Re: [TalkAntietam] America's Bloodiest Day

  • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
      Bud Wilkinson wrote:

      > One figure that can't be calculated is the many from both sides that died as a
      > result of wounds received on that day. I wouldn't be surprised if it exceeded
      > another 1,000.

      At Fox's Gap, the Seventeenth Michigan casualties were 27 killed and 114 wounded.
      Of the wounded, 17 died before the middle of December 1862.

      At Antietam, the regiment lost 18 killed and 87 wounded. At least 6 of the
      wounded died within a few months of the battle.

      It seems to me that the final death toll at Antietam could be five to ten
      (perhaps fifteen) percent higher than the number listed on rosters as killed that
      day.

      Bill Christen
    • rotbaron@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
        In a message dated 09/10/2002 7:44:46 AM EST, gwilk@... writes:
        << Terry Bell and I will, as usual, be in the Sharpsburg area for the
        weekend. Maybe we will run across one another again. >>

        Indeed, I hope our paths cross again. I am attending the re-enactment events
        on Friday (crowds shouldn't be as horrendous as weekend) and then joining
        Rangers for the hikes on Saturday (with a quick trip into the Festival in
        between hikes).

        I'll likely be wearing an Irish Brigade t-shirt!

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
          Bill and Bud,

          Somewhere in my reading, I remember reading (maybe in Kathleen
          Ernst's groundbreaking book Too Scared to Cry ??) that farmers
          for weeks after the battle found corpses under bushes, etc. etc.
          Those corpses would not have been put down in either army's KIA
          column but probably in the MIA column, no?

          Your humble servant,
          Gerry Mayers
          Pvt., CS Signals,
          Longstreet's Corps

          Edward Lee

          Sponsor ---------------------~-->
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
            Bud,

            If you will be stopping by the reenactment, let me know. I would
            like to have the oppty to finally meet you after all the years on
            the old ADG etc.

            Your humble servant,
            Gerry Mayers
            Pvt., CS Signals,
            Longstreet's Corps

            Edward Lee

            > I've seen various estimates on the number of deaths at Antietam
            that run as
            > high as 6,000
            > or so. One figure that can't be calculated is the many from
            both sides
            > that died as a
            > result of wounds received on that day. I wouldn't be surprised
            if it
            > exceeded another
            > 1,000.
            >
            > Terry Bell and I will, as usual, be in the Sharpsburg area for
            the
            > weekend. Maybe we will
            > run across one another again.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Bud
            >
            > At 08:08 AM 9/10/02 -0400, Tom wrote:
            > > >From a recent edition of Blue & Gray Magazine....
            > >
            > >Recently revised figures on the deaths in terrorist attacks on
            September 11
            > >indicate that the Battle of Antietam is still the bloodiest
            day in American
            > >history. Not counting the 19 hijackers, the current death toll
            from the 4
            > >plane crashes is 3019, including foreigners aboard the planes
            and
            > >non-American citizens who died in the WTC.
            > >
            > >Though greater than the 2388 American lives lost at Pearl
            Harbor, the number
            > >of deaths in the 9-11 attack does not exceed the estimated
            3600 Union and
            > >Confederate soldiers (Americans all) who died in the one-day
            Battle of

            Sponsor ---------------------~-->

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
              NJ Rebel wrote:

              > ... that farmers for weeks after the battle found corpses under bushes,
              > etc. etc. Those corpses would not have been put down in either army's KIA
              > column but probably in the MIA column, no?

              The 17th had two missing...one deserted one returned (no info).

              these were probably wounded that crawled off to die.

              Bill
            • Curt Johnson
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
                The various factors and multipliers are well known, although the literature is somewhat obscure. I posted this previously on another discussion group:

                I refer you and anyone else with an interest in this subject to the late
                Col. Trevor N. Dupuy's _Attrition: Forecasting Battle Casualties and
                Equipment Losses in Modern War_. Falls Church, Va.: NOVA Pubs., 1995.
                ISBN: 0-9638692-3-X. See esp. pp. 48-54, which discuss personnel attrition
                relationships. In the Civil War, the ratio of WIA to KIA was 4.55. The
                ratio of surviving wounded to battle deaths and died of wounds was 2.38.
                These relationships have been fairly consistent since about 1700.

                There is a massive body of literature on attrition, and much of it is
                accessible via interlibrary loan, but the Dupuy work (to which I
                contributed) is the best summary and analysis of all of the various studies
                and predecessor works.

                Curt Johnson
                McLean, Va.

