Re: [TalkAntietam] America's Bloodiest Day

    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
      Bud,

      If you will be stopping by the reenactment, let me know. I would
      like to have the oppty to finally meet you after all the years on
      the old ADG etc.

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Pvt., CS Signals,
      Longstreet's Corps

      Edward Lee

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
        NJ Rebel wrote:

        > ... that farmers for weeks after the battle found corpses under bushes,
        > etc. etc. Those corpses would not have been put down in either army's KIA
        > column but probably in the MIA column, no?

        The 17th had two missing...one deserted one returned (no info).

        these were probably wounded that crawled off to die.

        Bill
      • Curt Johnson
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
          The various factors and multipliers are well known, although the literature is somewhat obscure. I posted this previously on another discussion group:

          I refer you and anyone else with an interest in this subject to the late
          Col. Trevor N. Dupuy's _Attrition: Forecasting Battle Casualties and
          Equipment Losses in Modern War_. Falls Church, Va.: NOVA Pubs., 1995.
          ISBN: 0-9638692-3-X. See esp. pp. 48-54, which discuss personnel attrition
          relationships. In the Civil War, the ratio of WIA to KIA was 4.55. The
          ratio of surviving wounded to battle deaths and died of wounds was 2.38.
          These relationships have been fairly consistent since about 1700.

          There is a massive body of literature on attrition, and much of it is
          accessible via interlibrary loan, but the Dupuy work (to which I
          contributed) is the best summary and analysis of all of the various studies
          and predecessor works.

          Curt Johnson
          McLean, Va.

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
            I don't know exactly what counts as 'bloody', but on
            Sept. 8, 1900 (Sept. is not a good month for Americans),
            some 5000 people are to have perished in a Hurricane
            that struck Galveston island. Nature is apparently
            still man's worst adversary.

            TR Livesey

          • Pa128th@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
              In a message dated 9/10/02 10:40:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              tlivesey@... writes:

              > I don't know exactly what counts as 'bloody', but on
              > Sept. 8, 1900 (Sept. is not a good month for Americans),
              > some 5000 people are to have perished in a Hurricane
              > that struck Galveston island. Nature is apparently
              > still man's worst adversary.

              Good point - what are they counting as bloody? I always thought it was
              casualties, not just deaths. That's why Antietam was at the top of the list.
              (I thought.)

              Paula

            • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
                Curt Johnson wrote:

                > In the Civil War, the ratio of WIA to KIA was 4.55. The
                > ratio of surviving wounded to battle deaths and died of wounds was 2.38.
                > These relationships have been fairly consistent since about 1700.
                >
                > At Fox's Gap, the Seventeenth Michigan casualties were 27 killed and 114 wounded.
                > Of the wounded, 17 died before the middle of December 1862.

                114 divided by 27 = 4.22
                114 divided by (27+17) = 2.59

                > At Antietam, the regiment lost 18 killed and 87 wounded. At least 6 of the
                > wounded died within a few months of the battle.

                87 divided by 18 = 4.83
                87 divided by 24 = 3.62 (not sure exactly how many wounded died within three months)

                Interesting ratios...I'll will look into the Dupuy work.

                I did a study of Michigan units of the "died of disease" versus "killed and died of wounds ". The ratio ranged from 156:1 to 1:1. The average for Michigan
                troops was 2.4:1 Some other writers have quoted a there or four to one ratio. It depends on the particular regiments and their exposure to combat, unit
                history, and the statistical sample size.

                Bill Christen
              • Bud Wilkinson
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 11, 2002
                  We will be in Sharpsburg tomorrow afternoon. After some time on the
                  battlefield we normally stop at the Antietam Gallery to see JIm Kehoe.
                  We also will make our annual visit to Harpers Ferry and spend most
                  of Saturday at the Heritage Festival. Our tickets for the reenactment
                  are for Sunday only. We'll look for the your IB t-shirt on Saturday.

                  Bud

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 11, 2002
                    Bud,

                    Sunday will be the AP Hill assault reenactment... I should be
                    around my camp area earlier that day.. I will be part of Gen.
                    Maupin's Confederate Command HQ area... Stop by if you have time.

                    Your humble servant,
                    Gerry Mayers
                    Pvt., CS Signals,
                    Longstreet's Corps

                    Edward Lee

                    > We will be in Sharpsburg tomorrow afternoon. After some time
                    on the
                    > battlefield we normally stop at the Antietam Gallery to see JIm
                    Kehoe.
                    > We also will make our annual visit to Harpers Ferry and spend
                    most
                    > of Saturday at the Heritage Festival. Our tickets for the
                    reenactment
                    > are for Sunday only. We'll look for the your IB t-shirt on
                    Saturday.

                    > Bud

                  • Bud Wilkinson
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 11, 2002
                      Will do...... what is the scheduled time for the AP Hill event?
                      We want to be sure to get to the site on Rench Rd. early!!
                      I remember the traffic in '97, although it was much easier
                      getting in than getting out. :>)

                      Bud

                    • rotbaron@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 11, 2002
                        In a message dated 09/11/2002 9:17:16 AM EST, gwilk@... writes:
                        << what is the scheduled time for the AP Hill event? >>

                        The A.P. Hill's Attack scenario is at 2 PM.

                        A full schedule is at:
                        http://www.antietamreenactment.org/events.htm

                        Tom Shay
                      • Bud Wilkinson