Black Nigerian Mayor in Ireland Told a white lie!

  • kelvin ukut
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 7, 2007

      It’s Only a White Lie, Isn’t It?

      By Paul Ohia in Lagos and Jaiyeola Andrews in Abeokuta, 08.07.2007
      Rotimi Adebari made history recently when he was elected the Mayor of Portlaoise in the County Laois, Republic of Ireland. He is the first black man, the first non-Irish to be so honoured.
      But his claim of having fled Nigeria as a result of religious persecution has turned out to be an event not known to history, both oral and written.
      Adebari, a Christian, had claimed, on his arrival in Ireland in 2000, that he fled Nigeria because of religious persecution in his village, Oke-Odan in Yewa South Local Government Area of Ogun State.
      THISDAY checks have revealed that no harassment of Christians took place in Oke-odan in Yewa in 2000, the time of his departure. There was no fighting between Muslims and Christians as he claimed.
      Indeed, the town is predominantly Christian, with a handful of devotees of traditional African religion.
      But there was an event that took place in Oke-Odan that same year: a devastating flood that rendered residents of the area homeless such that they had to seek shelter in adjoining villages.
      Foreign news agencies also gave Adebari the tag of a “popular Nigerian”, but the 43-year-old man was relatively unknown before his mayoral election.
      The sleepy town of Oke-Odan initially received the news that one of their sons was made a Mayor in the Republic of Ireland with indifference, but now, many villagers identify with his achievement.
      Indigenes of the town who spoke to THISDAY on the condition of anonymity (“We don’t want to be seen as bringing him down”, a villager said), revealed that Adebari travelled out of Nigeria in 2000 in search of “green pasture”.
      They said he might have sought "fake asylum” in Ireland using religious persecution as a channel to achieve his aim.
      A chief, who also pleaded anonymity, said he could not recollect any religious persecution at that point in time, "except he (Adebari) is claiming persecution from traditional religionists, which is not to the knowledge of anybody in Oke-Odan, not to the knowledge of the traditional ruling council".
      Adebari's story, as narrated by different media in Ireland, goes that he travelled to Ireland with his wife and two boys in 2000, and claimed asylum on the basis of religious persecution, citing bloody clashes between Christians and Muslims in his homeland.
      His application was rejected because of insufficient evidence to show that he had personally suffered persecution, but he gained residency because his third child, another boy, was born while he was still in Ireland.
      By then, asylum-seekers flocked to Ireland in part to gain European Union citizenship on the basis of having a child born in the country. Ireland in 2004 stopped granting citizenship to foreign parents of an Irish-born child, a law that had been unique in Europe.
      Adebari said he had trouble finding work at first - in part because of an Irish law that bars people from working while they were seeking asylum.
      He volunteered at a local tennis club, helped found a lobbying group for unemployed people in Portlaoise and ran for office, winning a council seat on his first try in 2004.
      Back in Adebari's hometown, THISDAY discovered that some groups in Oke-Odan, are already making moves to persuade Adebari to come home and contest the 2011 Governorship election in the State as a result of his new status as a Mayor in Ireland
      These groups, according to findings, are hinging their campaign for Adebari on the fact that the West senatorial district has not produced the governor of the state since its creation,  as well as the belief that Adebari's experience in Ireland as a Mayor would come handy in making that dream of producing the governor a reality.
      Controversy
      Adebari’s election, even though widely celebrated in the media, has generated controversy in Ireland. Many are questioning the right of a “foreigner” to be made a Mayor.
      His predecessor, Kathleen O’ Brien, recently expressed disappointment about the verbal attack by a Portlaoise resident on Adebari.
      “This man is in a minority, Rotimi is a gentleman, he will be an asset to the people in Portlaoise. I am opposed to what was said,”  O’Brien   said.
      Tom Duffy, a self-employed labourer from Belfast, now living in Portlaoise, made racist attacks against the Nigerian. He said on Midlands Radio 3 that non-Irish people should not hold such positions. In a discussion on the deportation of non-nationals from Ireland, Mr. Duffy proclaimed, “I am a racist, my views represent about 50% of people”.
      In an interview with the Laois Nationalist, he said Adebari should not hold a position in the town council due to his nationality.
      “He is not Irish, he should not be in the council,” said Mr. Duffy.
       “Irish blocklayers can’t get jobs because of them working for nothing.
      “These foreign immigrants driving around in cars, getting cars from the Government, while single Irish mothers don’t get the same is wrong. If I thought I’d get enough votes, I’d represent the Irish people. I’d look after our own,” he said. “A new party is needed instead of Sinn Féin. I was a Sinn Fein supporter before Brian Stanley supported Rotimi.”
      But Stanley said, “Rotimi Adebari was elected into the town council. I do not support racist attitudes. We already have organisations close to the National Front in this country, the UFF and the UVF. I work with Rotimi the same as the eight other councillors, he has the same right to be there as anyone else. Those who feel he shouldn’t be there should have put their name in the ballot box the first time round.”
      Activist
      Adebari had said, on his election, that Ireland is a model to the world on diversity and integration.  He said that other countries can learn so much from the welcoming Irish approach to diversity.
      The mayor criticised a letting agency which published an 'Irish people only' ad on a property website, saying it was a clear example of discrimination.
      “We all remember in the 1950-60s when there were signs in England saying, 'No Irish need apply'. It is very disappointing and I expect them to put it down," he said. The letting agency which placed the ad on the Daft.ie website said it had occurred due to an error by a recently appointed member of staff.
      The Mayor has become the pride of the minority black people in the country. But just don’t mention how he got there in the first place.

