Re: [TalkAntietam] Reenactment of Antietam

    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 9, 2002
      Dave,

      I will be at that event. There is INSURANCE which is very
      expensive, land use permits, porta johns, road construction,
      etc., not to mention food, water, etc. Corporate sponsorship was
      sought to help defray many of the costs. There are 13,000
      reenactors registered for the event and they are expecting a
      sizable number of spectators. There is also event staff that have
      to be covered, etc.

      I agree with some of what you say, but reenacting needs to cover
      its expenses and pay its own way SOMEHOW. I am not shouting at
      you but emphasizing how prohibitive it could be cost wise if the
      public bore all the costs for an event. The mega events are
      really not a true way to reenact but they are a very good way to
      educate a large group of people into some idea of what the actual
      soldiers experienced in the battle situations. Living history
      events and similar where either the public pays or the reenactors
      pay are more locally run ones.

      I am still relatively new at the reenacting hobby but I am sure
      those in the group who have been in the hobby for several years
      could provide more information.

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Pvt., CS Signals,
      Longstreet's Corps

      Edward Lee

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 9, 2002
        Dave Clugh wrote:

        > Can anyone give insite as to the reasons Civil War Reenactments charge such high registration fees, or even why registration fees are charged at all?

        Dave,

        Theoretically, as performers, we should be getting paid! While compared to your investment in an accurate outfit, a $10 fee to play is small. If you play golf it might be a $30 fee. however we in the role-palying community have allowed the mega event sponsors to not give the enactors any proper recompense.

        > I recall doing a Civil War event at Cedar Creek one year and having to shell out money for straw and then firewood!

        Somewhere in the CW role-playing community the idea of providing amenities to participants at their cost evolved. Many historical sites and sponsors were (and some still are) happy to provide the amenities or even pay people to participate. As the "commercial" interests in mega events and CW movie making have grown the cost of amenities for large events was bigger than site budgets. and
        the enactors were told to kick in. It didn't help that many in the enactment community are all to willing to do movie work for free and some "face time" either. This set a dangerous precedent.

        So today at Antietam with all the corporate sponsorship there is no reason why the "performers" should have to pay. At Perryville (about one/third the size of Antietam), the entire enactment is being paid for by the Kentucky Parks Department. The $10 registration fee goes directly to the battlefield preservation fund...different mindset here in the west.

        The lack of a national CW role-palying organization also prevents proper representation and keeps the masses from bargaining with event sponsors.

        A minor point on amenities...if the military enactors were serious, they would not need straw for bedding...it wasn't issued. This could save a few bucks. :<)

        Bill Christen (who is paying $240 just to set up the Watchdog shebang in the field merchants area. The Watchdog is a non-profit educational and battle preservation organization. I will be focusing on raising funds for SHAF.)
      • Rawlings, Kevin
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 10, 2002
          Dave,

          From having been chairman of ACWCC during the the Antietam and Gettysburg
          125th re-enactments, I can tell you that the registration fees that came in
          during the early days of event advertising was used to secure many of the
          logistics of the events; ie., porta-potties, firewood(we never charged for
          it), straw, water tankers, event bond and insurance, buying and renting of
          tools and heavy equipment, re-enactor insurance(we covered all re-enactors
          during the Gettysburg event), payment to the landowner for rent of his
          property, ICE, and various other sundry things. We were a non-profit
          organization, the groups running now are not. They are for profit with paid
          staff and workers. All of ours were volunteers. We were able after all the
          bills were paid to donate $2,000.00 to SHAF in 1987 and $5,000.00 to GBPA
          for the 1988 Gettyburg event for battlefield preservation.

          After my working in the re-enactment field and several brusque
          conversations with the new "king" of re-enactments Donny Warlick (he
          basically told me the re-enactment mentality has changed,but I don't see
          much of that), I gladly only do living histories at historical sites. You
          can only get some bright spots of authenticity at such large events where
          youcan have authenticity control at historic sites in smaller numbers. But
          that is another lengthy e-mail in itself. I've lost my desire to participate
          in the circus atmosphere of these grand events. But that is just my feeling.
          Unfortunately it is the early money raised by registration of re-enactment
          units that get the event preparations moving. I too have been appalled by
          the rising cost of event attendance. Many of us that attended the 135th
          Gettysburg in my artillery unit during the event looked at one another and
          said "What the hell are we doing here and what were we thinking!" and
          decided not to do any more re-enactments. Those are just my feelings (as
          well as the other members of the unit) and mine alone. I'm just tired of the
          politics and the other bs that goes along with these large CW re-enactments.

