File - OCTOBER 20, 2005 BOCC TOWN HALL MEETING

  • TampaGLCoupleslooking2MarryandAdopt@yaho
    Message 1 of 47 , Mar 1, 2006
      OCTOBER 20, 2005 BOCC TOWN HALL MEETING
      [url=http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/htv/caption/scripts/th051020.txt%5dComplete
      transcript/captioning[/url]
      CAPTIONING

      (This is edited to focus on issues pertinent to Brandon Equality
      Florida Meetup Group.)

      >>JIM NORMAN: DONNA CHAPEL, TERRY KEMPLE.
      DONNA.

      . . .
      >> I ALSO WANTED TO THANK OUR COUNTY COMMISSION FOR HAVING
      THE COURAGE TO GO AGAINST THE FLOW IN REPRESENTING PEOPLE
      WHO DON'T NECESSARILY AGREE WITH GOVERNMENT SUPPORT OF
      SPECIAL CAUSES SUCH AS THE HOMOSEXUAL RIGHTS AND --
      [APPLAUSE]
      I KNOW THIS HASN'T MADE YOU-ALL THE MOST POPULAR ACROSS THE
      BOARD IN AMERICA, BUT I TRAVEL AROUND THE WORLD QUITE A
      BIT, AND I CAN TELL YOU FROM -- FROM EUROPE TO SPANISH-
      SPEAKING COUNTRIES AROUND THE WORLD, THIS HAS BROUGHT A LOT
      OF HOPE AND COURAGE TO PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN TEETERING, AND
      THEY WANTED TO MAKE A STAND AND DIDN'T KNOW IF THEY COULD
      MAKE A LEAP.
      IT FELT LIKE A LEAP TO THEM.
      AND YOU'VE SET A HIGH WATER MARK FOR OTHERS TO FOLLOW, SO
      I'M VERY PROUD TO TELL PEOPLE THAT I'M FROM HILLSBOROUGH
      COUNTY BECAUSE OF THE COURAGE THAT YOU'VE SHOWN.
      [APPLAUSE]

      . . .

