELIEVE THAT PEOPLE -- THAT FUTURE BOARDS
      SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE ABLE TO COME AND DISCUSS THE
      ISSUE WHETHER THEY VOTE IT UP OR DOWN, AND I JUST WANT THAT
      TO BE ON THE RECORD.
      I THINK THAT'S VERY CLEAR NOW, AND I THINK THE MOTION TODAY
      MAKES IT VERY DIFFICULT FOR FUTURE BOARDS TO REALLY ADDRESS
      THE ISSUE.

      1
    • TampaGLCoupleslooking2MarryandAdopt@yaho
      Message 48 of 48 , Jan 14, 2007
> [...]
        SUPERMAJORITY VOTE, AND IT WOULD TAKE A MAJORITY -- A
        SIMPLE MAJORITY OF THE BOARD TO OVERTURN THAT MOTION?
        THAT'S A GOOD QUESTION.
        BUT I BELIEVE THAT IT WOULD JUST TAKE A SIMPLE MAJORITY OF
        THE BOARD TO OVERTURN THE MOTION, THAT THIS WOULD BE A
        SUPERMAJORITY TO PUT IT TO REFERENDUM.
        >>KATHY CASTOR: THEN, BOARD MEMBERS, I WOULD SAY IF YOU'RE
        NOT GOING TO AMEND THE HUMAN RIGHTS ORDINANCE, DON'T BE
        MEAN SPIRITED AGAIN AND CREATE ADDITIONAL CONTROVERSY AND
        DISCORD IN THE COMMUNITY BY DOING IT.
        >>KEN HAGAN: IF THERE ARE NO FURTHER COMMENTS, PLEASE
        RECORD YOUR VOTE.
        >>RECORDING SECRETARY: THE MOTION CARRIED 5-2.
        COMMISSIONERS CASTOR AND SCOTT VOTED NO.
        >>JIM NORMAN: OKAY.
        >>PAT BEAN: MR. CHAIR, I THINK YOU CAN PASS A MOTION, IF
        YOU WOULD, THEN, ON DEFERRAL FOR F-1, F-6, G-3, G-4, AND G-
        IS THERE A SECOND?
        >> SECOND.
        >>JIM NORMAN: PLEASE RECORD YOUR VOTE.
        >>RECORDING SECRETARY: COMMISSIONERS CASTOR, SCOTT, AND
        SHARPE.
        THE MOTION CARRIED 7-0.
        >>JIM NORMAN: OKAY.
        AT THIS TIME, WE HAVE THE END-OF-THE-DAY PUBLIC COMMENT.
        IS THERE ANYONE TODAY WANTING TO SPEAK TO THE BOARD?
        YES, MA'AM.
        >> REVEREND PHYLLIS HUNT, METROPOLITAN CHURCH, AT 408 EAST
        CAYUGA.
        I AM -- I AM OUTRAGED, I AM EMBARRASSED.
        I HAVE SAT HERE ALL DAY WATCHING YOU ALL DO YOUR BICKERING
        BACK AND FORTH, DEMANDING EACH OTHER RESPOND TO ISSUES THAT
        YOU DON'T LIKE.
        EVERY SINGLE TIME THERE'S PUBLIC COMMENT OR ANY KIND OF
        PUBLIC VOICE WELCOME, YOU GET BUSY, YOU GET UP, YOU LEAVE
        THE ROOM, YOU GO AND TALK TO PEOPLE, YOU DON'T LISTEN TO
        THE HEARTS AND THE COURAGE THAT IT TAKES TO COME TO THIS
        MICROPHONE AND SPEAK TO YOU.
        PLEASE STOP AND GIVE ME MY THREE MINUTES.
        WE HAVE -- YOU HAVE SAID THAT PROMOTING GAY PRIDE IS NOT A
        HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY TAXPAYER POSITION.
        WE DIDN'T LIKE IT.
        WE SPOKE OUT AGAINST IT.
        WE RESPECTED YOUR OPINION, AND YOU DID NOT LISTEN TO US.
        WE HAVE ASKED FOR PROTECTION, WE HAVE ASKED YOU TO INCLUDE
        SEXUAL ORIENTATION IN -- IN THIS ORDINANCE, AND YOU
        CONTINUE TO NOT SEE THIS AS IMPORTANT.
        WHAT IS IT GOING TO TAKE, SOMEBODY TO BE KILLED, SOMEBODY
        TO SUFFER, SOMEBODY TO EXPERIENCE THE FEAR OF -- OF ANOTHER
        PERSON'S PRIVILEGE BECAUSE WE'RE NOT PROTECTED?
        I DON'T GET IT.
        YOU WERE PUT IN THIS POSITION TO NOT ONLY DO NO HARM BUT TO
        DO GOOD FOR ALL PEOPLE.
        THIS WAS A SIMPLE ACT, AN OPPORTUNITY FOR YOU TO -- TO SAY
        ALL PEOPLE MATTER, ALL PEOPLE HAVE VALUE.
        LET ME JUST ASK YOU THIS.
        IF YOU WERE ONE OF THE VICTIMS OF HURRICANE KATRINA AND A
        HELICOPTER CAME TO PULL YOU OUT OF YOUR HOUSE, WOULD IT
        MATTER TO YOU WHAT THEIR SEXUAL ORIENTATION WAS OR WHAT
        THEY DID IN THE PRIVACY OF THEIR OWN HOME, OR WOULD SAFETY
        COME FIRST?
        WHY DOESN'T SAFETY MATTER FOR ALL PEOPLE?
        SHAME ON YOU.
        SHAME ON YOU.
        AND THANK YOU -- THANK YOU, KATHY, FOR AT LEAST MAKING THE
        EFFORT TO MAKE THIS A SAFER PLACE FOR EVERYONE WHO CARES
        ABOUT HUMANITY.
        >>JIM NORMAN: THANK YOU.
        NEXT, PLEASE.
        ANYONE ELSE?