Re: [TalkAntietam] America's Bloodiest Day

  • TR Livesey
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
      I don't know exactly what counts as 'bloody', but on
      Sept. 8, 1900 (Sept. is not a good month for Americans),
      some 5000 people are to have perished in a Hurricane
      that struck Galveston island. Nature is apparently
      still man's worst adversary.

      TR Livesey

    • Pa128th@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
        In a message dated 9/10/02 10:40:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        tlivesey@... writes:

        > I don't know exactly what counts as 'bloody', but on
        > Sept. 8, 1900 (Sept. is not a good month for Americans),
        > some 5000 people are to have perished in a Hurricane
        > that struck Galveston island. Nature is apparently
        > still man's worst adversary.

        Good point - what are they counting as bloody? I always thought it was
        casualties, not just deaths. That's why Antietam was at the top of the list.
        (I thought.)

        Paula

      • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
          Curt Johnson wrote:

          > In the Civil War, the ratio of WIA to KIA was 4.55. The
          > ratio of surviving wounded to battle deaths and died of wounds was 2.38.
          > These relationships have been fairly consistent since about 1700.
          >
          > At Fox's Gap, the Seventeenth Michigan casualties were 27 killed and 114 wounded.
          > Of the wounded, 17 died before the middle of December 1862.

          114 divided by 27 = 4.22
          114 divided by (27+17) = 2.59

          > At Antietam, the regiment lost 18 killed and 87 wounded. At least 6 of the
          > wounded died within a few months of the battle.

          87 divided by 18 = 4.83
          87 divided by 24 = 3.62 (not sure exactly how many wounded died within three months)

          Interesting ratios...I'll will look into the Dupuy work.

          I did a study of Michigan units of the "died of disease" versus "killed and died of wounds ". The ratio ranged from 156:1 to 1:1. The average for Michigan
          troops was 2.4:1 Some other writers have quoted a there or four to one ratio. It depends on the particular regiments and their exposure to combat, unit
          history, and the statistical sample size.

          Bill Christen
        • Bud Wilkinson
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 11, 2002
            We will be in Sharpsburg tomorrow afternoon. After some time on the
            battlefield we normally stop at the Antietam Gallery to see JIm Kehoe.
            We also will make our annual visit to Harpers Ferry and spend most
            of Saturday at the Heritage Festival. Our tickets for the reenactment
            are for Sunday only. We'll look for the your IB t-shirt on Saturday.

            Bud

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 11, 2002
              Bud,

              Sunday will be the AP Hill assault reenactment... I should be
              around my camp area earlier that day.. I will be part of Gen.
              Maupin's Confederate Command HQ area... Stop by if you have time.

              Your humble servant,
              Gerry Mayers
              Pvt., CS Signals,
              Longstreet's Corps

              Edward Lee

              > We will be in Sharpsburg tomorrow afternoon. After some time
              on the
              > battlefield we normally stop at the Antietam Gallery to see JIm
              Kehoe.
              > We also will make our annual visit to Harpers Ferry and spend
              most
              > of Saturday at the Heritage Festival. Our tickets for the
              reenactment
              > are for Sunday only. We'll look for the your IB t-shirt on
              Saturday.

              > Bud

            • Bud Wilkinson
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 11, 2002
                Will do...... what is the scheduled time for the AP Hill event?
                We want to be sure to get to the site on Rench Rd. early!!
                I remember the traffic in '97, although it was much easier
                getting in than getting out. :>)

                Bud

              • rotbaron@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 11, 2002
                  In a message dated 09/11/2002 9:17:16 AM EST, gwilk@... writes:
                  << what is the scheduled time for the AP Hill event? >>

                  The A.P. Hill's Attack scenario is at 2 PM.

                  A full schedule is at:
                  http://www.antietamreenactment.org/events.htm

                  Tom Shay
                • Bud Wilkinson