    • kelvin ukut
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8, 2007
        At least someone with sense in NUC

        HIV test: NUC faults Covenant varsity
        By Onyedi Ojiabor, Abuja
        The National Universities Commission on Tuesday criticised the decision of the Covenant University, Ota, Ogun State, to compel its graduating students to undergo HIV and pregnancy tests.

        The apex university regulatory body said there was no justification whatsoever for the university to subject its graduating students to compulsory HIV and pregnancy tests.
        The NUC Deputy Executive Secretary (University Education), Prof. Ignatius Uvah, stated the commission‘s position in an interview with our correspondent in Abuja.
        He added that the university was bound to respect national and international policies on HIV test.
        Uvah, however, added that the commission had not received any report on the issue from the university or students ”and we do not know what the university is doing.”
        He said, “Institutions have the right to make rules and regulations for moral and attitudinal development of students. But whatever rules must be within the bounds of national and international norms and conventions to which Nigeria is signatory.
        ”HIV test is voluntary worldwide. NUC cannot allow any directive contrary to that. But one can understand the situation where universities require medical test of in-coming students to know if they are fit for the rigours of academic work.
        ”But there is no justification at all for testing when students are leaving. Certainly, NUC will not subscribe to that especially when HIV testing is voluntary and the result of such test made known only to the person tested.”
        He insisted that universities, as centres of learning and knowledge, should at all times endeavour to comply with public policies and international conventions.

      • kelvin ukut
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 10, 2007
          I get tired when scums like Fasehun who with the carpenter Gani Adams introduced organised Tribal terrorism into Nigerian Politics cry of Yoruba marginalisation, this is a man who collected Millions from Obasonjo and sold his organisation to support Babas emergence as president. was he blind, deaf and dumb when the Yoruba's were controlling Nigeria under OBJ, Will someone please tell this man to shut up or I will send Sango the Yoruba god of is it thunder to strike his face into 2. Does the man think we have selective memory like him and his ilks.

          Shio

          Citizen Kelvin Ukut

          YORUBA HAVE BEEN MARGINALISED
          By Waheed Bakare
          Published: Friday, 10 Aug 2007

          The Founder of Oodua People’s Congress, Dr. Frederick Fasehun, said on Wednesday that the Yoruba had been marginalised under the present administration.
          Skip to next paragraph
          click to expand image
          Adaeze Amos
          Frederick Fasehun

          Fasehun, who spoke extempore at a seminar on “Peaceful co-existence in a multi-religious Nigeria, in Lagos, organised by a group, Muslim Rights Concern, warned that social injustice would promote violence.

