Re: [TalkAntietam] America's Bloodiest Day

    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
      Bill and Bud,

      Somewhere in my reading, I remember reading (maybe in Kathleen
      Ernst's groundbreaking book Too Scared to Cry ??) that farmers
      for weeks after the battle found corpses under bushes, etc. etc.
      Those corpses would not have been put down in either army's KIA
      column but probably in the MIA column, no?

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Pvt., CS Signals,
      Longstreet's Corps

      Edward Lee

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
        Bud,

        If you will be stopping by the reenactment, let me know. I would
        like to have the oppty to finally meet you after all the years on
        the old ADG etc.

        Your humble servant,
        Gerry Mayers
        Pvt., CS Signals,
        Longstreet's Corps

        Edward Lee

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
          NJ Rebel wrote:

          > ... that farmers for weeks after the battle found corpses under bushes,
          > etc. etc. Those corpses would not have been put down in either army's KIA
          > column but probably in the MIA column, no?

          The 17th had two missing...one deserted one returned (no info).

          these were probably wounded that crawled off to die.

          Bill
        • Curt Johnson
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
            The various factors and multipliers are well known, although the literature is somewhat obscure. I posted this previously on another discussion group:

            I refer you and anyone else with an interest in this subject to the late
            Col. Trevor N. Dupuy's _Attrition: Forecasting Battle Casualties and
            Equipment Losses in Modern War_. Falls Church, Va.: NOVA Pubs., 1995.
            ISBN: 0-9638692-3-X. See esp. pp. 48-54, which discuss personnel attrition
            relationships. In the Civil War, the ratio of WIA to KIA was 4.55. The
            ratio of surviving wounded to battle deaths and died of wounds was 2.38.
            These relationships have been fairly consistent since about 1700.

            There is a massive body of literature on attrition, and much of it is
            accessible via interlibrary loan, but the Dupuy work (to which I
            contributed) is the best summary and analysis of all of the various studies
            and predecessor works.

            Curt Johnson
            McLean, Va.

            > One figure that can't be calculated is the many from both sides that died as a
            > result of wounds received on that day. I wouldn't be surprised if it exceeded
            > another 1,000.

            At Fox's Gap, the Seventeenth Michigan casualties were 27 killed and 114 wounded.
            Of the wounded, 17 died before the middle of December 1862.

            At Antietam, the regiment lost 18 killed and 87 wounded. At least 6 of the
            wounded died within a few months of the battle.

            It seems to me that the final death toll at Antietam could be five to ten
            (perhaps fifteen) percent higher than the number listed on rosters as killed that
            day.

            Bill Christen

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • TR Livesey
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
              I don't know exactly what counts as 'bloody', but on
              Sept. 8, 1900 (Sept. is not a good month for Americans),
              some 5000 people are to have perished in a Hurricane
              that struck Galveston island. Nature is apparently
              still man's worst adversary.

              TR Livesey

            • Pa128th@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
                In a message dated 9/10/02 10:40:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                tlivesey@... writes:

                > I don't know exactly what counts as 'bloody', but on
                > Sept. 8, 1900 (Sept. is not a good month for Americans),
                > some 5000 people are to have perished in a Hurricane
                > that struck Galveston island. Nature is apparently
                > still man's worst adversary.

                Good point - what are they counting as bloody? I always thought it was
                casualties, not just deaths. That's why Antietam was at the top of the list.
                (I thought.)

                Paula

              • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
                  Curt Johnson wrote:

                  > In the Civil War, the ratio of WIA to KIA was 4.55. The
                  > ratio of surviving wounded to battle deaths and died of wounds was 2.38.
                  > These relationships have been fairly consistent since about 1700.
                  >
                  > At Fox's Gap, the Seventeenth Michigan casualties were 27 killed and 114 wounded.
                  > Of the wounded, 17 died before the middle of December 1862.

                  114 divided by 27 = 4.22
                  114 divided by (27+17) = 2.59

                  > At Antietam, the regiment lost 18 killed and 87 wounded. At least 6 of the
                  > wounded died within a few months of the battle.

                  87 divided by 18 = 4.83
                  87 divided by 24 = 3.62 (not sure exactly how many wounded died within three months)

                  Interesting ratios...I'll will look into the Dupuy work.

                  I did a study of Michigan units of the "died of disease" versus "killed and died of wounds ". The ratio ranged from 156:1 to 1:1. The average for Michigan
                  troops was 2.4:1 Some other writers have quoted a there or four to one ratio. It depends on the particular regiments and their exposure to combat, unit
                  history, and the statistical sample size.

                  Bill Christen
                • Bud Wilkinson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 11, 2002
                    We will be in Sharpsburg tomorrow afternoon. After some time on the
                    battlefield we normally stop at the Antietam Gallery to see JIm Kehoe.
                    We also will make our annual visit to Harpers Ferry and spend most
                    of Saturday at the Heritage Festival. Our tickets for the reenactment
                    are for Sunday only. We'll look for the your IB t-shirt on Saturday.

                    Bud

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 11, 2002
                      Bud,

                      Sunday will be the AP Hill assault reenactment... I should be
                      around my camp area earlier that day.. I will be part of Gen.
                      Maupin's Confederate Command HQ area... Stop by if you have time.

                      Your humble servant,
                      Gerry Mayers
                      Pvt., CS Signals,
                      Longstreet's Corps

                      Edward Lee

                      > We will be in Sharpsburg tomorrow afternoon. After some time
                      on the
                      > battlefield we normally stop at the Antietam Gallery to see JIm
                      Kehoe.
                      > We also will make our annual visit to Harpers Ferry and spend
                      most
                      > of Saturday at the Heritage Festival. Our tickets for the
                      reenactment
                      > are for Sunday only. We'll look for the your IB t-shirt on
                      Saturday.

                      > Bud

                    • Bud Wilkinson
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 11, 2002
                        Will do...... what is the scheduled time for the AP Hill event?
                        We want to be sure to get to the site on Rench Rd. early!!
                        I remember the traffic in '97, although it was much easier
                        getting in than getting out. :>)

                        Bud

                      • rotbaron@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 11, 2002
                          In a message dated 09/11/2002 9:17:16 AM EST, gwilk@... writes:
                          << what is the scheduled time for the AP Hill event? >>

                          The A.P. Hill's Attack scenario is at 2 PM.

                          A full schedule is at:
                          http://www.antietamreenactment.org/events.htm

                          Tom Shay
                        • Bud Wilkinson