Re: [TalkAntietam] Reenactment of Antietam

  • John Furey
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 10, 2002
      Gerry
      Don't be so modest. You are knowledgeable of the CW and one of the big
      reasons of reinactments is to educiate the public. You do this by talking,
      not firing.
      I once gave a lecture at Marist College on the Battle of Antietam. I'm no Tom
      Clemans, but the students and public thanked me not for the lecture per say,
      but what they never knew about The CW in general and the battle in
      particular.
      Guys like you do this each time you go out on the field. Pat yourself on the
      back, you are a credit to all us buffs.
      John

    • John Furey
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 10, 2002
        Kevin
        And also "marched" me up the Gap last year at the Muster. (remember I was going
        to the Cardiologist the next week). I still made it up though with Pete Chittick
        (7 yrs. older).
        I am grateful to know men like you and Gerry and Tom, it was not that long ago
        that i even knew there was an Antietam.
        John

        "Rawlings, Kevin" wrote:

        > Dave,
        >
        > >From having been chairman of ACWCC during the the Antietam and Gettysburg
        > 125th re-enactments, I can tell you that the registration fees that came in
        > during the early days of event advertising was used to secure many of the
        > logistics of the events; ie., porta-potties, firewood(we never charged for
        > it), straw, water tankers, event bond and insurance, buying and renting of
        > tools and heavy equipment, re-enactor insurance(we covered all re-enactors
        > during the Gettysburg event), payment to the landowner for rent of his
        > property, ICE, and various other sundry things. We were a non-profit
        > organization, the groups running now are not. They are for profit with paid
        > staff and workers. All of ours were volunteers. We were able after all the
        > bills were paid to donate $2,000.00 to SHAF in 1987 and $5,000.00 to GBPA
        > for the 1988 Gettyburg event for battlefield preservation.
        >
        > After my working in the re-enactment field and several brusque
        > conversations with the new "king" of re-enactments Donny Warlick (he
        > basically told me the re-enactment mentality has changed,but I don't see
        > much of that), I gladly only do living histories at historical sites. You
        > can only get some bright spots of authenticity at such large events where
        > youcan have authenticity control at historic sites in smaller numbers. But
        > that is another lengthy e-mail in itself. I've lost my desire to participate
        > in the circus atmosphere of these grand events. But that is just my feeling.
        > Unfortunately it is the early money raised by registration of re-enactment
        > units that get the event preparations moving. I too have been appalled by
        > the rising cost of event attendance. Many of us that attended the 135th
        > Gettysburg in my artillery unit during the event looked at one another and
        > said "What the hell are we doing here and what were we thinking!" and
        > decided not to do any more re-enactments. Those are just my feelings (as
        > well as the other members of the unit) and mine alone. I'm just tired of the
        > politics and the other bs that goes along with these large CW re-enactments.
        >
        > During the 125th I worked on 1st Manassas (1986), Chairman for Antietam
        > (1987), & Gettysburg (1988), and began work on Chickamauga but left before
        > the big huricane debacle that September of 1988 for a for profit
        > re-enactment organization called Napoleonic Tactics. I've done small events
        > for the several preservation groups I belong to over the years and the
        > Sharpsburg Heritage Festival, but I am retired now from doing this. I'll
        > participate only as I've done my time in hell. It'll have to be something
        > reaaly special to get me back out to work on an event.
        > I hope I answered one or two of your questions.
        >
        > Kevin Rawlings

      • John Furey
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 10, 2002
          Kevin
          Linda and I bought hat and t-shirts at the bookstore.(SHAF). how do you do from
          them. Another thing Linda says women would much more be inclined to buy styled
          more for a lady. Like a gardening hat with a SHAF patch.
          John

          "Rawlings, Kevin" wrote:

          > Dave,
          >
          > A little more about the mega re-enactment at the Antietam area this weekend.
          > The event co-ordinators are not allowing preservation groups like SHAF and
          > other non-profit groups to sell t-shirts and hats and other items that are
          > the staple of our fundraising because they want to have complete control of
          > the money brought in from the sale of their t-shirts and hats and not be
          > diluted from having so many other groups cutting into their profits. Books
          > are okay, but I can't remember if we are allowed to sell our raffle tickets
          > for a Don Trioni framed print. There was a fair sized list of "cans" and
          > "can'ts". SHAF and several other groups have been promised a donation of the
          > proceeds raised from the event after all bills are paid. It still stings to
          > have our biggest money makers forbidden from our table merchandise.
          >
          > Kevin Rawlings

        • John Furey
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 10, 2002
            Group
            Sorry for the spelling!!
            John

            John Furey wrote:

