Re: [TalkingFolklore] County Folk-Lore Series

  • Paul Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2012
      What is the title of the volume?

      Paul

      On 04/08/2012 2:34 PM, stephen_miller101 wrote:

      Dear List,

      I am writing an article on the County Folk-Lore Series as issued by the FLS and while I have access to copies of the series from two different libraries none of them has a title page for the first volume. This was meant to be issued and likewise an index. The index never appeared and I was wondering if the title page also failed to make it into print?

      Does anyone have access to this volume that has a title page?

      Thanks,
      Stephen

      --
      Paul Smith
      Department of Folklore

      Phone: (Office) 1-709-737-8410; (Home) 1-709-895-3159
      FAX: (Office) 1-709-737-4718; (Home) 1-709-895-6487

      This electronic communication is governed by the terms and conditions at http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2012.php
    • stephen_miller101
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 7, 2012
        The main title will simply be County Folklore Volume One but it is the full detail of the title page that I am after. The two copies to which I have access simply bind together in an FLS cover the three separately issued so designated Printed Extracts. That both copies lack the title page and the index does suggest to me that they never appeared.

        Stephen

      • paul.cowdell@talk21.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 7, 2012
          Hi Stephen

          Looking at the ongoing list of FLS Publications there seems to be some confusion there as well. Caroline's on holiday at the moment (sensible Londoners are mostly not in town for the duration, or at least not using public transport much). I'm hoping to get into the FLS reference collection in the next couple of days so will check the copy there.

          The FLS's original copy (which was rebound in the 1960s) is currently at Kew: the description lists it as Hartland's Gloucestershire volume 'bound together with' the other two, so it's possible there was no other matter. However the volume as a whole does seem to have just one number in the publications list (37). Of course, that might just be a shortcoming of listing, and the Publication Numbers for the other two component parts might just not have been documented.

          Anyhow, I'll have a look at the one in the office first and get back to you.

          Paul

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 16, 2012
            Paul,

            The three parts were issued separately, 1892, 1893, and 1895 and it was decided that the year in which part three appeared those parts would make up a volume and be that extra volume for that subscription year.

            It then became vol. XXXVII of the Society's publications. The numbering at times is complicated as the extra volume (as it was always referred to) often did not appear in the year for which the subscription covered it and at times the dating differs between the FLS title-page (which should bear the subscription year) and the volume title-page that bears the actual year of appearance.

            There are a number of volumes unnumbered but given a numbering in the 1921 Prospectus that has a complete listing of all the titles bar one extra volume that apeared much later. They appear to have messed up the numbering when a 75a had to be issued though I have yet to check the title-page.

            Stephen