MVP of the day

  • J Amico
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 17, 2002
      Although I usually like to pay most attention to
      privates and enlisted men in the ranks that did the
      real blood and guts fighting, i would like to pose a
      question. who would you recommend as MVP of the day at
      antietam? it cnat be a Lee or McClellan. Go down to
      the corps, division, or even regimental level. My
      recommendation is John B. Gordon.. This guy gets hit
      like 5 times before having to be removed from the
      field; he simply refused to go down.....and he lives
      to tell about it too. got to give him kudos for
      that.Definitely an under ranked Conf. general.
      A tragic loss for the Confs. was that of Grarland, Jr.
      at Sth. Mtn. Its my opinion that had he survived he
      would have eventually made it to corps or even
      divisonal level.. He was a VMI grad. His men loved
      him. And he was a Viriginian. also, another under
      ranked Conf. gen'l.
      -jason

      Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
      http://news.yahoo.com
    • Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 17, 2002
        A.P. Hill. Got the game-winning hit when trailing in the ninth inning.

[...]

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • J Amico
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 17, 2002
          True...but didnt his team still lose.
          --- "Jeff Beckner (PWC Magazine)" <jbeckner@...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 17, 2002
            Well, that's a matter of considerable debate.

            But the MVP can still come from the losing team, anyway. Without him,
            there wouldn't have BEEN a losing team. There wouldn't have been a team
            left at all.

            > A.P. Hill. Got the game-winning hit when trailing in
            > the ninth inning.

          • james2044
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 17, 2002
              I too will cast a vote for Hill. W/o his leadership and attack the
              day is a total loss. With him, the battle is a draw on the field.
              However, since Lee has to return to VA, the battle becoms a Union
              Victory and with Perryville may have turned the tide of the war.

              James