Re: [TalkAntietam] Digest Number 226

  • James Mattes
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11 1:49 PM
      --- TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      Message: 4
      Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 08:08:11 EDT
      From: rotbaron@...
      Subject: America's Bloodiest Day

      From a recent edition of Blue & Gray Magazine....

      Recently revised figures on the deaths in terrorist
      attacks on September 11 indicate that the Battle of
      Antietam is still the bloodiest day in American
      history. Not counting the 19 hijackers, the current
      death toll from the 4 plane crashes is 3019, including
      foreigners aboard the planes and non-American citizens
      who died in the WTC.
      Though greater than the 2388 American lives lost at
      Pearl Harbor, the number of deaths in the 9-11 attack
      does not exceed the estimated 3600 Union and
      Confederate soldiers (Americans all) who died in the
      one-day Battle of Antietam (some estimates run well
      over 4000).

      Et All:
      While I do agree with the numbers I think it is a
      mistake to say that the Union and Confederate soldiers
      were "Americans all" the amount of foreign
      born soldier on both sides was quite high. As far as
      citizenship tests were concerned back then walking off
      the boat was all that was required. Heck based on
      some research I am doing there were many
      Chinese-American soldiers in the American Civil War. I
      am sure in that day and age they would never be
      considered Americans. I would think that all the
      individuals killed at Antietam and those killed on
      9-11 count as American casualties.
      VR
      James Mattes

      Yahoo! - We Remember