          During the 125th I worked on 1st Manassas (1986), Chairman for Antietam
          (1987), & Gettysburg (1988), and began work on Chickamauga but left before
          the big huricane debacle that September of 1988 for a for profit
          re-enactment organization called Napoleonic Tactics. I've done small events
          for the several preservation groups I belong to over the years and the
          Sharpsburg Heritage Festival, but I am retired now from doing this. I'll
          participate only as I've done my time in hell. It'll have to be something
          reaaly special to get me back out to work on an event.
          I hope I answered one or two of your questions.

          Kevin Rawlings

        • Rawlings, Kevin
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 10, 2002
            Dave,

            A little more about the mega re-enactment at the Antietam area this weekend.
            The event co-ordinators are not allowing preservation groups like SHAF and
            other non-profit groups to sell t-shirts and hats and other items that are
            the staple of our fundraising because they want to have complete control of
            the money brought in from the sale of their t-shirts and hats and not be
            diluted from having so many other groups cutting into their profits. Books
            are okay, but I can't remember if we are allowed to sell our raffle tickets
            for a Don Trioni framed print. There was a fair sized list of "cans" and
            "can'ts". SHAF and several other groups have been promised a donation of the
            proceeds raised from the event after all bills are paid. It still stings to
            have our biggest money makers forbidden from our table merchandise.

            Kevin Rawlings
          • John Furey
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 10, 2002
              Gerry
              Don't be so modest. You are knowledgeable of the CW and one of the big
              reasons of reinactments is to educiate the public. You do this by talking,
              not firing.
              I once gave a lecture at Marist College on the Battle of Antietam. I'm no Tom
              Clemans, but the students and public thanked me not for the lecture per say,
              but what they never knew about The CW in general and the battle in
              particular.
              Guys like you do this each time you go out on the field. Pat yourself on the
              back, you are a credit to all us buffs.
              John

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 10, 2002
                Kevin
                And also "marched" me up the Gap last year at the Muster. (remember I was going
                to the Cardiologist the next week). I still made it up though with Pete Chittick
                (7 yrs. older).
                I am grateful to know men like you and Gerry and Tom, it was not that long ago
                that i even knew there was an Antietam.
                John

                "Rawlings, Kevin" wrote:

                > Dave,
                >
                > >From having been chairman of ACWCC during the the Antietam and Gettysburg
                > 125th re-enactments, I can tell you that the registration fees that came in
                > during the early days of event advertising was used to secure many of the
                > logistics of the events; ie., porta-potties, firewood(we never charged for
                > it), straw, water tankers, event bond and insurance, buying and renting of
                > tools and heavy equipment, re-enactor insurance(we covered all re-enactors
                > during the Gettysburg event), payment to the landowner for rent of his
                > property, ICE, and various other sundry things. We were a non-profit
                > organization, the groups running now are not. They are for profit with paid
                > staff and workers. All of ours were volunteers. We were able after all the
                > bills were paid to donate $2,000.00 to SHAF in 1987 and $5,000.00 to GBPA
                > for the 1988 Gettyburg event for battlefield preservation.
                >
                > After my working in the re-enactment field and several brusque
                > conversations with the new "king" of re-enactments Donny Warlick (he
                > basically told me the re-enactment mentality has changed,but I don't see
                > much of that), I gladly only do living histories at historical sites. You
                > can only get some bright spots of authenticity at such large events where
                > youcan have authenticity control at historic sites in smaller numbers. But
                > that is another lengthy e-mail in itself. I've lost my desire to participate
                > in the circus atmosphere of these grand events. But that is just my feeling.
                > Unfortunately it is the early money raised by registration of re-enactment
                > units that get the event preparations moving. I too have been appalled by
                > the rising cost of event attendance. Many of us that attended the 135th
                > Gettysburg in my artillery unit during the event looked at one another and
                > said "What the hell are we doing here and what were we thinking!" and
                > decided not to do any more re-enactments. Those are just my feelings (as
                > well as the other members of the unit) and mine alone. I'm just tired of the
                > politics and the other bs that goes along with these large CW re-enactments.
                >
                > During the 125th I worked on 1st Manassas (1986), Chairman for Antietam
                > (1987), & Gettysburg (1988), and began work on Chickamauga but left before
                > the big huricane debacle that September of 1988 for a for profit
                > re-enactment organization called Napoleonic Tactics. I've done small events
                > for the several preservation groups I belong to over the years and the
                > Sharpsburg Heritage Festival, but I am retired now from doing this. I'll
                > participate only as I've done my time in hell. It'll have to be something
                > reaaly special to get me back out to work on an event.
                > I hope I answered one or two of your questions.
                >
                > Kevin Rawlings

