Reenactments

  • Pa128th@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 10, 2002
      This is just a general comment on fees for reenactors at events. I can only
      speak to small events such as the one at Pennypacker Mills. The first year
      they had an event they did not charge anything. The site provided straw,
      ice, water, and vegetables, porta potties, etc. which they paid for. (The
      event is free to the public.)

      Well, when there were no fees, units would just sign up their entire units.
      But guess what - about half the people who signed up, showed up. This was a
      nightmare for the site - they ordered way too much and wasted their money.
      It was a decision by the entire planning committee that at the next event a
      small registration fee would be required. All of a sudden, most people who
      signed up, showed up.

      I don't think that reenactors (for without whom the event couldn't take
      place) should be charged high fees. But, it is apparent that free is not the
      answer either.

      Paula

    • Scott Hann
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2008
        Does anyone have information about pre-Centennial (1962) reenactments
        of the battle of Antietam? I'm not talking about military "exercises"
        near Bloody Lane, but actual recreations of the battle. The earlier
        the better. Thanks, Scott
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 28, 2008
          Dear Scott,

          As far as I am aware, no. However Dr. Clemens might know.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 28, 2008
            Thanks Gerry. I've found two early reenactments (one in 1906 and the other
            in 1924), but I want to know if there are others. I'm guessing there might
            have been a "sham battle" for FDR on the 75th anniversary as well.