America's Bloodiest Day

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
      From a recent edition of Blue & Gray Magazine....

      Recently revised figures on the deaths in terrorist attacks on September 11
      indicate that the Battle of Antietam is still the bloodiest day in American
      history. Not counting the 19 hijackers, the current death toll from the 4
      plane crashes is 3019, including foreigners aboard the planes and
      non-American citizens who died in the WTC.

      Though greater than the 2388 American lives lost at Pearl Harbor, the number
      of deaths in the 9-11 attack does not exceed the estimated 3600 Union and
      Confederate soldiers (Americans all) who died in the one-day Battle of
      Antietam (some estimates run well over 4000).

      Tom Shay
    • Bud Wilkinson
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
        Hi Tom,

        I've seen various estimates on the number of deaths at Antietam that run as
        high as 6,000
        or so. One figure that can't be calculated is the many from both sides
        that died as a
        result of wounds received on that day. I wouldn't be surprised if it
        exceeded another
        1,000.

        Terry Bell and I will, as usual, be in the Sharpsburg area for the
        weekend. Maybe we will
        run across one another again.

        Regards,
        Bud

        At 08:08 AM 9/10/02 -0400, Tom wrote:
        > >From a recent edition of Blue & Gray Magazine....
        >
        >Recently revised figures on the deaths in terrorist attacks on September 11
        >indicate that the Battle of Antietam is still the bloodiest day in American
        >history. Not counting the 19 hijackers, the current death toll from the 4
        >plane crashes is 3019, including foreigners aboard the planes and
        >non-American citizens who died in the WTC.
        >
        >Though greater than the 2388 American lives lost at Pearl Harbor, the number
        >of deaths in the 9-11 attack does not exceed the estimated 3600 Union and
        >Confederate soldiers (Americans all) who died in the one-day Battle of
        >Antietam (some estimates run well over 4000).
        >
        >Tom Shay
      • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
          Bud Wilkinson wrote:

          > One figure that can't be calculated is the many from both sides that died as a
          > result of wounds received on that day. I wouldn't be surprised if it exceeded
          > another 1,000.

          At Fox's Gap, the Seventeenth Michigan casualties were 27 killed and 114 wounded.
          Of the wounded, 17 died before the middle of December 1862.

          At Antietam, the regiment lost 18 killed and 87 wounded. At least 6 of the
          wounded died within a few months of the battle.

          It seems to me that the final death toll at Antietam could be five to ten
          (perhaps fifteen) percent higher than the number listed on rosters as killed that
          day.

          Bill Christen
        • rotbaron@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
            In a message dated 09/10/2002 7:44:46 AM EST, gwilk@... writes:
            << Terry Bell and I will, as usual, be in the Sharpsburg area for the
            weekend. Maybe we will run across one another again. >>

            Indeed, I hope our paths cross again. I am attending the re-enactment events
            on Friday (crowds shouldn't be as horrendous as weekend) and then joining
            Rangers for the hikes on Saturday (with a quick trip into the Festival in
            between hikes).

            I'll likely be wearing an Irish Brigade t-shirt!

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
              Bill and Bud,

              Somewhere in my reading, I remember reading (maybe in Kathleen
              Ernst's groundbreaking book Too Scared to Cry ??) that farmers
              for weeks after the battle found corpses under bushes, etc. etc.
              Those corpses would not have been put down in either army's KIA
              column but probably in the MIA column, no?

              Your humble servant,
              Gerry Mayers
              Pvt., CS Signals,
              Longstreet's Corps

              Edward Lee

              Sponsor ---------------------~-->
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
                Bud,

                If you will be stopping by the reenactment, let me know. I would
                like to have the oppty to finally meet you after all the years on
                the old ADG etc.

                Your humble servant,
                Gerry Mayers
                Pvt., CS Signals,
                Longstreet's Corps

                Edward Lee

                Sponsor ---------------------~-->

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
                  NJ Rebel wrote:

                  > ... that farmers for weeks after the battle found corpses under bushes,
                  > etc. etc. Those corpses would not have been put down in either army's KIA
                  > column but probably in the MIA column, no?

                  The 17th had two missing...one deserted one returned (no info).

                  these were probably wounded that crawled off to die.

                  Bill
                • Curt Johnson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
                    The various factors and multipliers are well known, although the literature is somewhat obscure. I posted this previously on another discussion group:

                    I refer you and anyone else with an interest in this subject to the late
                    Col. Trevor N. Dupuy's _Attrition: Forecasting Battle Casualties and
                    Equipment Losses in Modern War_. Falls Church, Va.: NOVA Pubs., 1995.
                    ISBN: 0-9638692-3-X. See esp. pp. 48-54, which discuss personnel attrition
                    relationships. In the Civil War, the ratio of WIA to KIA was 4.55. The
                    ratio of surviving wounded to battle deaths and died of wounds was 2.38.
                    These relationships have been fairly consistent since about 1700.

