Generals

  • Andy Mills
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 17, 2002
      Hello Guys

      I was looking at my Civil War fact of the day, and since today is
      the anniversary of Antietam, of course that will be listed. It
      says: Each side lost nine generals. I was wondering if anyone
      could list each general that was lost during the battle.

      Andy

      Sent via the KillerWebMail system at innernet.net
    • Rawlings, Kevin
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 17, 2002
        Andy,
        I only know of six from Antietam which had one from each side during each
        of three phases during the 17th. They are Gen. Starke and Mansfield for the
        morning phase, Gen. Anderson and "Greasy Dick" Richardson (mortally wounded
        and lingered for a month) for the midday phase at bloody lane, and in the
        afternoon phase were Gen. Rodman and Lawrence O'Bryan Branch. If you count
        the South Mountain battles several days before you will also have Gen.s Reno
        and Garland.
        So, for the Union line up, Generals Reno (14th), Mansfield(17th),
        Richardson(17th), and Rodman(17th). On the Confederate side, Generals
        Garland(14th), Starke(17th), Anderson(17th), and Branch>

        Kevin Rawlings

        Sent via the KillerWebMail system at innernet.net

      • rotbaron@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 17, 2002
          In a message dated 09/17/2002 10:30:33 AM EST, kevin.rawlings@... writes:
          << I was looking at my Civil War fact of the day, and since today is the
          anniversary of Antietam, of course that will be listed. It says: Each side
          lost nine generals. I was wondering if anyone could list each general that
          was lost during the battle. >>

          The answer is on the <A HREF="http://www.nps.gov/anti/6_gener.htm">NPS</A>
          website at:

          http://www.nps.gov/anti/6_gener.htm

          Tom Shay
        • J Amico
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 17, 2002
            ...No fair Tom, you cheated.
            --- rotbaron@... wrote:
            > In a message dated 09/17/2002 10:30:33 AM EST,
            > kevin.rawlings@... writes:
            > << I was looking at my Civil War fact of the day,
            > and since today is the
            > anniversary of Antietam, of course that will be
            > listed. It says: Each side
            > lost nine generals. I was wondering if anyone
            > could list each general that
            > was lost during the battle. >>
            >
            > The answer is on the <A
            > HREF="http://www.nps.gov/anti/6_gener.htm">NPS</A>
            > website at:
            >
            > http://www.nps.gov/anti/6_gener.htm
            >

            > Tom Shay

            Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
            http://news.yahoo.com
          • rotbaron@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 17, 2002
              In a message dated 09/17/2002 11:06:15 AM EST, darkpharoh@... writes:
              << No fair Tom, you cheated. >>

              I knew the answers without looking, but probably would have mis-spelled their
              names. :)

              Last year a new tablet for Rodes' Brigade was placed in Sunken Road.
              I heard there would be some new items being dedicated on the battlefield
              today (or maybe earlier this week).
              Anyone know what they are? Someone mentioned new marker where Mansfield was
              shot.

              Tom Shay
            • Andy Mills
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 17, 2002
                I wish I knew what my calendar considered General. I thought the
                term was pretty universal. Unfortunately, all it says is: "each
                side loses nine generals."

                Thanks for all the help in this. I appreciate it.

                Andy

                Sent via the KillerWebMail system at innernet.net
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 17, 2002
                  Actually each side lost six generals not nine.

                  Your humble servant,
                  Gerry Mayers
                  Pvt., CS Signals,
                  Longstreet's Corps

                  Edward Lee

                  Gods and Generals movie slated for general theater release
                  February 21, 2003--
                  said by Stephen Lang, September 14, 2002

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/