      >>JIM NORMAN: TERRY KEMPLE.
      >> THANK YOU.
      MY NAME'S TERRY KEMPLE.
      I LIVE IN BRANDON.
      I'M ON THE BOARD OF A LOCAL ORGANIZATION, COMMUNITY ACTION
      SUMMIT, AND WE'RE DOING WHAT WE CAN TO RETURN OUR AREA TO
      THE JUDEO CHRISTIAN VALUES THAT HAVE MADE AMERICA GREAT.
      I WANT TO SAY THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING NOT TO SPEND OUR TAX
      DOLLARS PROMOTING ORGANIZATIONS THAT ARE TRYING TO SEDUCE
      OUR YOUNG PEOPLE INTO EXPERIMENTING WITH HOMOSEXUAL SEX
      DURING THE GAY PRIDE EVENTS.
      GLSEN, THE GAY, LESBIAN, STRAIGHT EDUCATION NETWORK IS ONE
      OF THOSE ORGANIZATIONS.
      GLSEN INITIATED THE GAY/STRAIGHT ALLIANCE CLUBS IN OUR
      SCHOOL.
      THEY SAY THAT GAY/STRAIGHT ALLIANCES ARE TO PROMOTE
      TOLERANCE.
      SIX OR SEVEN HIGH SCHOOLS IN HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY ARE LISTED
      ON GLSEN'S WEB SITE AS PART OF THE ALLIANCE.
      THEY'RE THE KIND OF ORGANIZATION THAT GETS PROMOTED IN
      GREAT GAY PRIDE EVENTS.
      I DON'T REALLY LIKE READING THIS, BUT THIS IS A SYNOPSIS OF
      A FEW OF THE BOOKS FROM THE 7th- TO 12th-GRADE RECOMMENDED
      READING LIST ON THE GLSEN WEB SITE.
      THIS IS WHAT THEY'RE TELLING OUR CHILDREN THAT THEY SHOULD
      READ.
      HERE'S A DESCRIPTION OF "RAINBOW BOYS."
      THREE TEEN BOYS ARE FEATURED AS THEY EXPLORE HOMOSEXUAL
      RELATIONSHIPS WITH EACH OTHER AND OTHERS.
      BESIDES NUMEROUS GRAPHIC SCENES OF SEX BETWEEN HOMOSEXUAL
      TEEN BOYS AND A BISEXUAL BOY AND HIS GIRLFRIEND, A 29-YEAR-
      OLD MAN MEETS A 17-YEAR-OLD BOY IN AN ON-LINE CHATROOM.
      THEY EVENTUALLY GO ON A DATE, WHERE THE READERS ARE TREATED
      TO AN EXPLICIT SEX SCENE INVOLVING INTERCOURSE WITHOUT A
      CONDOM.
      THIS TAKES PLACE IN THE APARTMENT OF THE ADULT MAN,
      CHEATING ON HIS LIVE-IN LOVER, WHO IS OUT OF TOWN.
      THE YOUNGER BOY IS THEN WORRIED ABOUT HIV, BUT TESTS
      NEGATIVE.
      AS THE BOOK CLOSES, THIS SAME BOY BEGINS A RELATIONSHIP
      WITH A 19-YEAR-OLD COLLEGE STUDENT WHO'S HIV POSITIVE.
      I'VE GOT MORE, BUT I DON'T WANT TO READ THEM.
      IT REALLY UPSETS ME.
      IT UPSETS MY STOMACH.
      THIS IS ONE OF THE ORGANIZATIONS THAT'S PROMOTED DURING GAY
      PRIDE WEEK.
      I THANK YOU FOR NOT USING MY TAX DOLLARS TO PROMOTE THIS.
      [APPLAUSE]
      >>JIM NORMAN: THANK YOU-ALL.
      [APPLAUSE]
      . . .
      >>JIM NORMAN: GARY NOONAN, JIM CLEMENTS, AND ADVANCE
      HAMILTON.
      WELCOME, SIR.
      >> YES.
      I'D LIKE TO THANK THE COMMISSION TONIGHT.
      I AM GARY NOONAN.
      I'M FROM DOVER.
      I HAVE TWO TEENAGE BOYS THAT GO TO DURANT, SO I'M HERE ON
      BEHALF OF THEM AND -- AND ALL OF OUR OTHER CHILDREN.
      I AGREE WITH TERRY ABOUT THE HOMOSEXUAL PROBLEM THAT WE'RE
      HAVING HERE, AND I WANT TO THANK EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU
      THAT'S HERE, BECAUSE I KNOW HOW YOU VOTED, AND YOU VOTED
      AGAINST THE -- PROMOTING OF THE GAY PRIDE ISSUE, AND I
      THANK YOU FOR THAT.
      THE ONLY VOTE THAT WENT THE OTHER WAY IS NOT HERE THIS
      EVENING.
      I WOULD LIKE TO -- TO ALSO ASK YOU-ALL TO -- AND I KNOW
      YOU'VE ALREADY HEARD THIS, BUT TO BE PREPARED TO MAKE
      DECISIONS ON GSA.
      AS TERRY SAID, IT'S AN ORGANIZATION THAT'S TRYING TO
      INFILTRATE OUR SCHOOLS.
      WE'VE ALREADY BEEN TO TALK TO THE SCHOOL BOARD A COUPLE
      WEEKS AGO.
      THEIR INDICATION AT THE TIME WAS THEY WEREN'T SURE WHAT
      THESE CLUBS WERE AND HOW -- AND HOW MANY THERE WERE, BUT
      THAT THEY WOULD LOOK INTO IT.
      SO I KNOW THERE'LL HAVE TO BE SOME DISCUSSION AND SOME
      DECISION-MAKING BETWEEN THEM AND YOU-ALL, AND I JUST WANT
      TO -- TO ASK YOU TO -- TO CONSIDER THE MORAL ISSUES HERE,
      AND I ASK YOU-ALL TO LOOK BACK.
      I MEAN, I CAN GO BACK QUITE AWAYS NOW AS AN OLDER MAN, AND
      I SEE WHERE OUR CHILDREN WERE YEARS AGO, AND WHERE WE'RE AT
      TODAY WITH THE MORAL ISSUES OF ALL KINDS, PROFANITY,
      PROMISCUITY, SEXUAL, TEENS, ABORTION, EVERYTHING IS UP,
      IT'S JUST AWFUL, AND I ASK YOU THAT YOU DON'T ALLOW THIS TO
      HAPPEN, IT'S JUST ONE MORE THING.
      >>JIM NORMAN: SIR, I NEED TO HAVE THAT CLARIFIED FOR YOU
      BECAUSE THE COUNTY DOES NOT HAVE THAT AUTHORITY.
      >> OKAY.
      >>JIM NORMAN: AND I NEED THE COUNTY ATTORNEY MAYBE TO
      SPEAK TO THAT.
      SCHOOL ISSUES ARE SCHOOL ISSUES.
      >> OKAY.
      >>JIM NORMAN: THIS BOARD IS A COUNTY COMMISSION.
      THE SCHOOL BOARD GOVERNS THE ACTIVITY AT -- AT SCHOOLS.
      >> OKAY.
      >>DON ODOM: COMMISSIONERS, THAT'S ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.
      THE SCHOOL BOARD IS A SEPARATE CONSTITUTIONALLY CREATED
      AUTHORITY.
      THEY HAVE THEIR OWN BUDGET, THEY MAKE THEIR OWN RULES.
      THE BOCC -- THE BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS HAS
      ABSOLUTELY NO JURISDICTION OR CONTROL OVER THE SCHOOL BOARD
      AND ITS POLICIES.
      >> OKAY.
      >>JIM NORMAN: SO YOU NEED TO KNOW THAT, AND WHICH AREA TO
      ACTUALLY -- IF YOU WANT TO TRY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE --
      >> RIGHT.
      >>JIM NORMAN: -- THAT IS THE FORUM THAT YOU GO BEFORE.
      >>RONDA STORMS: YOUR ELECTED SCHOOL BOARD MEMBERS.
      I WOULD ENCOURAGE YOU TO CONTACT YOUR ELECTED SCHOOL BOARD
      MEMBERS AND CONTINUE TO DO WHAT YOU KNOW HOW TO DO, WHICH
      IS TO GO TO THE MEETINGS AND RAISE THESE AS ISSUES AND
      PROVIDE INFORMATION, AND I'M HAPPY TO HELP YOU WITH
      INFORMATION.
      >> OKAY.
      THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
      >>JIM NORMAN: THANK YOU, SIR.
      JOE CLEMENTS AND VANCE HAMILTON.
      . . .
      MICHAEL FREINCLE, LINDA RUSSELL, AND LINDA MANCEY.
      WELCOME.
      >> GOOD EVENING.
      I'M DEFINITELY NOT AS PREPARED AS ANYBODY ELSE HERE, SO I'M
      SORRY IF I FUMBLE, AND I'M DEFINITELY IN THE WRONG CROWD,
      BUT I'M -- I'M THE PRESIDENT OF BRANDON HIGH SCHOOL GSA,
      AND WE DEFINITELY DON'T TALK ABOUT SEX.
      THAT'S ONE OF OUR RULES.
      WE'RE NOT ALLOWED TO, AND THAT'S NOT SOMETHING ANYBODY --
      ANY ADULT SAID, THAT'S SOMETHING THAT WE'VE -- WE DECIDED
      WHEN WE WERE FORMING THIS CLUB, THAT WE DON'T WANT TO BE
      AFFILIATED WITH THAT.
      I THINK THERE ARE A LOT OF MISCONCEPTIONS GOING ON, AND
      THAT'S WHY I'M HERE TONIGHT, BECAUSE AS YOUTH ARE COMING OF
      AGE, I DON'T THINK WE'RE PROPERLY REPRESENTATIVE --
      REPRESENTED.
      YEAH, THERE ARE PROMISCUOUS PEOPLE IN OUR COMMUNITY, IN THE
      HOMOSEXUAL COMMUNITY, BUT THAT DOES NOT MAKE UP MANY OF THE
      YOUTH WHO ARE COMING OF AGE NOW, AND THE ACTIONS THAT HAVE
      BEEN TAKEN I FEEL ARE TAKEN TO -- TAKEN BECAUSE OF THE
      COMMUNITY THAT EXISTS NOW, AND IT'S NOT THE COMMUNITY
      THAT'S COMING OF AGE, AND PUTTING THINGS LIKE SUPER VOTE TO
      TALK ABOUT IT AGAIN OR SUPER VOTE TO VETO THIS THING,