                    There is a massive body of literature on attrition, and much of it is
                    accessible via interlibrary loan, but the Dupuy work (to which I
                    contributed) is the best summary and analysis of all of the various studies
                    and predecessor works.

                    Curt Johnson
                    McLean, Va.

                    > One figure that can't be calculated is the many from both sides that died as a
                    > result of wounds received on that day. I wouldn't be surprised if it exceeded
                    > another 1,000.

                    At Fox's Gap, the Seventeenth Michigan casualties were 27 killed and 114 wounded.
                    Of the wounded, 17 died before the middle of December 1862.

                    At Antietam, the regiment lost 18 killed and 87 wounded. At least 6 of the
                    wounded died within a few months of the battle.

                    It seems to me that the final death toll at Antietam could be five to ten
                    (perhaps fifteen) percent higher than the number listed on rosters as killed that
                    day.

                    Bill Christen

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • TR Livesey
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
                      I don't know exactly what counts as 'bloody', but on
                      Sept. 8, 1900 (Sept. is not a good month for Americans),
                      some 5000 people are to have perished in a Hurricane
                      that struck Galveston island. Nature is apparently
                      still man's worst adversary.

                      TR Livesey

                    • Pa128th@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
                        In a message dated 9/10/02 10:40:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                        tlivesey@... writes:

                        > I don't know exactly what counts as 'bloody', but on
                        > Sept. 8, 1900 (Sept. is not a good month for Americans),
                        > some 5000 people are to have perished in a Hurricane
                        > that struck Galveston island. Nature is apparently
                        > still man's worst adversary.

                        Good point - what are they counting as bloody? I always thought it was
                        casualties, not just deaths. That's why Antietam was at the top of the list.
                        (I thought.)

                        Paula

                      • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 10, 2002
                          Curt Johnson wrote:

                          > In the Civil War, the ratio of WIA to KIA was 4.55. The
                          > ratio of surviving wounded to battle deaths and died of wounds was 2.38.
                          > These relationships have been fairly consistent since about 1700.
                          >
                          > At Fox's Gap, the Seventeenth Michigan casualties were 27 killed and 114 wounded.
                          > Of the wounded, 17 died before the middle of December 1862.

                          114 divided by 27 = 4.22
                          114 divided by (27+17) = 2.59

                          > At Antietam, the regiment lost 18 killed and 87 wounded. At least 6 of the
                          > wounded died within a few months of the battle.

                          87 divided by 18 = 4.83
                          87 divided by 24 = 3.62 (not sure exactly how many wounded died within three months)

                          Interesting ratios...I'll will look into the Dupuy work.

                          I did a study of Michigan units of the "died of disease" versus "killed and died of wounds ". The ratio ranged from 156:1 to 1:1. The average for Michigan
                          troops was 2.4:1 Some other writers have quoted a there or four to one ratio. It depends on the particular regiments and their exposure to combat, unit
                          history, and the statistical sample size.

                          Bill Christen
                        • Bud Wilkinson
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 11, 2002
                            We will be in Sharpsburg tomorrow afternoon. After some time on the
                            battlefield we normally stop at the Antietam Gallery to see JIm Kehoe.
                            We also will make our annual visit to Harpers Ferry and spend most
                            of Saturday at the Heritage Festival. Our tickets for the reenactment
                            are for Sunday only. We'll look for the your IB t-shirt on Saturday.

                            Bud

                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 11, 2002
                              Bud,

                              Sunday will be the AP Hill assault reenactment... I should be
                              around my camp area earlier that day.. I will be part of Gen.
                              Maupin's Confederate Command HQ area... Stop by if you have time.

                              Your humble servant,
                              Gerry Mayers
                              Pvt., CS Signals,
                              Longstreet's Corps

                              Edward Lee

                              > We will be in Sharpsburg tomorrow afternoon. After some time
                              on the
                              > battlefield we normally stop at the Antietam Gallery to see JIm
                              Kehoe.
                              > We also will make our annual visit to Harpers Ferry and spend
                              most
                              > of Saturday at the Heritage Festival. Our tickets for the
                              reenactment
                              > are for Sunday only. We'll look for the your IB t-shirt on
                              Saturday.

                              > Bud

                            • Bud Wilkinson
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 11, 2002
                                Will do...... what is the scheduled time for the AP Hill event?
                                We want to be sure to get to the site on Rench Rd. early!!
                                I remember the traffic in '97, although it was much easier
                                getting in than getting out. :>)

                                Bud

                              • rotbaron@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 11, 2002
                                  In a message dated 09/11/2002 9:17:16 AM EST, gwilk@... writes:
                                  << what is the scheduled time for the AP Hill event? >>

                                  The A.P. Hill's Attack scenario is at 2 PM.

                                  A full schedule is at:
                                  http://www.antietamreenactment.org/events.htm

                                  Tom Shay
                                • Bud Wilkinson