RE: [TalkAntietam] Nicknames

  • grabilljs@hqmc.usmc.mil
    Message 1 of 3 , May 9, 2001
      Group:

         Are there any references to soldiers nicknames during the period we are speaking of, specifically, from Cedar Mountain onwards?  Union or Confederate, but I'm trying to concentrate on the Confed. side; and more interested in the Private soldier than the "big bugs".  I'm attempting to do some research on this, to discover exactly how prevelant the practice was.  Any help would be much appreciated!

      Jason Grabill
    • grabilljs@hqmc.usmc.mil
      Message 2 of 3 , May 9, 2001
        Teej:

        Sorry for the confusion, I meant the actual names the sojers had for one
        another, like "Big John" or "Stumpy" etc. I'm also trying to find any
        "official" recognition of same, such as using the nickname at company roll
        call.

        Jason

        > Are there any references to soldiers nicknames during the period we
        > are speaking of, specifically, from Cedar Mountain onwards? Union or
        > Confederate, but I'm trying to concentrate on the Confed. side; and
        > more interested in the Private soldier than the "big bugs". I'm
        > attempting to do some research on this, to discover exactly how
        > prevelant the practice was. Any help would be much appreciated!

        Jason,

        Not sure what it is you're after here. Do you mean nicknames for
        soldiers as a whole i.e. "fresh fish" or individual nicknames like "Big
        John?" In the case of the latter the best place to look for those would
        be in private correspondence where the editor might note the author is
        referring to Pvt _____ ______.

        Teej

      • Teej Smith
        Message 3 of 3 , May 9, 2001