              • John Furey
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 10, 2002
                  Kevin
                  Linda and I bought hat and t-shirts at the bookstore.(SHAF). how do you do from
                  them. Another thing Linda says women would much more be inclined to buy styled
                  more for a lady. Like a gardening hat with a SHAF patch.
                  John

                  "Rawlings, Kevin" wrote:

                  > Dave,
                  >
                  > A little more about the mega re-enactment at the Antietam area this weekend.
                  > The event co-ordinators are not allowing preservation groups like SHAF and
                  > other non-profit groups to sell t-shirts and hats and other items that are
                  > the staple of our fundraising because they want to have complete control of
                  > the money brought in from the sale of their t-shirts and hats and not be
                  > diluted from having so many other groups cutting into their profits. Books
                  > are okay, but I can't remember if we are allowed to sell our raffle tickets
                  > for a Don Trioni framed print. There was a fair sized list of "cans" and
                  > "can'ts". SHAF and several other groups have been promised a donation of the
                  > proceeds raised from the event after all bills are paid. It still stings to
                  > have our biggest money makers forbidden from our table merchandise.
                  >
                  > Kevin Rawlings

                • John Furey
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 10, 2002
                    Group
                    Sorry for the spelling!!
                    John

                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 10, 2002
                      John,
                      We purposefully got away from the high peaked "baseball" style cap to the
                      more popular fisherman type cap that fits snugly to your head in stonewashed
                      colors. White got so easily dirty. I will bring up about doing a woman's
                      gardening type hat to appeal to the more feminine fans of SHAF. Interesting
                      note is most women who buy our t-shirts do so to wear as night shirts. We do
                      pretty good through the bookstore at Antietam and get the biggest cut of the
                      proceeds. The manager of the bookshop is pretty good friends with Tom and
                      allows us to sell our items through him. As it stands now, if we need items
                      we get requested through mail order, we have to go up to Antietam to get
                      merchandise. Bottom line, the bookstore does us real good. Thanks for
                      bringing that hat up, I just had another idea I'll present at the next Board
                      meeting. Did you see the new canvas bag/tote?

                      Kevin
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 10, 2002
                        John;

                        Compared to folks like Brian Pohanka of the CWDG and others, I am
                        still very green behind the ears. Although I do think I could
                        probably hold my own in a discussion of Antietam with him! (LOL)

                        I am very humbled by your compliment, sir; thank you!

                        BTW, glad to see you have joined the SHAF...a really great
                        organization...support it if you can not volunteer at a field day
                        by buying one of the great t shirts SHAF has at the bookstore at
                        the Antietam VC. (I have one too!)

                        Your humble servant,
                        Gerry Mayers
                        Pvt., CS Signals,
                        Longstreet's Corps

                        Edward Lee

                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 10, 2002
                          Kevin;

                          I am glad to see you will be doing a stint at the National Civil
                          War Museum later this year. That should be a real treat for you!

                          Hope to be able to sip a cool one with you this time... and maybe
                          you can even see me in gear... let me know if you can and I will
                          try to see if it is possible to meet.

                          Your humble servant,
                          Gerry Mayers
                          Pvt., CS Signals,
                          Longstreet's Corps

                          Edward Lee

                          Sponsor ---------------------~-->

                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 12, 2002
                            Gerry
                            Actually I have been contributing to SHAF since '94 or '95. Also to the Texas
                            Monument, same time frames.
                            John Howard comes frome Carbondale, a town 15 mins. from where I live In
                            Pleasant Mount, Pa. He sent me a really nice note a few weeks ago.
                            I hope to move to a new place (for an old guy), by the end of Oct. An 1826
                            Pa. Farmhouse (like a center hall eyebrow Col.), in Bradford County. Tony
                            Turners 132Pa. Vol. Inf. country. Hopeing to have Tony and Carol over for
                            good stuff and research.
                            I would never compare you and Brian. You are both a credit to those who love
                            our history, and wish to learn from it.
                            John

                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 16, 2002
                              John;

                              Thank you for your most kind words.

                              Were you by any chance down at the field this weekend or anywhere
                              near the reenactment site?

                              Your humble servant,
                              Gerry Mayers
                              Pvt., CS Signals,