Re-enactment weather

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 17, 2002
      How was the weather for Sunday at re-enactment?

      When I left Saturday, it was starting to drizzle. Sunday's weather here in
      central PA was rain most of the day.

      While at Harper's Ferry, I saw the rivers are extremely low; so I assume
      that area is also suffering from drought.

      FYI...the NPS now has small brochures for their "Cornfield Trail" and another
      trail I believe they call "Sherrick Trail". These are two trails that will be
      maintained for walking the fields.

      Tom Shay
    • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 17, 2002
        rotbaron@... wrote:

        > How was the weather for Sunday at re-enactment?

        It was overcast and rained off and on mots of the early afternoon...nothing to
        cause any flooding, but just enough to keep the canvas wet...and now drying
        outside my garage back in Michigan. the "threat" of a deluge caused many of the
        "sunshine" patriots to go home...the ranks being about fifty percent smaller
        judging by the difference in the amount of Federal troops marching past the
        Watchdog tent.

        Tom,

        Thanks again for your support on my Fox's Gap talk. Copies of my presentation are
        available to anyone via e-mail, if you promise to give five bucks to SHAF at your
        next opportunity. As soon as I am finished unpacking the rest of the truck, I'll
        let folks know how much the Watchdog collected for SHAF...probably around $100,
        but it all counts.

        I did meet a woman who's "great-great" ancestor was at the aid station where Reno
        died. He wrote a letter describing the wound...looking forward to seeing this
        unpublished tidbit. She mentioned that the bullet entered his body "at an upward
        angle." I was up at Fox' Gap on Thursday. Saw the new interpretive markers...some
        North Carolina folks that were up there noted some errors. When I get a copy of
        their comments, I'll post it.

        I am hoping to return in mid-November for a tramp in the woods now covering
        Wise's Field to look for evidence of the old mountain road south of the gap.

        Saw several holes...some neat and some done by a backhoe that appear to be part
        of the "search for Wise's well."

        On the way home on Monday I stopped in Gettysburg to visit some merchants (Circa
        Historic Attire, Thomas Publications and Needle and Thread). My wife and I
        decided to stop in Shanksville late in the afternoon as it was not too far off
        our route. I felt the same as I have at many other historic site where lives were
        lost. Of course it was fresh in our memory. I am curious how the memorial will
        develop given the twenty-first century style memorial that is now there. I
        describe it as the "Princess Diana" type of memorial. I remember being at the
        cemetery at Wounded Knee (South Dakota) on a similar afternoon with sunshine and
        a steady wind. All I saw were bright ribbons and all I could hear was the wind.
        At Shanksville the now covered gash in the ground was several hundred yards away
        with an large array of remembrances of all descriptions near the parking area.
        The wind blew some of them in the same manner of the Lakota ribbons, but I would
        have preferred the ribbons to some of what I saw. I realize that each of us
        expresses ours our feelings individually, but I kept think about what the site
        will look like in a few years when I next visit it with my grandsons when they
        are curious about it. This was brought in to focus when I remembered the quite
        moments at Fox's Gap a few days earlier.

        Bill Christen
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 17, 2002
          Bill;

          When are you thinking of returning to Fox's Gap in November? I
          might, if it would be a weekend, be able to join you there as
          well...... I have much the same reason for needing to know where
          the old road went...for my own book....

          Your humble servant,
          Gerry Mayers
          Pvt., CS Signals,
          Longstreet's Corps

          Edward Lee

          Gods and Generals movie slated for general theater release
          February 21, 2003--
          said by Stephen Lang, September 14, 2002

          Sponsor ---------------------~-->
          > 4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/GmiolB/TM
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 18, 2002
            NJ Rebel wrote:

            > When are you thinking of returning to Fox's Gap in November?

            Gerry,

            Sometime just before or after Remembrance Day weekend in Gettysburg. . This
            would be on Friday, the 15th or Sunday the 17th. I would have a couple of
            hours to go for a scout. I will not know until closer to the weekend. You are
            certainly welcome to join me.

            Bill