      THAT'S EVEN MORE [mean]SPIRITED BECAUSE THINGS CHANGE, AND THINGS
      ARE DRAMATICALLY CHANGING IN THE HIGH SCHOOLS RIGHT NOW.
      YEAH, LIKE I SAID, THERE ARE PROMISCUOUS PEOPLE IN THE HIGH
      SCHOOL, BUT THAT'S NOT THE MAJORITY, AND I'D LIKE TO INVITE
      RIGHT NOW EVERY COMMISSIONER ON THE BOARD TO COME OUT AND
      SIT IN ON ONE OF OUR MEETINGS.
      EVEN IF THE WORD "SEX" IS MENTIONED, IT'S DEFINITELY NOT
      ALLOWED TO BE TALKED ABOUT, AND I THINK THAT'S WHAT THIS
      WHOLE ISSUE HAS BEEN TURNED INTO, SOMETHING ABOUT SEX.
      IT'S NOT ABOUT SEX.
      IT'S JUST NOT, AND I JUST WANTED TO GET THAT OUT THERE.
      YOU GUYS ARE DEFINITELY LOOKING AT THE WRONG -- YOU GUYS
      ARE LOOKING AT YOUR CONSTITUENTS, BUT NOW I'M ONE OF YOUR
      CONSTITUENTS.
      I'M IN RONDA STORMS' DISTRICT, AND I'M NOT BEING
      REPRESENTED -- REPRESENTED IN THE MANNER THAT I WISH TO BE.
      THANK YOU.
      >>JIM NORMAN: THANK YOU.
      [APPLAUSE]
      LINDA RUSSELL.
      >> HIGH.
      >>JIM NORMAN: THEN LINDA MANCEY.
      WELCOME.
      >> MY NAME IS LINDA RUSSELL.
      I LIVE AT 3539 YALE CIRCLE IN RIVERVIEW.
      THAT'S RIGHT OFF OF BLOOMINGDALE, AND WE WANT TO THANK YOU
      FOR BEING HERE TONIGHT.
      IT'S GREAT TO HAVE YOU OUT ON OUR SIDE OF THE COUNTY.
      WE REALLY APPRECIATE ALL THAT YOU'RE DOING.
      AND HOW IRONIC THAT I'M FOLLOWING THAT YOUNG MAN BECAUSE
      ONE OF THE THINGS I WANTED TO SAY WAS I WANT TO ENCOURAGE
      YOU TO CONTINUE TO STAND FOR WHAT IS RIGHT, FOR THE
      AMERICAN -- FOR THE TRADITIONAL AMERICAN VALUES THAT WE'VE
      ALL HELD SO PRECIOUS SINCE THIS COUNTRY WAS FOUNDED.
      SO WE JUST WANT TO ENCOURAGE YOU TO CONTINUE --
      [APPLAUSE]
      -- TO STAND FOR WHAT IS RIGHT.
      SOME OTHERS HAVE ALREADY SAID THAT, AND AGAIN, WE JUST WANT
      TO THANK YOU AND ENCOURAGE YOU AND SUPPORT YOU.
      THE OTHER THING IS WE JUST -- I'M A MEMBER OF THE TURKEY
      CREEK ALUMNI AND FRIENDS ASSOCIATION.
    • TampaGLCoupleslooking2MarryandAdopt@yaho
      Message 47 of 47 , Jan 14, 2007
> [...]