          He said, “Looking at the national leadership, there is no Yoruba man at the top. If you look at the judiciary, legislature, even the Secretary to the Federal Government is not a Yoruba man. If you have anything to share, you must consider the Yoruba. Yoruba believe in fairness, equity and justice. We are not violent but we are demanding our rights.

          “When we voted, we thought there would be peace. But since we voted, we have not known peace. Social injustice will promote violence. If we do not indulge in peaceful co-existence, Nigeria will not grow. If we don’t love our neighbour, we will be offending God.”
          Maintaining that he did not believe in violence, Fasehun said the OPC became a child of necessity when the Yoruba were being marginalised, adding that the socio-cultural organisation would continue to defend and promote Yoruba’s interest without infringing on the rights of other ethnic groups.

          On religious tolerance, the OPC founder observed that in spite of numerous churches and mosques, Nigeria was not a godly nation because there was lack of sincerity.

          Commending the Director of MURIC, Dr. Is-haq Lakin- Akintola, for organising the seminar, Fasehun said, “I am happy that MURIC is taking the initiatives. We believe in you and we will continue to support you. Religion should not divide us. Rather, it should unify us.
          “Nigeria needs redemption and we are happy that MURIC is opening our eyes and ears. Nigeria is not immune to calamity. God controls all forces of calamities. So, we need to change our ways.”

          In his remark, Akintola, who observed that there was no alternative to peaceful co-existence among adherence of all religions, advised the Federal Government not to reduce the powers of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.

        • Asagwara, Ken (EDU-ECY)
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 10, 2007

            Do these ethnic irredentists really know the meaning of the word, Marginalization? I guess as Yar’Adua is now Nigeria ’s President, the Hausa/Fulani is marginalized going by Dr. Frederick Fasehun understanding and usage of the word. I forgot the country in question is Nigeria where anything goes.

            Like Kelvin Ukut, I too say, Shio!

            KC Prince Asagwara

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 30, 2007

              Robbers, Robbers Everywhere, Police Helpless

              Date 2007/11/30 16:16:24 | Topic: Breaking News

              By Simon Ateba & Wole Adeboye

              The spate of robbery operations in the Lagos metropolis is alarming and seems to be sending wrong signals that police are helpless in combating the menace. No single day or week passes without report about robbers laying siege to entire streets in the metropolis or mugging at gunpoint and killing innocent citizens as well the policemen themselves.
              Armed robbers seem to be having a field day as they strike at night as well as in broad daylight, carting away huge sums of money and properties worth several millions of naira and leaving their victims with indelible scars and trauma.

              Last night, they raided some supermarkets in Magodo. They also attacked motorists under the Ojodu Berger bridge at 8:00 p.m.

              In another incident, a car belonging to the Africa Independent Television, AIT, was snatched.

              Last Sunday, a police constable identified as Isiaka attached to the Sabo police station was shot by robbers during an operation. He later died in the hospital on Wednesday.

              Armed robbers again struck at Giwa Oke Aro Street, Iju on the outskirts of Lagos and killed three persons including a four-year old girl.

              The robbers, numbering about 50 reportedly came to the street in four buses, three cars and one jeep. They perforated the walls of many houses. They reportedly ransacked all the houses in the street and took away money and other valuable goods.

              Tears flowed freely on the street yesterday as one of the victims of the robbery incident a 16-year old, girl was buried.

              About three weeks ago, at least 20 armed robbers, most of them teenagers, raided Adedotun Dina Crescent, Off Ajose Street in Mende, Maryland.

              Sources told P.M.News that the robbers moved from house to house. In one of the apartments, they collected N6 million cash from a man who had just got the money as rent for his building.

              The man, it was learnt, was planning to take the money to the bank on Monday when the robbers struck on Friday night and took the money from him.

              Luckily for the residents of the street, no one was hurt during the robbery operation that lasted more than an hour.

              In the morning of Thursday, 22 November, daredevil armed robbers struck at an old generation bank on Iju-Ishaga road, killing a 15-year old pupil of Holy Blessed College, Abule-Egba, a police constable attached to the bank and three others. Several onlookers and passers-by were also seriously injured.

