Re: [TalkAntietam] Digest Number 237

  • Nancy Kouba
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 25, 2002
      The rangers did a great job on the 17th. We went on both hikes, and the afternoon was strenuous for old smokers like us (those of you who were there know who we are). The last time we were there the stairs were not built at Burnside Bridge, and it was great to get over the ridge (the property is in private hands and in the process of being sold - Brian said they were trying to purchase it but by law were not allowed to offer more than the market price). He was not sure of the details or how good a chance the park service had. If anyone knows anything about this, we'd appreciate hearing how/if we could help. In any case, A+ to the park service for the wonderful work they do at Antietam.

      There is 1 message in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Amniversary hikes: comments?
      From: "Ron Church"

      Message: 1
      Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 19:57:32 -0400
      From: "Ron Church"
      Subject: Re: Amniversary hikes: comments?

      Tom,

      I was there on the 17th and took the hike of the north end of the field.
      There were two rangers giving the tour, who I'm sure were caught by surprise
      at the number of people who showed up. At a conservative estimate there
      were 200 in the group. The two rangers, Brian Barascz and Tom (can't
      remember his last name) alternated the speaking duties and did a fantastic
      job. Please relay my thanks and cudos to them. They had to make several
      "tactical adjustments" in doing their best to accommodate such a large
      group. But they did it and very well. I especially enjoyed Brians talk of
      the actions in the West Woods.

      Ron Church
      Manchester Md

      Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 8:20 AM
      Subject: [TalkAntietam] Amniversary hikes: comments?

      > For anyone who participated in this year's anniversary hikes at Antietam,
      do
      > you have any comments about the hikes? I've been asked to pass along my
      > comments and would like to include those of our members.
      >
      > Tom Shay

    • Tom Clemens
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 25, 2002
        Nancy,
        i have talked to Supt. John Howard about this situation. The owners
        have talked tot he NPS off and on over the years, but are now "sseing
        whatthe market will bear." I call it trolling for suckers. They want a
        lot of money for land that cannot be developed, it is under easement
        already, and ios not good farmland. Hopefully, they will not get any
        bites, but if they do it will be someone who will appreciatet he land.
        If not, the NPS will probably get it. Do not panic.
        Tom Clemens

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 25, 2002

          What piece of land is this? Can SHAF help?

          Your humble servant,
          Gerry Mayers
          Pvt., CS Signals,
          Longstreet's Corps

          Edward Lee

          Gods and Generals movie slated for general theater release
          February 21, 2003--
          said by Stephen Lang, September 14, 2002

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Sponsor ---------------------~-->
          > 4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/GmiolB/TM
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Steve Lopez
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 26, 2002
            --- In TalkAntietam@y..., Nancy Kouba <annemarieko@y...> wrote:

            > The rangers did a great job on the 17th. We went on both hikes,
            and the afternoon was strenuous for old smokers like us (those of
            you who were there know who we are).

            Heh. At least one of us (ahem) made the mistake of smoking *on* the
            hike and almost croaked going up those last two hills. (Actually, I
            was getting it in the *legs* moreso than in the lungs). Man, those
            were a tough couple of climbs!

            -- Steve Lopez
          • Tom Clemens
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 26, 2002
              The Shade property, part of the original Otto farm and other associated
              land. Everything to your left on Branch Ave.
              Tom

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 27, 2002
                Tom C,

                That would be tremendous indeed. Is SHAF doing anything to assist
                with any of the negotiations for the land?

                said by Stephen Lang, September 14, 2002