                > One figure that can't be calculated is the many from both sides that died as a
                > result of wounds received on that day. I wouldn't be surprised if it exceeded
                > another 1,000.

                At Fox's Gap, the Seventeenth Michigan casualties were 27 killed and 114 wounded.
                Of the wounded, 17 died before the middle of December 1862.

                At Antietam, the regiment lost 18 killed and 87 wounded. At least 6 of the
                wounded died within a few months of the battle.

                It seems to me that the final death toll at Antietam could be five to ten
                (perhaps fifteen) percent higher than the number listed on rosters as killed that
                day.

                Bill Christen

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • TR Livesey
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
                  I don't know exactly what counts as 'bloody', but on
                  Sept. 8, 1900 (Sept. is not a good month for Americans),
                  some 5000 people are to have perished in a Hurricane
                  that struck Galveston island. Nature is apparently
                  still man's worst adversary.

                  TR Livesey

                • Pa128th@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
                    In a message dated 9/10/02 10:40:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    tlivesey@... writes:

                    > I don't know exactly what counts as 'bloody', but on
                    > Sept. 8, 1900 (Sept. is not a good month for Americans),
                    > some 5000 people are to have perished in a Hurricane
                    > that struck Galveston island. Nature is apparently
                    > still man's worst adversary.

                    Good point - what are they counting as bloody? I always thought it was
                    casualties, not just deaths. That's why Antietam was at the top of the list.
                    (I thought.)

                    Paula

                  • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
                      Curt Johnson wrote:

                      > In the Civil War, the ratio of WIA to KIA was 4.55. The
                      > ratio of surviving wounded to battle deaths and died of wounds was 2.38.
                      > These relationships have been fairly consistent since about 1700.
                      >
                      > At Fox's Gap, the Seventeenth Michigan casualties were 27 killed and 114 wounded.
                      > Of the wounded, 17 died before the middle of December 1862.

                      114 divided by 27 = 4.22
                      114 divided by (27+17) = 2.59

                      > At Antietam, the regiment lost 18 killed and 87 wounded. At least 6 of the
                      > wounded died within a few months of the battle.

                      87 divided by 18 = 4.83
                      87 divided by 24 = 3.62 (not sure exactly how many wounded died within three months)

                      Interesting ratios...I'll will look into the Dupuy work.

                      I did a study of Michigan units of the "died of disease" versus "killed and died of wounds ". The ratio ranged from 156:1 to 1:1. The average for Michigan
                      troops was 2.4:1 Some other writers have quoted a there or four to one ratio. It depends on the particular regiments and their exposure to combat, unit
                      history, and the statistical sample size.

                      Bill Christen
                    • Bud Wilkinson
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 11, 2002
                        We will be in Sharpsburg tomorrow afternoon. After some time on the
                        battlefield we normally stop at the Antietam Gallery to see JIm Kehoe.
                        We also will make our annual visit to Harpers Ferry and spend most
                        of Saturday at the Heritage Festival. Our tickets for the reenactment
                        are for Sunday only. We'll look for the your IB t-shirt on Saturday.

                        Bud

                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 11, 2002
                          Bud,

                          Sunday will be the AP Hill assault reenactment... I should be
                          around my camp area earlier that day.. I will be part of Gen.
                          Maupin's Confederate Command HQ area... Stop by if you have time.

                          Your humble servant,
                          Gerry Mayers
                          Pvt., CS Signals,
                          Longstreet's Corps

                          Edward Lee

                          > We will be in Sharpsburg tomorrow afternoon. After some time
                          on the
                          > battlefield we normally stop at the Antietam Gallery to see JIm
                          Kehoe.
                          > We also will make our annual visit to Harpers Ferry and spend
                          most
                          > of Saturday at the Heritage Festival. Our tickets for the
                          reenactment
                          > are for Sunday only. We'll look for the your IB t-shirt on
                          Saturday.

                          > Bud

                        • Bud Wilkinson
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 11, 2002
                            Will do...... what is the scheduled time for the AP Hill event?
                            We want to be sure to get to the site on Rench Rd. early!!
                            I remember the traffic in '97, although it was much easier
                            getting in than getting out. :>)

                            Bud

                          • rotbaron@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 11, 2002
                              In a message dated 09/11/2002 9:17:16 AM EST, gwilk@... writes:
                              << what is the scheduled time for the AP Hill event? >>

                              The A.P. Hill's Attack scenario is at 2 PM.

                              A full schedule is at:
                              http://www.antietamreenactment.org/events.htm

                              Tom Shay
                            • Bud Wilkinson