        TEEN BOYS AND A BISEXUAL BOY AND HIS GIRLFRIEND, A 29-YEAR-
        OLD MAN MEETS A 17-YEAR-OLD BOY IN AN ON-LINE CHATROOM.
        THEY EVENTUALLY GO ON A DATE, WHERE THE READERS ARE TREATED
        TO AN EXPLICIT SEX SCENE INVOLVING INTERCOURSE WITHOUT A
        CONDOM.
        THIS TAKES PLACE IN THE APARTMENT OF THE ADULT MAN,
        CHEATING ON HIS LIVE-IN LOVER, WHO IS OUT OF TOWN.
        THE YOUNGER BOY IS THEN WORRIED ABOUT HIV, BUT TESTS
        NEGATIVE.
        AS THE BOOK CLOSES, THIS SAME BOY BEGINS A RELATIONSHIP
        WITH A 19-YEAR-OLD COLLEGE STUDENT WHO'S HIV POSITIVE.
        I'VE GOT MORE, BUT I DON'T WANT TO READ THEM.
        IT REALLY UPSETS ME.
        IT UPSETS MY STOMACH.
        THIS IS ONE OF THE ORGANIZATIONS THAT'S PROMOTED DURING GAY
        PRIDE WEEK.
        I THANK YOU FOR NOT USING MY TAX DOLLARS TO PROMOTE THIS.
        [APPLAUSE]
        . . .
> [...]
        >>DON ODOM: COMMISSIONERS, THAT'S ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.
        THE SCHOOL BOARD IS A SEPARATE CONSTITUTIONALLY CREATED
        AUTHORITY.
        THEY HAVE THEIR OWN BUDGET, THEY MAKE THEIR OWN RULES.
        THE BOCC -- THE BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS HAS
        ABSOLUTELY NO JURISDICTION OR CONTROL OVER THE SCHOOL BOARD
        AND ITS POLICIES.
        >> OKAY.
        >>JIM NORMAN: SO YOU NEED TO KNOW THAT, AND WHICH AREA TO
        ACTUALLY -- IF YOU WANT TO TRY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE --
        >> RIGHT.
        >>JIM NORMAN: -- THAT IS THE FORUM THAT YOU GO BEFORE.
        >>RONDA STORMS: YOUR ELECTED SCHOOL BOARD MEMBERS.
        I WOULD ENCOURAGE YOU TO CONTACT YOUR ELECTED SCHOOL BOARD
        MEMBERS AND CONTINUE TO DO WHAT YOU KNOW HOW TO DO, WHICH
        IS TO GO TO THE MEETINGS AND RAISE THESE AS ISSUES AND
        PROVIDE INFORMATION, AND I'M HAPPY TO HELP YOU WITH
        THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
        >>JIM NORMAN: THANK YOU, SIR.
        JOE CLEMENTS AND VANCE HAMILTON.
        . . .
        MICHAEL FREINCLE, LINDA RUSSELL, AND LINDA MANCEY.
        WELCOME.
        >> GOOD EVENING.
        I'M DEFINITELY NOT AS PREPARED AS ANYBODY ELSE HERE, SO I'M
        SORRY IF I FUMBLE, AND I'M DEFINITELY IN THE WRONG CROWD,
        BUT I'M -- I'M THE PRESIDENT OF BRANDON HIGH SCHOOL GSA,
        AND WE DEFINITELY DON'T TALK ABOUT SEX.
        THAT'S ONE OF OUR RULES.
        WE'RE NOT ALLOWED TO, AND THAT'S NOT SOMETHING ANYBODY --
        ANY ADULT SAID, THAT'S SOMETHING THAT WE'VE -- WE DECIDED
        WHEN WE WERE FORMING THIS CLUB, THAT WE DON'T WANT TO BE
        AFFILIATED WITH THAT.
        I THINK THERE ARE A LOT OF MISCONCEPTIONS GOING ON, AND
        THAT'S WHY I'M HERE TONIGHT, BECAUSE AS YOUTH ARE COMING OF
        AGE, I DON'T THINK WE'RE PROPERLY REPRESENTATIVE --
        REPRESENTED.
        YEAH, THERE ARE PROMISCUOUS PEOPLE IN OUR COMMUNITY, IN THE
        HOMOSEXUAL COMMUNITY, BUT THAT DOES NOT MAKE UP MANY OF THE
        YOUTH WHO ARE COMING OF AGE NOW, AND THE ACTIONS THAT HAVE
        BEEN TAKEN I FEEL ARE TAKEN TO -- TAKEN BECAUSE OF THE
        COMMUNITY THAT EXISTS NOW, AND IT'S NOT THE COMMUNITY
        THAT'S COMING OF AGE, AND PUTTING THINGS LIKE SUPER VOTE TO
        TALK ABOUT IT AGAIN OR SUPER VOTE TO VETO THIS THING,

