Re: [TalkAntietam] Reenactment of Antietam

  • John Furey
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 10, 2002
      Group
      Sorry for the spelling!!
      John

      John Furey wrote:

      > Gerry
      > Don't be so modest. You are knowledgeable of the CW and one of the big
      > reasons of reinactments is to educiate the public. You do this by talking,
      > not firing.
      > I once gave a lecture at Marist College on the Battle of Antietam. I'm no Tom
      > Clemans, but the students and public thanked me not for the lecture per say,
      > but what they never knew about The CW in general and the battle in
      > particular.
      > Guys like you do this each time you go out on the field. Pat yourself on the
      > back, you are a credit to all us buffs.
      > John
      >
      > NJ Rebel wrote:
      >
      > > Dave,
      > >
      > > I will be at that event. There is INSURANCE which is very
      > > expensive, land use permits, porta johns, road construction,
      > > etc., not to mention food, water, etc. Corporate sponsorship was
      > > sought to help defray many of the costs. There are 13,000
      > > reenactors registered for the event and they are expecting a
      > > sizable number of spectators. There is also event staff that have
      > > to be covered, etc.
      > >
      > > I agree with some of what you say, but reenacting needs to cover
      > > its expenses and pay its own way SOMEHOW. I am not shouting at
      > > you but emphasizing how prohibitive it could be cost wise if the
      > > public bore all the costs for an event. The mega events are
      > > really not a true way to reenact but they are a very good way to
      > > educate a large group of people into some idea of what the actual
      > > soldiers experienced in the battle situations. Living history
      > > events and similar where either the public pays or the reenactors
      > > pay are more locally run ones.
      > >
      > > I am still relatively new at the reenacting hobby but I am sure
      > > those in the group who have been in the hobby for several years
      > > could provide more information.
      > >
      > > Your humble servant,
      > > Gerry Mayers
      > > Pvt., CS Signals,
      > > Longstreet's Corps
      > >
      > > A Proud American by Birth, Southern by Choice!
      > >
      > > "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the field
      > > on which he has nobly laid down his life." --General Robert
      > > Edward Lee

    • Rawlings, Kevin
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 10, 2002
        John,
        We purposefully got away from the high peaked "baseball" style cap to the
        more popular fisherman type cap that fits snugly to your head in stonewashed
        colors. White got so easily dirty. I will bring up about doing a woman's
        gardening type hat to appeal to the more feminine fans of SHAF. Interesting
        note is most women who buy our t-shirts do so to wear as night shirts. We do
        pretty good through the bookstore at Antietam and get the biggest cut of the
        proceeds. The manager of the bookshop is pretty good friends with Tom and
        allows us to sell our items through him. As it stands now, if we need items
        we get requested through mail order, we have to go up to Antietam to get
        merchandise. Bottom line, the bookstore does us real good. Thanks for
        bringing that hat up, I just had another idea I'll present at the next Board
        meeting. Did you see the new canvas bag/tote?

        Kevin
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 10, 2002
          John;

          Compared to folks like Brian Pohanka of the CWDG and others, I am
          still very green behind the ears. Although I do think I could
          probably hold my own in a discussion of Antietam with him! (LOL)

          I am very humbled by your compliment, sir; thank you!

          BTW, glad to see you have joined the SHAF...a really great
          organization...support it if you can not volunteer at a field day
          by buying one of the great t shirts SHAF has at the bookstore at
          the Antietam VC. (I have one too!)

          Your humble servant,
          Gerry Mayers
          Pvt., CS Signals,
          Longstreet's Corps

          Edward Lee

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 10, 2002
            Kevin;

            I am glad to see you will be doing a stint at the National Civil
            War Museum later this year. That should be a real treat for you!

            Hope to be able to sip a cool one with you this time... and maybe
            you can even see me in gear... let me know if you can and I will
            try to see if it is possible to meet.

            Your humble servant,
            Gerry Mayers
            Pvt., CS Signals,
            Longstreet's Corps

            Edward Lee

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 12, 2002
              Gerry
              Actually I have been contributing to SHAF since '94 or '95. Also to the Texas
              Monument, same time frames.
              John Howard comes frome Carbondale, a town 15 mins. from where I live In
              Pleasant Mount, Pa. He sent me a really nice note a few weeks ago.
              I hope to move to a new place (for an old guy), by the end of Oct. An 1826
              Pa. Farmhouse (like a center hall eyebrow Col.), in Bradford County. Tony
              Turners 132Pa. Vol. Inf. country. Hopeing to have Tony and Carol over for
              good stuff and research.
              I would never compare you and Brian. You are both a credit to those who love
              our history, and wish to learn from it.
              John

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 16, 2002
                John;

                Thank you for your most kind words.

                Were you by any chance down at the field this weekend or anywhere
                near the reenactment site?

                Your humble servant,
                Gerry Mayers
                Pvt., CS Signals,