            > Gerry
            > Don't be so modest. You are knowledgeable of the CW and one of the big
            > reasons of reinactments is to educiate the public. You do this by talking,
            > not firing.
            > I once gave a lecture at Marist College on the Battle of Antietam. I'm no Tom
            > Clemans, but the students and public thanked me not for the lecture per say,
            > but what they never knew about The CW in general and the battle in
            > particular.
            > Guys like you do this each time you go out on the field. Pat yourself on the
            > back, you are a credit to all us buffs.
            > John
            >
            > NJ Rebel wrote:
            >
            > > Dave,
            > >
            > > I will be at that event. There is INSURANCE which is very
            > > expensive, land use permits, porta johns, road construction,
            > > etc., not to mention food, water, etc. Corporate sponsorship was
            > > sought to help defray many of the costs. There are 13,000
            > > reenactors registered for the event and they are expecting a
            > > sizable number of spectators. There is also event staff that have
            > > to be covered, etc.
            > >
            > > I agree with some of what you say, but reenacting needs to cover
            > > its expenses and pay its own way SOMEHOW. I am not shouting at
            > > you but emphasizing how prohibitive it could be cost wise if the
            > > public bore all the costs for an event. The mega events are
            > > really not a true way to reenact but they are a very good way to
            > > educate a large group of people into some idea of what the actual
            > > soldiers experienced in the battle situations. Living history
            > > events and similar where either the public pays or the reenactors
            > > pay are more locally run ones.
            > >
            > > I am still relatively new at the reenacting hobby but I am sure
            > > those in the group who have been in the hobby for several years
            > > could provide more information.
            > >
            > > Your humble servant,
            > > Gerry Mayers
            > > Pvt., CS Signals,
            > > Longstreet's Corps
            > >
            > > A Proud American by Birth, Southern by Choice!
            > >
            > > "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the field
            > > on which he has nobly laid down his life." --General Robert
            > > Edward Lee

          • Rawlings, Kevin
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 10, 2002
              John,
              We purposefully got away from the high peaked "baseball" style cap to the
              more popular fisherman type cap that fits snugly to your head in stonewashed
              colors. White got so easily dirty. I will bring up about doing a woman's
              gardening type hat to appeal to the more feminine fans of SHAF. Interesting
              note is most women who buy our t-shirts do so to wear as night shirts. We do
              pretty good through the bookstore at Antietam and get the biggest cut of the
              proceeds. The manager of the bookshop is pretty good friends with Tom and
              allows us to sell our items through him. As it stands now, if we need items
              we get requested through mail order, we have to go up to Antietam to get
              merchandise. Bottom line, the bookstore does us real good. Thanks for
              bringing that hat up, I just had another idea I'll present at the next Board
              meeting. Did you see the new canvas bag/tote?

              Kevin
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 10, 2002
                John;

                Compared to folks like Brian Pohanka of the CWDG and others, I am
                still very green behind the ears. Although I do think I could
                probably hold my own in a discussion of Antietam with him! (LOL)

                I am very humbled by your compliment, sir; thank you!

                BTW, glad to see you have joined the SHAF...a really great
                organization...support it if you can not volunteer at a field day
                by buying one of the great t shirts SHAF has at the bookstore at
                the Antietam VC. (I have one too!)

                Your humble servant,
                Gerry Mayers
                Pvt., CS Signals,
                Longstreet's Corps

                Edward Lee

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 10, 2002
                  Kevin;

                  I am glad to see you will be doing a stint at the National Civil
                  War Museum later this year. That should be a real treat for you!

                  Hope to be able to sip a cool one with you this time... and maybe
                  you can even see me in gear... let me know if you can and I will
                  try to see if it is possible to meet.

                  Your humble servant,
                  Gerry Mayers
                  Pvt., CS Signals,
                  Longstreet's Corps

                  Edward Lee

                  Sponsor ---------------------~-->

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 12, 2002
                    Gerry
                    Actually I have been contributing to SHAF since '94 or '95. Also to the Texas
                    Monument, same time frames.
                    John Howard comes frome Carbondale, a town 15 mins. from where I live In
                    Pleasant Mount, Pa. He sent me a really nice note a few weeks ago.
                    I hope to move to a new place (for an old guy), by the end of Oct. An 1826
                    Pa. Farmhouse (like a center hall eyebrow Col.), in Bradford County. Tony
                    Turners 132Pa. Vol. Inf. country. Hopeing to have Tony and Carol over for
                    good stuff and research.
                    I would never compare you and Brian. You are both a credit to those who love
                    our history, and wish to learn from it.
                    John

                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 16, 2002
                      John;

                      Thank you for your most kind words.

                      Were you by any chance down at the field this weekend or anywhere
                      near the reenactment site?

                      Your humble servant,
                      Gerry Mayers
                      Pvt., CS Signals,