        THAT'S EVEN MORE [mean]SPIRITED BECAUSE THINGS CHANGE, AND THINGS
        ARE DRAMATICALLY CHANGING IN THE HIGH SCHOOLS RIGHT NOW.
        YEAH, LIKE I SAID, THERE ARE PROMISCUOUS PEOPLE IN THE HIGH
        SCHOOL, BUT THAT'S NOT THE MAJORITY, AND I'D LIKE TO INVITE
        RIGHT NOW EVERY COMMISSIONER ON THE BOARD TO COME OUT AND
        SIT IN ON ONE OF OUR MEETINGS.
        EVEN IF THE WORD "SEX" IS MENTIONED, IT'S DEFINITELY NOT
        ALLOWED TO BE TALKED ABOUT, AND I THINK THAT'S WHAT THIS
        WHOLE ISSUE HAS BEEN TURNED INTO, SOMETHING ABOUT SEX.
        IT'S NOT ABOUT SEX.
        IT'S JUST NOT, AND I JUST WANTED TO GET THAT OUT THERE.
        YOU GUYS ARE DEFINITELY LOOKING AT THE WRONG -- YOU GUYS
        ARE LOOKING AT YOUR CONSTITUENTS, BUT NOW I'M ONE OF YOUR
        CONSTITUENTS.
        I'M IN RONDA STORMS' DISTRICT, AND I'M NOT BEING
        REPRESENTED -- REPRESENTED IN THE MANNER THAT I WISH TO BE.
        THANK YOU.
        >>JIM NORMAN: THANK YOU.
        [APPLAUSE]
        LINDA RUSSELL.