              In another daring daylight operation early in the week, robbers gunned down four policemen attached to Mushin Police Station, Olosan, and snatched the salary of members of staff of a company located at Fatai Atere Way, Matori, Isolo, Lagos.

              The slain policemen were said to be escorting a van carrying the salary of members of staff from FCMB to the company on Monday when they were attacked.

              At Oshodi, also early this week, a medical student of Ahmadu Bello University, ABU Zaria, was killed by unidentified gunmen.

              The victim, identified as Sunday Adaji, 26, was found in a pool of his blood at Ewenla garage in Oshodi area of Lagos.

              When detectives attached to the State Criminal Investigation Department, (SCID), Panti Yaba, visited the scene of the crime, they found a travel bag containing two locally made pistols, ammunition, his identity card and some medical books beside the corpse.

              On Tuesday 20 November, gunmen invaded the residence of Justice Olanrewaju Akeredolu.

              The unidentified gunmen had stormed the house and vandalised the property shortly after she ruled that the local government election in Ondo State cannot hold at the moment.

              On 14 November, blood flowed at Trinity bus stop, Apapa, Lagos, when daredevil armed robbers engaged the police in a shoot-out. At the end of the shooting, two policemen, an inspector, a sergeant and two of the suspected robbers lay dead.

              On Wednesday, October 30, armed robbers shot and killed a guest at a naming ceremony near Haruna bus stop, along College road in Ifako, Agege.

              The incident occurred at about 9.30 p.m. when about four armed men dispossessed a man of his Mercedes Benz ML jeep.

              P.M.News learnt that one of the guests at the ceremony had thrown stones at the robbers, obviously in sympathy with the victim of the robbery operation.

              The robbers, who were driving of in the vehicle, were said to have become angry and fired several shots at the guests at the naming ceremony and in the process, three persons were hit and sustained injuries.

              One of those shot by the robbers, Kayode Amos, 26, a painter, died later in the hospital.

              On Wednesday, this week the Inspector General of police, Mr. Mike Okiro, allegedly escaped from a robbery scene along Apapa-Oshodi expressway.

              The attack occurred a few hours after the police boss had told journalists in Lagos that there was no cause for alarm regarding the spate of robberies in Lagos and other parts of the country.

              Okiro was reportedly heading towards Festac Town in the course of his one day working visit to Lagos when the bandits struck at Berliet bus stop along Oshodi/Apapa expressway.

              It was reported that the Inspector General of police and his entourage had to abandon the Festac visit and move to Idimu in Alimosho.

              This week alone, robbers have struck on Acme Road, College Road, Ijaiye Road all in Ogba area of Lagos while other parts of the city are also under the robbers� siege.

              The robberies have been attributed in part to the alleged collaboration between some bad eggs in the police force and some of the robbers. This was the allegation of a former Inspector General of Police.

              Also, a robbery suspect who was arrested recently, corroborated this allegation by saying policemen connive with robbers.

              The suspect confessed to the policemen at Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) at Adeniji-Adele that police officers often connived with them to rob.

              The suspect, Sunday a.k.a Eje-oto, 26, of no fixed address is the leader of a 10 man-gang who rob in Lagos, Ogun and Ibadan with sophisticated weapons.

              He had been arrested and detained several times but later released.

              Some of his accomplices, known as Settle, Chicken, Yellow, he said, were set ablaze by a mob when they were caught at the scene of a robbery.

              In his confessional statement to the police, Eje-oto disclosed:

              �I can�t be killed by bullets because it won�t penetrate. I just won�t stop robbery because it runs in my blood. I blame the whole thing on my mother. She never saw anything wrong in whatever I did because she is fully in support of me, whenever I go out to rob and come back with my loot.

              �Policemen often gave us information on where to go and when the policemen are on our trail. They also share in our loot. I am not bothered about this arrest because I know too well that I will soon be let of the hook.

              �I was arrested by the police based on the information given to the police by some informants.

              This article comes from The NEWS
              http://www.thenewsng.com

              The URL for this story is:
              http://www.thenewsng.com/article.php?storyid=3859

              Sent from Yahoo! - the World's favourite mail.