General Franklin artifacts

  • Scott Mingus
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2002
      I spent a portion of today in the York County (PA) Historical
      Society's library doing some research for some of my Civil War
      wargaming scenarios, as well as helping out a friend who is writing a
      new book on cavalry in the Gettysburg campaign.

      What interested me was a new display of artifacts from the life of
      Major General William Franklin, commander of VI Corps at Antietam and
      South Mountain. On display were his personal diary, some letters,
      photographs, carte de visit cards, stereoscopic cards, and other
      mementos. These are on temporary display. Next year, the museum will
      have a Civil War room devoted to York's role in the conflict, and
      much more Franklin relics will be on display to the public. Franklin
      is buried here in Mount Prospect Cemetery, which I drive by every
      night on my way home from work.

      I'll post more information on the new Franklin display when final
      plans are made.

      regards!

      Scott Mingus
      York, PA